pentax K-50 what to expect

Started Sep 22, 2014 | Discussions
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom Senior Member • Posts: 2,215
pentax K-50 what to expect

so I just ordered a pentax K-50 ..

I have read/perused the reviews and watch youtube videos about it.... it seems like it is a weather resistant/weather sealed cam.. mid-range camera..comparable to Nikon D7100 or D5300(?) ..

reading reviews and having the camera on hand is different.. so I want to ask the users here who have it..what do i expect from it? is it light (with the kit lens) ? I like light cameras . I got the red.. i wonder if it will be slippery to hold? i like that it has two control wheels..i like that..

how is the interface?

and that mode dial.. it is not PSAM.. it is different.. hhmm..

i wonder is i can see the difference in using the OVF.. since it has a bright pentaprism viewfinder with 100% frame coverage..
thanks all..

Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jack Simpson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,580
Re: pentax K-50 what to expect

Hi John,

I don't think you'll be disappointed and, IMHO, I'd place the K-50 more towards the D7100 rather than the D5300 because, let's face it, the K-3 is above the D7100

But, more towards to your, actual, query, I'm hoping you actually went to a camera shop and had a fiddle with a K-50 and some glass rather than just relying on internet $hite …no matter who you read/listened to.  If you didn't go to a shop, you really should have, if not, just for ergonomics

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Ricoh GR Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-r Pentax K-50 +7 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,838

It is a much better camera than people realize, IQ is outstanding, AAs are so convenient.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more
McSpin Regular Member • Posts: 482

Expect the best camera for that amount of money on the market!

dragra Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

I have the K-30 which is all the same hardware, K-50 has just different styling. It is quite similar to D7100 in term of size & weight. Interface could use a update, although life is simple with the status screen & control panels. Maybe some things are just not as intuitive as they could be, especially if you come over from a Nikon campus. Mode dial features the classics P, Tv, Av and M with some nice Pentax only extras such as Sv (sensitivity variation) and TAv (Time+Aperture variation).

Viewfinder is excellent, bright and with 100% coverage. Sealing is also a big plus, but consider that it only comes to life when you attach a WR lens to it, otherwise water can enter the camera from the bayonet. Also video is quite decent quality and usable if you are into movies.

You can expect top notch image quality out of the camera, that also depends on the quality of your lenses.

-- hide signature --

tell me what your 3 favorite lenses are - and I'll tell you what kind of a photographer you are...

dragra's gear list:dragra's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Pentax X-5 Canon PowerShot G5 X Pentax K20D +15 more
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

McSpin wrote:

Expect the best camera for that amount of money on the market!

Ditto that in spades.  K-30 and K-50 are both excellent cameras, unquestionably the best bang for the buck on the APS-C market.  I don't know what viewfinder you are accustomed to, but if it is not a Pentax pentaprism, you have just advanced your OVF experience.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
kenwklau
kenwklau Regular Member • Posts: 475

dragra wrote:

I have the K-30 which is all the same hardware, K-50 has just different styling. It is quite similar to D7100 in term of size & weight. Interface could use a update, although life is simple with the status screen & control panels. Maybe some things are just not as intuitive as they could be, especially if you come over from a Nikon campus. Mode dial features the classics P, Tv, Av and M with some nice Pentax only extras such as Sv (sensitivity variation) and TAv (Time+Aperture variation).

Viewfinder is excellent, bright and with 100% coverage. Sealing is also a big plus, but consider that it only comes to life when you attach a WR lens to it, otherwise water can enter the camera from the bayonet. Also video is quite decent quality and usable if you are into movies.

You can expect top notch image quality out of the camera, that also depends on the quality of your lenses.

No one mention the build quality yet.  I have the K-30 too and I am impressed with its build quality.

Mine was dropped from the backseat of a large 4-wheel drive to concrete pavement during a heavy downpour.  Guess what ?  No repair was needed because it functions perfectly after the fall with a small dent on bottom side of the right hand side handle.  I suppose I was lucky because it landed on the ground with its STRONG side but I was still very impressed with its build quality.

K-5's build quality is better but I chose K-30 mainly for its focus peaking ability.

To the OP, have fun with your K-50 which is way better than the D5300 imho.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more

I guess, now, we just wait to see if Mr. Paras will heed our totally objective :roll eyes:  advice 

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,776
Re: pentax K-50 what to expect - Jack...

I don't know about objectivity.

Don't forget the Hypenblurb uncertainty principle with respect to objectivity
The more objective you think you are then the more effect you have on the realness of the thing
Too much objectivity and you can lose sight of the truth

Just sayin'...

>>>> as far as PASM

P = P = Program
A = Av = Aperture Value
S = Tv = Time Value
M = M = Manual

The Tv and Av designations are maybe just older...
S & A are more to the point

I think the camera will be a good thing.

Not quite D7100 is my assessment
More than that other D-camera you mentioned

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Desert Cruiser
Desert Cruiser Regular Member • Posts: 401

We bought a K-500 which is almost the same, w/o the weather seals and viewfinder focus location points. The location points are visible in live view however. The camera is much better than the 5300, we bought one of them also and returned it. The kit lenses on the K-50 are very nice for sharpness. The camera is heavy as it has a metal chassis but that is great for a steadier hold. Ergonomically it's also good. Easy to change settings. Once in a while the camera miss-reads the exposure and the video on the camera is pretty much worthless. I say that because we also use a Panasonic M 4/3's which is great for video. Stills for the most part are among the best in the APS-C class. Very little sharpening is every required. The sensor is great and long exposures at night work really well. If you know how to use a camera and all it's settings you like it.

Don....

-- hide signature --

http://www.in-the-desert.com/
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

Desert Cruiser's gear list:Desert Cruiser's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony SLT-A58 Pentax K-500
Re: pentax K-50 what to expect - Jack...

Tan68 wrote:

I don't know about objectivity.

Oh, come on, Mr. Subjective ;-).

Don't forget the Hypenblurb uncertainty principle with respect to objectivity
The more objective you think you are then the more effect you have on the realness of the thing
Too much objectivity and you can lose sight of the truth

Just sayin'...

>>>> as far as PASM

P = P = Program
A = Av = Aperture Value
S = Tv = Time Value
M = M = Manual

The Tv and Av designations are maybe just older...
S & A are more to the point

I think the camera will be a good thing.

Not quite D7100 is my assessment

That's probably true, just a touch above :_D

More than that other D-camera you mentioned

A bigger touch above, Tan

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

Desert Cruiser wrote:

We bought a K-500 which is almost the same, w/o the weather seals and viewfinder focus location points. The location points are visible in live view however. The camera is much better than the 5300, we bought one of them also and returned it. The kit lenses on the K-50 are very nice for sharpness. The camera is heavy as it has a metal chassis but that is great for a steadier hold. Ergonomically it's also good. Easy to change settings. Once in a while the camera miss-reads the exposure and the video on the camera is pretty much worthless. I say that because we also use a Panasonic M 4/3's which is great for video. Stills for the most part are among the best in the APS-C class. Very little sharpening is every required. The sensor is great and long exposures at night work really well. If you know how to use a camera and all it's settings you like it.

That last line, Don, should be listed with every camera manufacturers cameras

Cheers,

Jack

Don....

-- hide signature --

http://www.in-the-desert.com/
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"Some pictures leave you speechless"

-- hide signature --

OP johnparas11zenfoliodotcom Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

Jack Simpson wrote:

I guess, now, we just wait to see if Mr. Paras will heed our totally objective :roll eyes: advice

Cheers,

Jack

I just received the K-50 today.. in RED

build quality of course is superb.. Image quality etc etc.. I am happy.. except... I think I am just used to Nikon and Canon skin tones... at least the way my skin looks like in the photos look a lot better than in real life... but with the pentax k-50 my son's or my skin tones.. look a little worse than reality-- more yellowish undertones and "ashy" ..with Canon and Nikon (on "vivid" setting).. we look pinker or healthier looking ..I have the photo image on "bright" on this Pentax K-50..
I guess I have to experiment on the settings on what would be the best way to mimic the skin tones the other 2 camera makers make us look like..

any suggestions?

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:

Jack Simpson wrote:

I guess, now, we just wait to see if Mr. Paras will heed our totally objective :roll eyes: advice

Cheers,

Jack

I just received the K-50 today.. in RED

build quality of course is superb.. Image quality etc etc.. I am happy.. except... I think I am just used to Nikon and Canon skin tones... at least the way my skin looks like in the photos look a lot better than in real life... but with the pentax k-50 my son's or my skin tones.. look a little worse than reality-- more yellowish undertones and "ashy" ..with Canon and Nikon (on "vivid" setting).. we look pinker or healthier looking ..I have the photo image on "bright" on this Pentax K-50..
I guess I have to experiment on the settings on what would be the best way to mimic the skin tones the other 2 camera makers make us look like..

any suggestions?

Hi John,

I only have the K-r but I, usually, have mine set to "natural"

Cheers and good shooting

Jack

-- hide signature --

kenwklau
kenwklau Regular Member • Posts: 475

Jack Simpson wrote:

Hi John,

I only have the K-r but I, usually, have mine set to "natural"

Cheers and good shooting

Jack

-- hide signature --

+1

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
dragra Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

The subtle skin tone is a personal preference. It's quite usual that upon new gear there comes some difference with what you were used to see there before.

We have many elements here, in the color control environment, which can make cross-system calibration easy. Checking your gear color spaces and re-calibrating your monitors is a good start. Creating color profiles for each lens also helps.

About brand specific color rendering: I never liked the Canon skin tone, because it is to "reddish" and looks unnatural to me. You always need a perfect makeup to get the skin right with Canon gear. Nikon skin tone was too cold and tends to be "greenish". This was not as bad as Canon, but in some cases it can look lifeless and unnatural. Pentax produces the most neutral and "close to the truth" skin tone - for my taste - from all dSLRs.

-- hide signature --

tell me what your 3 favorite lenses are - and I'll tell you what kind of a photographer you are...

dragra's gear list:dragra's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Pentax X-5 Canon PowerShot G5 X Pentax K20D +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads