LG G3 is a winner

Started Sep 15, 2014 | User reviews
pcimaging
pcimaging Junior Member • Posts: 39
LG G3 is a winner

First off let me say I just got the LG G3 after having been a long time Apple iPhone user. I was not sure I wanted to go to an Android phone but I decided I wanted to try something new and different.

This LG has not disappointed in any way thus far. I am most pleased with the beautiful screen at 5.5 inches and mega resolution. This matters to me because I am one who enjoys not just taking pictures but also sharing them. The pictures and some video looks great on this display.

About that 13 mp camera, it works as advertised. Focus is very quick and accurate. The color, contrast, sharpness and white balance are most impressive. The optical image stabilization obviously worked very well because I have yet to have any blurry photos. The options for activating the shutter are not gimiky at all. I like using the hand gesture and the verbal " Cheese " command when convenient but the manual " volume button " is there as well.

I am somewhat of a power user as my phone is in my hands 50 or 60 percent of my day. Therefore the battery life matters. I have not had my battery drain completely throughout a full days use.I have come close. I do use the multitude of battery saver options provided . Id rate the battery as being better than my iPhone 5s . In fairness I must say Im not one to watch many videos. Im sure the battery would take a big hit there.

The body of this phone is designed to look like brushed metal. It looks pretty nice indeed. It is however plastic. It comes apart with a bit of effort to access both a 3000 mah battery and the mini sd card slot. That mini sd slot is such a nice addition. The LG G3 I have is 32 gb and I opted for a 64 gb card. I know it will take a 128 gb but Im not sure about anything above that. SO the case again although plastic does not feel cheap to me. I put both a Body Glove screen protector and an Otter Box case on mine. It feels quite good in the hand and looks great.

Just a quick note about the audio, its real good considering it is a single speaker. Id like to have had two as Im sure it would have been great. If you listen to your music through your headset then you won't be disappointed. The phones speakers are perfectly fine for calls.

So you have really good specs resulting in very good performance. You've got the good looks to impress friends and a very capable camera to grab your special moments. Those familiar with the Android operating system will be pleased with a terrific amount of customizations available .

I give this phone a high rating based on the fact that it delivers everything as advertised. My concern about giving up the iPhone is not an issue. I fully expect this phone can and will deliver all I need for a long time.

LG G3
5.5 screen • 13 megapixels (rear) • 2 megapixels (front)
Announced: May 27, 2014
pcimaging's score
Average community score
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248
Re: LG G3 is a winner

Thanks for the review, timely for me!

It's that time of year and my iPhone 4S contract has long been up, so I'm checking out the 2014 phones. When the G3 came out, it moved to the top of the list, but I decided to wait and see what Apple had to offer in the 6.

Well, I'm now of the opinion that Apple made some poor decisions in the 6, with an oversized body given its small screen, ancient 8MP camera and excessive price for what it delivers.

Case in point, screen size compared to camera body size:

• 2014 iphone 6: 4.7" screen, 5.43 x 2.64" body
  • 2013 Moto X: 4.7" screen, 5.09 x 2.57" body
  • 2013 LG G2: 5.2" screen, 5.45 x 2.79" body
  • 2014 LG G3: 5.5" screen, 5.76 x 2.94" body

I feel the LG G2 hit the sweet spot of providing a 5.2" screen in a nicely compact body, but it's a bit dated now and had some niggles. So it was coming down to the Moto X, where I really like the design, and the G3 with its big screen in a not much larger body.

The Moto X may now unfortunately be out, apparently they went with a dated 13MP Sony camera which results in mediocre in images. Being a camera enthusiast, obviously this doesn't play well, a very poor cost-cutting decision by Lenovo (whoops, meant Motorola ) that may well have cost them a sale.

Stopped in at BB tonight to handle all contenders except the 2014 X and 6 (not yet released). Definitely ruled out any screens under 5" after handling the 2013 X, just too small today.

Liked the G2 best for handling, 5.2" screen yet sized so I can reach across it with one hand, and to be honest the G3 felt borderline uncomfortably large. Went thru their features and the main things that have me leaning towards the G3 are its SD card slot and replaceable battery. Other niceties (improved camera, nicer looking UI, etc.) along with a screen that would be great to view photos on as well as watch movies during flights, also play in its favor.

Seems to look best in gold, now leaning towards it.

But...I may also wait for the Nexus 6 (also rumored to have a 5.5" screen) and Android L OS to be unveiled in late October/early November. Decisions!  We'll see, I'm getting impatient.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
pcimaging
OP pcimaging Junior Member • Posts: 39

You certainly have done your share of research. I bought the LG G3 before the 6 plus was unveiled. I'm not sorry. The LG has been perfect since I got it. I hope you find the one that meets and exceeds your needs.

sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248

pcimaging wrote:

You certainly have done your share of research. I bought the LG G3 before the 6 plus was unveiled. I'm not sorry. The LG has been perfect since I got it. I hope you find the one that meets and exceeds your needs.

Thanks, and your positive words in your review and your last post on the LG G3 are helpful as well.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads