A different take on the D810 bright spot issue...

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,713
A different take on the D810 bright spot issue...

While trying to get proof for my hunch about the failure of the "Hot Pixel Map" on the D810, I have been carefully trying to get more examples.

I took a dark frame last week. I saved it in TIFF format. There was an area where two clusters of bright spots were close together, so I cropped that area and started gathering data. I found something interesting: It looks like the algorithm that uses the "Hot Pixel Map" was storing dark data in the wrong places, thus not overwriting the bright spots! Go look at the thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54310609

Today, I'm trying to get more samples to analyze. The first thing I noticed is that even when I setup the camera exactly as before, I got a totally different set of bright spots! I tried it several times.

Then I wondered if there might be something related to the file format and or the RAW converter that was affecting where the bright spots appeared? SO, I took a RAW + JPG dark frame [actually I did it 3 times, but there was no difference between the 3 images]. The settings were:

• 64 ISO
  • 30-seconds
  • No in-camera fiddling, like LENR, Hi-ISO NR, Active D-lighting, etc

The I converted the RAW file with LR 5.6 and NX-D. I then put the three JPEG images on separate layers in Elements 12, so that I could compare them. I did only one thing to bring out the bright spots; in Elements, I set Shadows = 1.

I was expecting small, subtle differences, this is what I got:

RAW Dark Frame rendered by LR 5.6

RAW Dark Frame rendered by NX-D

JPEG Dark Frame rendered in the D810

I think the JPEG from the camera is most likely correct [it's believable].

I'm confused!

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,713
Re: A different take on the D810 bright spot issue...

I should mention that the 3 images I showed were all heavily cropped from the originals.

Does anyone have any clue why these are so strange and different?

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

WOW! This was after you got your camera back from Nikon? Maybe they didn't fix it.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D

RyanBoston wrote:

WOW! This was after you got your camera back from Nikon? Maybe they didn't fix it.

No. I guess I failed to explain that mine is an "affected" but not "fixed" camera.

I'm not sending in my camera until I have documented the failure well. That was what this post was about. I was hoping someone could explain why the three JPEG renderings were so radically different???

We lost a key member of the Digital Camera community back in 2010. GaborSch passed away suddenly. He had created a wonderful program called "Rawnalyze". It would let me [and you] look at RAW data before it had been rendered. Very powerful!

The program is still available. Some of his friends recovered it and made it downloadable. But, it doesn't support cameras after 2010.

http://rawnalyze.rawtherapee.com/

Does anybody know of a program similar to "Rawnalyze" that will expose RAW data?

RyanBoston wrote:

Well, DPR had a failure and ate all the words in my post! But I had copied them before I hit "Post"... Let's try this again...

No. I guess I failed to explain that mine is an "affected" but not "fixed" camera.

I'm not sending in my camera until I have documented the failure well. That was what this post was about. I was hoping someone could explain why the three JPEG renderings were so radically different???

We lost a key member of the Digital Camera community back in 2010. GaborSch passed away suddenly. He had created a wonderful program called "Rawnalyze". It would let me [and you] look at RAW data before it had been rendered. Very powerful!

The program is still available. Some of his friends recovered it and made it downloadable. But, it doesn't support cameras after 2010.

http://rawnalyze.rawtherapee.com/

Does anybody know of a program similar to "Rawnalyze" that will expose RAW data?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads