NX1 : Simply, The Beast

Started Sep 4, 2014 | Discussions
redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91
NX1 : Simply, The Beast

I had a chance to talk to one of my sources about NX1.

From the talk, most of rumored NX1 specifications are right.

• Design: it is THE NX flagship! look just like any other DSLR Flagship. buttons and wheels.
  • Sensor: definitely not a normal CMOS sensor. either BSI or ISOCELL.
  • Brand new Drime engine, multi-core powered.
  • Continuous shots: Yes, 15 fps with tracking. (Not confirmed full image or not)
  • 2nd gen. PD AF: More than 200 PD sensors from corner to corner on the image sensor. 154 cross sensors among them.
  • Support UHS-2 memory card.
  • 50-150mm F2.8, another 'S' Lens is coming.

I can hardly wait to see this.

hootsmon
hootsmon Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: NX1 : Simply, The Beast

redcrow wrote:

• Design: it is THE NX flagship! look just like any other DSLR Flagship. buttons and wheels.
  • Continuous shots: Yes, 15 fps with tracking. (Not confirmed full image or not)
  • 2nd gen. PD AF: More than 200 PD sensors from corner to corner on the image sensor. 154 cross sensors among them.

You had me at "Simply the Beast"

-- hide signature --
 hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +1 more
Chris62 Contributing Member • Posts: 693

redcrow wrote:

I hope similar design to Nikon DSLRs that I like.

We will see the results

As a consequence of 28 MP...I hope the buffer will be high capacity too

Continous shots in CSC till now hmm I am sceptic a little (no control on object view) but we will see.

I think PD sensors exactly in corners are not necessary:-)

One or two? I hope 2 slots as in Nikon DSLR will be used. (on eshots the second movies or other combinations.as buckup SD/CF? damage protection

Long time expected.

Me too:-)

BTW. there are so many topics about NX1 that I am lost ...

It could be good to join them in one.

Chris62's gear list:Chris62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
jennyrae Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

I hope rumors are accurate.

this brings me to attention of ISOCELL  is possible and potential implementation on APS-C and as I was suspecting when technology came out last year.

multi-core processor might suggest files to contain a lot of data and bigger files. maybe even better picture processing.

154 X-point sensors (if true) that is just crazy and rival Canon's speedy professional offering.

UHS support could mean faster writes and less wait period. I not know how much ram or memory is put in NX1 to handle buffer writes.

another S lens? 300mm S lens maybe.

I also hope SD card slot is dual. 64GB and 128GB cards are still very expensive.

Raw Jaw
Raw Jaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

redcrow wrote:

This info offers nothing new and steps back on two rumors.

The above 'DSLR Fllagship' statement seems to be coming from someone who does not know what Mirrorless is all about.

Samsung would lose the ballgame if 15fps is at reduced resolution. They would be extremely foolish to do this.

cyco2 Regular Member • Posts: 162

redcrow wrote:

Thanks again for sharing.

Waht do you mean with your last sentence?

Do we will see the 50-150mm f2.8 S or do we will see the 50-150nn f2.8 and another lense?

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157

hootsmon wrote:

You had me at "Simply the Beast"

Lol, excellent!  I love that name.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more

I think dslr statement is form-factor rather than actual dslr.

Kaziklu Senior Member • Posts: 1,301

redcrow wrote:

This is good, I actually tweeted the Samsung Twitter saying it would be my favourite lens if it existed and was told they'd pass it along, which is usually marketing speaks for.. I'm being patronizing or wait *wink wink*
generally they aren't patronizing only ignore. So I figure it must be close.... Samsung is going to likely be getting about $3500 by January from me.

Kaziklu's gear list:Kaziklu's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
OP redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91

cyco2 wrote:

redcrow wrote:

Do we will see the 50-150mm f2.8 S or do we will see the 50-150nn f2.8 and another lense?

Another 'S' lens = 50-150mm F2.8    

OP redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91

Raw Jaw wrote:

redcrow wrote:

This info offers nothing new and steps back on two rumors.

The above 'DSLR Fllagship' statement seems to be coming from someone who does not know what Mirrorless is all about.

I used a word, 'look'. I didn't mean its size or volume.

Samsung would lose the ballgame if 15fps is at reduced resolution. They would be extremely foolish to do this.

Please don't go too far. I couldn't get any confirmation it is full or reduced resolution image. That doesn't mean it is reduced one.

Bryan M
Bryan M Contributing Member • Posts: 945

I think the biggest unconfirmed detail is the price.

-- hide signature --

Bryan
www.bcmcue.com
www.mordtimage.com

Bryan M's gear list:Bryan M's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +2 more
Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,605

Bryan M wrote:

I think the biggest unconfirmed detail is the price.

Absolutely. If the price is as high as rumoured (1499€?), it's a shot in the foot for Samsung. I can see people investing that kind of sums in camera bodies from established brands with extensive gear catalogues (lenses, flashes, etc) like Canon and Nikon. Those two will be around for years to come, no matter what they do. A newcomer with limited accessories for the camera like Samsung really needs a more competitive pricing. A single camera body just doesn't justify "pro" pricing, it needs to have pro everything along side it.

But as long as the camera awaits release, we are just making guesses here.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Samsung NX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
cyco2 Regular Member • Posts: 162

redcrow wrote:

cyco2 wrote:

redcrow wrote:

Ah okay  - thanks!

I hoped for the rumored 24mm F1.4

Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,605

cyco2 wrote:

redcrow wrote:

cyco2 wrote:

redcrow wrote:

Ah okay - thanks!

I hoped for the rumored 24mm F1.4

That's my personal no.1 on the wishlist, a fast 35mm equivalent prime. I think the NX line seriously needs a fast 24mm. But it would be nice to see quality NX telezooms also.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Samsung NX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
cptobvious Contributing Member • Posts: 850

I'm curious about the BSI (or ISOCELL, which I understand is Samsung's implementation of BSI) sensor.  Around the time the Sony RX100 II came out as the first larger sensor with BSI, I read somewhere that the gains from BSI diminish as sensor size increases, which is why companies weren't scrambling to incorporate these sensors into DSLR/mirrorless.  I think the RX100 II only had 1/4 stop ISO improvement over the RX100.

I'd be interested to see if Samsung really will have some revolutionary new technology or if this is more marketing.  I hope they're not pulling another Galaxy S4 stunt (tweaking the hardware to make it look more impressive in benchmarks than it actually is).

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157

cptobvious wrote:

I'm curious about the BSI (or ISOCELL, which I understand is Samsung's implementation of BSI) sensor. Around the time the Sony RX100 II came out as the first larger sensor with BSI, I read somewhere that the gains from BSI diminish as sensor size increases, which is why companies weren't scrambling to incorporate these sensors into DSLR/mirrorless. I think the RX100 II only had 1/4 stop ISO improvement over the RX100.

I'd be interested to see if Samsung really will have some revolutionary new technology or if this is more marketing. I hope they're not pulling another Galaxy S4 stunt (tweaking the hardware to make it look more impressive in benchmarks than it actually is).

BSI (ISOCELL is a type of BSI) sensors can accept light at greater angles.  This is beneficial for large aperture and wide lenses where the light might not be oblique to the sensor.

Usually when a sensor gets higher MP, corner performance gets worse.  ISOCELL could maybe increase performance in this regard.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 2,418

Would be great to see a newcomer take over the APS-C IQ lead.  Should push the rest.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sony a7 III Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
OrdinarilyInordinate
OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

I think there's still room for improvement with the current sensors too, at least on the processing front.  For example, look at how well Fujifilm X-A1 does with a regular 16mp Bayer sensor with an antialiasing filter: excellent out-of-camera JPEGs and great high ISO performance.  I still want for samsung to implement incrementally improvements to its existing models to learn from those improvements, and do even better with high ISO noise reduction and JPEG processing.  NX3000 seems to be better than everything else so far from the NX line, based on samples, and we don't know still if it's some in-camera processing tricks or an improved sensor.  If the former, I wish that would be applied to NX30 and NX300 too.

Point being: a good sensor is one part.  The other part of improvement is good data processing on the part of the camera software (for RAW and JPEG formats both) for noise reduction, detail, and exposure/dynamic range processing.  As Fujifilm's X-A1 attests, you don't need a top-of-the-line sensor to achieve really great results.

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads