Building a photo booth using a GoPro, some LED lights and a door bell

Started Sep 9, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Stisen
Stisen New Member • Posts: 6
Building a photo booth using a GoPro, some LED lights and a door bell

I made this photo booth for our friends' wedding in Berlin Germany and thought I would share the project with a little behind the scenes info and images.
The project contains more than the maximum allowed images for this forum, so I will link to the full gallery on my behance portfolio: https://www.behance.net/gallery/19610211/The-Selfie-Booth

-But I will answer any questions you might have on this forum post

Some background info:
I made the photo booth using a GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition and is triggering it using a set of timers and relays to add the classic pause before the image is taken. The lights and bells are also timer-controlled (see the timer-sequence animation and final image results in the gallery link).

Here are a few images from the process:

The finished photo booth or "Selfie-Booth" in retro-style with its lighted button and shining LED's. The box contains a set of timer and relay circuits that are setting events in carefully timed sequence to reproduce the feel of a classic photo contraption.

Drilling holes and gluing wallpaper onto the housing.

Designing, printing and cutting decorative elements. My girlfriend and assistant Mette is helping out.

Soldering tiny wires under loupe and creating the main circuit board with timers and relays. Making an electromagnetic trigger and modifying the acoustic signals generator (door bell).

A look inside the finished "prototype".

All that remains now is pressing the button

As mentioned above you can view the results from the photo booth after it was deployed at the wedding party, here:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/19610211/The-Selfie-Booth

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers
Lars

joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,580
Re: Building a photo booth using a GoPro, some LED lights and a door bell

Don't you want to add a mirror so your guest can view before hitting the button?

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView DxO Optics Pro Elite
Stisen
Stisen OP New Member • Posts: 6

joe6pack wrote:

Don't you want to add a mirror so your guest can view before hitting the button?

That would be a great addition and would go well with the current design, compared to adding a live feed on a small monitor for example. -Things to be considered for the next version...

Rebelj12a
Rebelj12a New Member • Posts: 3

I would say invest in a GoPro Ribcage, or other modification for custom mount. That way you could use a flat C-mount lens so there is no fisheye.

Also you could use the HDMI out from the GoPro to an HDMI screen instead for viewing.

Overall though, kudos a most impressive build for sure!

Rebelj12a's gear list:Rebelj12a's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Stisen

Rebelj12a wrote:

I would say invest in a GoPro Ribcage, or other modification for custom mount. That way you could use a flat C-mount lens so there is no fisheye.

Also you could use the HDMI out from the GoPro to an HDMI screen instead for viewing.

Overall though, kudos a most impressive build for sure!

Thank you! Yes, there are numerous possibilities and I've posted planned improvements on the Behance gallery (link in description) which includes a tablet with custom software for preview and online publishing options. But the fisheye was part of the concept from the beginning as it produce dynamic and fun images (see link in description for examples).

Stisen

The booth is now featured several places on the web, for those seeking more information
Feature article with Q&A on DIYPhotography.net:
http://www.diyphotography.net/building-photo-booth-using-gopro-camera-led-lights-doorbell/
The Selfie-Booth on Photorumors.com:
http://photorumors.com/2014/10/19/creating-a-photo-booth-with-a-gopro-hero-camera/

Cheers
Lars

john49brown Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re:Brilliant....

...idea, great execution, fantastic results

-- hide signature --

JohnB

john49brown's gear list:john49brown's gear list
Nikon D300 Samsung NX300 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Stisen
Re:Brilliant....

john49brown wrote:

...idea, great execution, fantastic results

-- hide signature --

JohnB

Thank you very much John, I'm pleased to hear that!

Cheers
Lars

AlbertAmison New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you for providing me nice information about photo booth using a GoPro, appreciative work you have done.

Stisen

You're welcome

Newtral
Newtral New Member • Posts: 23

Great project! I am planning a portable 3D photo booth and so it was fun to come across this. Ill head over to your Behance page to look at the details. Also fun to see your project featured on DIY Photoraphy since I also had a camera slider project featured there recently! Well done.

-- hide signature --
 Newtral's gear list:Newtral's gear list
Pentax K-x Fujifilm X-A1
Reubal Regular Member • Posts: 214

Did you ever write up the electronics for this? I've been checking back in on it since it was first posted on DIY, hoping for instructions.

Reubal's gear list:Reubal's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II
TejasRamakrishnan
TejasRamakrishnan Junior Member • Posts: 32

Wow! Really nice project. Wonderful idea, and the execution is marvelous. Just fantastic. Really impressive.

Sorry for too many objectives.

Instead of a mirror, a live feed will be more realistic, or otherwise the mirror has to be set such that it gives a close approximation of the final result.

TejasRamakrishnan's gear list:TejasRamakrishnan's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads