A7 with the Sony E 20mm F2.8 E-mount?

Started Sep 4, 2014 | Discussions
Joe Przybylski
Joe Przybylski Regular Member • Posts: 150
A7 with the Sony E 20mm F2.8 E-mount?

I'll be traveling on 9/15 and I want to bring my a7 - but I long for the pocketability I had with my RX100 (which I sold to get the A7).

I was thinking of getting the Sony 20mm 2.8 e-mount and trying it on the A7 for a more compact solution (right now I have the kit lens and a few Minolta Rokkor manual lenses with adapters which makes the body large and quite heavy).

Does anyone have experience using the E-mount 20mm F2.8 lens on the A7?

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Graham Gibson Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: A7 with the Sony E 20mm F2.8 E-mount?

I've seen pictures. The 20mm still requires a decent amount of crop, but it can be used (certainly works fine in crop mode as well). If you really want a pancake, I think the 16mm has a larger usable area.

Otherwise, Sigma's 30, 60, and (to a lesser extent) 19, all project a decent sized image circle on full-frame after the baffle is removed. They're not quite as small as the 20mm, but they are still pretty small. Good cheap options too.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Joe Przybylski wrote:

I'll be traveling on 9/15 and I want to bring my a7 - but I long for the pocketability I had with my RX100 (which I sold to get the A7).

I was thinking of getting the Sony 20mm 2.8 e-mount and trying it on the A7 for a more compact solution (right now I have the kit lens and a few Minolta Rokkor manual lenses with adapters which makes the body large and quite heavy).

Does anyone have experience using the E-mount 20mm F2.8 lens on the A7?

E 20 does surprisingly well in terms of image circle (almost FF). This will provide you with a good idea: http://per-analogia.blogspot.com/2013/12/A7crop.html

Of course, 20mm is an ultra-wide FL on FF.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Computer Controlled
Computer Controlled Regular Member • Posts: 329

The 20 does vignette, but rather tastefully. I'll def be getting one for my A7 sometime in the future.

Computer Controlled's gear list:Computer Controlled's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

Computer Controlled wrote:

The 20 does vignette, but rather tastefully. I'll def be getting one for my A7 sometime in the future.

IMO, FE 35 would be an equally effective option. That lens is barely longer than the typical pancake and consequently makes for a very small package with a7. On a deal, even better!

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Computer Controlled
Computer Controlled Regular Member • Posts: 329

The FE 35 is nice, it's what i have on on my A7. But it's a bit more pricey than the 20mm is =o]

Computer Controlled's gear list:Computer Controlled's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
Seeky Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Does anyone have experience using the E-mount 20mm F2.8 lens on the A7?

I do have experience with the 20 f2.8 on the A7. I found it is sharp, ultralight with good built quality, good close focus and it makes for the most compact native solution. It has some visible vignetting in APS-C mode but JPEGs are autocorrected. However, don't think you can but it in your jeans pocket like the rx100. It will fit in a coat pocket I guess.

Also I did try it in FF mode but that isn't really useful. It covers more than APS-C but sharpness drops of quickly.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T1 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +14 more
Joe Przybylski
OP Joe Przybylski Regular Member • Posts: 150

Seeky wrote:

I do have experience with the 20 f2.8 on the A7. I found it is sharp, ultralight with good built quality, good close focus and it makes for the most compact native solution. It has some visible vignetting in APS-C mode but JPEGs are autocorrected. However, don't think you can but it in your jeans pocket like the rx100. It will fit in a coat pocket I guess.

Also I did try it in FF mode but that isn't really useful. It covers more than APS-C but sharpness drops of quickly.

Thank you... do you have some samples you'd be willing to share? I'm curious to see how the camera/lens combo performs in real world situation. Thank you

Seccotine Regular Member • Posts: 184

How about the SELP1650? While not great, it's compact, versatile and not that bad if you don't do RAW. It also have the benefit of being very cheap used.

Seccotine's gear list:Seccotine's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157
Image covers, but is terrible...

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Joe Przybylski wrote:

E 20 does surprisingly well in terms of image circle (almost FF). This will provide you with a good idea: http://per-analogia.blogspot.com/2013/12/A7crop.html

Of course, 20mm is an ultra-wide FL on FF.

The image circles almost covers full frame, but will be almost unusable outside of APS-C crop due to very high chromatic aberrations, field curvature, distortions, and low MTF (soft).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Seeky Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Seeky wrote:

Thank you... do you have some samples you'd be willing to share? I'm curious to see how the camera/lens combo performs in real world situation. Thank you

Sorry, I don't have taken usable shots with it since I just got it. Here's an idea of the size...

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T1 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +14 more
ajitartist
ajitartist New Member • Posts: 20
Re: Image covers, but is terrible...
KINEIGHT New Member • Posts: 1

What if remove plastic cover on back side? will it work same like on 16mm f2.8

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads