On my Camera 70% of the time

Started Sep 19, 2014 | User reviews
Calaverasgrande
Calaverasgrande Forum Member • Posts: 68
On my Camera 70% of the time

Bought this one last year at the B&H store in Manhattan.  It was the first lens I bought aside from the kit lens.  At the time I was instantly blow away by the greater image quality of this mere non IS non USM lens. It certainly cleans the clock of both my STM lenses. (18-55 and 55-250).

In comparison to my other lenses it is as if a veil was lifted. More contrast, more saturation. I can gun for higher contrast images and it works well with this lens. I'd also noticed that this focal length does seem a lot more natural than the 50mm "nifty fifty" in terms of viewing angle, but also the color and contrast looks better to me as well.

I can get decent photos with any of my Canon lenses. However the ones I get with this guy seem to take post manipulation better, and the focus just works the way I expect it to.

As far as motor noise, believe it or not I like to hear the motor. That way I know if the AF 'changed it's mind' before I snap a shot.

My STM lenses are only slightly quieter and I rarely use AF when shooting viddy anyway!

The metal mount has been described as 'too tight' elsewhere. That is a very odd complaint. I like the solidity of the mating between lens and body. The whole fit and finish of this lens is very good IMHO. Lovely focus ring action.

Things I do not like;

I very much wish the salesperson had mentioned the USM IS version of this lens. I may have balked at the price, but in the long run I would have preferred that all my lenses be USM/IS versions at the minimum. If I am going to shoot more video I will want to sell this (or keep it as a spare?) and upgrade.

The lens appears to have a slight orangish tint. This makes certain images pop. It looks wonderful on skin tones, in bars and clubs under low light and certain street scenes. However in cloudy overcast daylight shots I end up having to color correct a lot to get a natural look.

I've bought several more lenses since, but I keep going back to this one. It's like a perfectly broken in comfortable pair of jeans. I just wish it had IS!

-- hide signature --

I take photos to decompress from the day job.

Calaverasgrande's gear list:Calaverasgrande's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EF 35mm F2.0
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF • 2507A002
Calaverasgrande's score
Average community score
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,915
A few downsides

With certain light conditions it lacks a certain something (contrast issue?), it can have ugly bokeh at certain distances, at others it is ok and at some just gorgeous (close ups/MFD/past MFD with 12mm ext. tube).

It can get stuck in its focus path (something tube-ish jams inside, which you can hit or shake loose again). It shows 5 sided highlights in bokeh when stopped down. In FF its extreme corners are soft. Only its really extreme corners, so not really an issue unless one is a compulsive pixel peeper.

Do I like it? Yes I do, quite a bit. Especially on APS-C.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,728
Re: On my Camera 70% of the time

Calaverasgrande wrote:

Bought this one last year at the B&H store in Manhattan. It was the first lens I bought aside from the kit lens. At the time I was instantly blow away by the greater image quality of this mere non IS non USM lens. It certainly cleans the clock of both my STM lenses. (18-55 and 55-250).

In comparison to my other lenses it is as if a veil was lifted. More contrast, more saturation. I can gun for higher contrast images and it works well with this lens. I'd also noticed that this focal length does seem a lot more natural than the 50mm "nifty fifty" in terms of viewing angle, but also the color and contrast looks better to me as well.

I can get decent photos with any of my Canon lenses. However the ones I get with this guy seem to take post manipulation better, and the focus just works the way I expect it to.

As far as motor noise, believe it or not I like to hear the motor. That way I know if the AF 'changed it's mind' before I snap a shot.

My STM lenses are only slightly quieter and I rarely use AF when shooting viddy anyway!

The metal mount has been described as 'too tight' elsewhere. That is a very odd complaint. I like the solidity of the mating between lens and body. The whole fit and finish of this lens is very good IMHO. Lovely focus ring action.

Things I do not like;

I very much wish the salesperson had mentioned the USM IS version of this lens. I may have balked at the price, but in the long run I would have preferred that all my lenses be USM/IS versions at the minimum. If I am going to shoot more video I will want to sell this (or keep it as a spare?) and upgrade.

The lens appears to have a slight orangish tint. This makes certain images pop. It looks wonderful on skin tones, in bars and clubs under low light and certain street scenes. However in cloudy overcast daylight shots I end up having to color correct a lot to get a natural look.

I've bought several more lenses since, but I keep going back to this one. It's like a perfectly broken in comfortable pair of jeans. I just wish it had IS!

-- hide signature --

if you like this focal length, check out the new 35F2 IS or even better the Sigma 35, both day and night better lens, actually pretty much any 35mm lens you can find out there these days has better contrast and much better edge and corner performance on FF, Bokeh quality is one main weakness of the old EF 35 F2, Canon improved the Bokeh on the new 35F2 IS and the background blur is very smooth now. I found this 35 F2 very soft on FF at the edge and lacks contrast, the new 35 F2 IS I tried is improved significantly in those area, built quality is also improved, much faster focus, with the IS as bonus, a totally different class lens, if I don't already have a Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 35 1.4 ZE I will definitely get one myself too.

Calaverasgrande
OP Calaverasgrande Forum Member • Posts: 68

Calaverasgrande wrote:

Bought this one last year at the B&H store in Manhattan. It was the first lens I bought aside from the kit lens. At the time I was instantly blow away by the greater image quality of this mere non IS non USM lens. It certainly cleans the clock of both my STM lenses. (18-55 and 55-250).

Things I do not like;

-- hide signature --

if you like this focal length, check out the new 35F2 IS or even better the Sigma 35, both day and night better lens, actually pretty much any 35mm lens you can find out there these days has better contrast and much better edge and corner performance on FF, Bokeh quality is one main weakness of the old EF 35 F2, Canon improved the Bokeh on the new 35F2 IS and the background blur is very smooth now. I found this 35 F2 very soft on FF at the edge and lacks contrast, the new 35 F2 IS I tried is improved significantly in those area, built quality is also improved, much faster focus, with the IS as bonus, a totally different class lens, if I don't already have a Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 35 1.4 ZE I will definitely get one myself too.

I'm not shooting on FF. Perhaps I dont have any experience on L series lenses. But for the price I find this has much better color rendition and contrast than anything else I've tried.
I do plan on going to a FF body eventually, but this is just another expensive hobby for me. I'm not trying to make excuses to get a 5D MKIII. I'm still finding corners of my T2i that I haven't exploited yet!
Next time I am in NY I will certainly go by B&H and check out the other 35's you mention. Though I am kind of feeling like I need an 85 or longer prime at this point.
--

Calaverasgrande's gear list:Calaverasgrande's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,915

Dan_168 wrote:

if you like this focal length, check out the new 35F2 IS or even better the Sigma 35,

The Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art does not have very attractive bokeh at any distance, really.

both day and night better lens, actually pretty much any 35mm lens you can find out there these days has better contrast and much better edge

The borders are quite ok with the EF 35mm f2 on FF, it is just the extreme corners that remain very soft.

and corner performance on FF, Bokeh quality is one main weakness of the old EF 35 F2,

The bokeh is a mixed bag. it can be busy, it can be unattractive, and it can be very very smooth. It depends on the distance to the subject and the distance to what is blurry in the background.

EF 35mm f2:

Canon improved the Bokeh on the new 35F2 IS and the background blur is very smooth now.

The EF 35mm f2 IS is indeed in most distances pretty smooth. Nicer than the Sigma for sure.

I found this 35 F2 very soft on FF at the edge and lacks contrast, the new 35 F2 IS I tried is improved significantly in those area, built quality is also improved, much faster focus, with the IS as bonus, a totally different class lens, if I don't already have a Sigma 35 1.4 and Zeiss 35 1.4 ZE I will definitely get one myself too.

The Zeiss 35mm f1.4 is not nearly as sharp, but has much nicer bokeh than the Sigma. no AF though.

photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,942

I really enjoy mine too, although when I bought it a couple of years ago there was no 40mm 2.8 or 35mm IS which is out of my price range anyway, the only option at its price was the Tokina 35mm. Still, it's a nice lens, no regrets

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads