Canon SX520 HS: Value for the money

Started Sep 24, 2014 | User reviews
slick rex New Member • Posts: 2
Canon SX520 HS: Value for the money

I was actually looking for super zoom & good image camera that was gonna fit my budget. I will use it mainly for my vacation trip to Singapore to watch the 2014 F1 Singapore Gran Prix in which I am not sure if I will be able to take photos near my area.

On top my research, I was tempted to purchase Canon SX700 HS for its 30x optical zoom. Its reviews are nice and the video sample that I saw from a website is also good. Next on my list was Sony WX300 for its 20x optical zoom and good battery life (though the model was a bit older).

Upon comparing the prices and specs of these two items, one salesman recommended that I purchase the NEW Canon SX520 HS. Well, the unit is actually only a week old after its release in SG and I have not much reviews to compare on. But for its value and specs I think its a good buy. 42x optical zoom that comes along with 16MP is hard to find in a compact camera.

Also with its SLR look, its amazing how my budget easily fits in and its handles feels like you own a SLR especially when u try to maximize the zoom capability of the unit.

The images are nice, very sharp especially in daytime. The zoom is very awesome. i was able to zoom in a clock tower which I think is 80 - 100 feet away from me and the results are AMAZING. Crisp and sharp.

I am still learning diff functions but I think this one has is very practical for value of money.

The only cons here is that I wish they had built in Wi-Fi too for easier sharing and a bit of additional battery life.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Good price for the specs.

4.5 stars (I could have given this 5 stars if it has Wi-Fi hahaha!)

Taken around 80-100 feet away. Auto

Sentosa

Hopefully I can get more good shots next time using this prized mini-SLR

Photography learning on-going...........

>> follow me on instagram @slickrex4threee

© Rex Cesar '14

slick rex's gear list:slick rex's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX520
Canon PowerShot SX520 HS
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 1008 mm (42×)
Announced: Jul 29, 2014
slick rex's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Canon PowerShot SX520 PowerShot SX700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevenic Senior Member • Posts: 1,459
Re: Canon SX520 HS: Value for the money

Congratulations on your purchase. I like the canon superzooms, I just bought a canon sx50.

Cheers

Steve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads