FZ1000 - Zoom Tests -- I

Started Sep 9, 2014 | Discussions
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,050
FZ1000 - Zoom Tests -- I

After looking at Tim's Zoom Chart Here I decided to test to see the difference between Extra Optical Zoom at 800mm, and i.Zoom at 800mm; also to see what i.Zoom at 1600mm looks like.

Extra Optical Zoom, according to the Manual p. 197:

• This function works when any of the picture sizes (P131) indicated with is selected.
    You can zoom in further than you can with the Optical Zoom without deteriorating the
    image quality

On a Panasonic Web Site I found this:

• The Extra Optical Zoom is a new zoom system in which the zoom lens, the CCD, and the imaging engine work skillfully together to produce a greater telephoto effect with a more powerful zoom ratio.

i.Zoom, according to the Manual p. 198:

• You can zoom in up to twice the original zoom magnification while minimising the
    deterioration of the image quality.

From an old DPR thread, I found this:

• "Intelligent Zoom" functionality - which is "digital zoom" using upwards re-sampling in order to sensor-crop, followed by up-sampling to the original Picture Size (in pixels) set by the user.

I suspect that when it becomes feasible to use a teleconverter with the FZ1000, serious wildlife photographers will go that route, rather than resorting to in-camera manipulation of focal length.

**Test--1**

I set up a Custom Mode with Zooming Configuration. It defaults to Extra Optical Zoom exS-800mm-5M file size.

I have a Fn button configured to switch between the L 20M; exM 10M; and exS 5M file sizes, and another Fn button to turn i.Zoom ON/OFF.

Here is a scene at my local park, looking across a lake. There is an island where birds like to congregate. Today, Egrets are on this south west side.

I made four exposures:

1) native 400mm

2) exS @800mm 5M

3) i.Zoom @800mm, L 20M

4) i.Zoom @1600mm, exS, 5mb file

I will post other tests under this thread later.

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,563
Re: FZ1000 - Zoom Tests -- I

Richard,

Just a quick request - If you're going to describe an image's settings, can you put the text in the image descriptor (underneath each image as you add it to the message). When you do that, the descriptor will appear when the image is magnified - so one can click on (for example) the first image and then move thru the rest with the arrow keys, with the descriptor visible for each image. Much easier to keep track than writing it all down on scratch paper.

Thanks

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
OP richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,050

HI Sherm,

I was going to do it that way, but I cannot copy/paste into the caption bar. I had already written out the settings in my notes and didn't want to have to type them again.

Editing won't work now, because the caption bar goes away if nothing has been typed.

I'll do if I do further tests.

- Richard

sherman_levine wrote:

Richard,

Just a quick request - If you're going to describe an image's settings, can you put the text in the image descriptor (underneath each image as you add it to the message). When you do that, the descriptor will appear when the image is magnified - so one can click on (for example) the first image and then move thru the rest with the arrow keys, with the descriptor visible for each image. Much easier to keep track than writing it all down on scratch paper.

Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,758

Hi Richard,

Would you share your conclusions with us?

Jack

OP richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,050

Setter Dog wrote:

Hi Richard,

Would you share your conclusions with us?

Jack

Certainly.

Several observations:

1) Looking at wide angle scene, it is quite a distance from the shoreline to the island. The egrets look like little white spots. I was surprised that there is not more of a difference between 400 mm and 800 mm.

2) I printed all of the images at 6" x 8" which is about the size of the largest photographic note card that I make. (Looking at the images at about 50% gives an idea what this size print will look like.) I printed the Extra Optical Zoom (EOZ) and i.Zoom images at 800 mm uncropped, and I do not see any difference.

3) I cropped the native 400 mm image to 2736px. x 1824px. (the 5M size) and covered the same area as the 800 mm images. I could not see a difference between it and the 800 mm images.

4) I printed the EOZ 1600 mm image uncropped.

5) The EOZ and i.Zoom settings cannot be used when shooting RAW or RAW + Jpeg.

Two Conclusions:

1) In these types of scenes, I'll photograph at 400 mm and crop, because I get the RAW file along with the Jpeg file. Most of the time the Jpeg will probably suffice, as long as the camera can capture all of the dynamic range of the scene. This hasn't always been the case...

2) I did not like the i.Zoom 1600 mm print, and would not use it for a note card.

regards,

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

bee Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Re: IZoom - Digital Zoom?

richj20 wrote:

After looking at Tim's Zoom Chart Here I decided to test to see the difference between Extra Optical Zoom at 800mm, and i.Zoom at 800mm; also to see what i.Zoom at 1600mm looks like.

• Richard

Thanks for sharing your Zoom tests:-)

Just as an aside: I believe that with :

IZoom: you can zoom in up to twice the original zoom magnification
(E 800mm) - Deterioration of the image quality is minimized.

Digital Zoom: you can zoom in up to four times the original zoom magnification (E 1600) - IQ deteriorates every time you zoom in further.

Best,Bee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads