Green - last one from my humble K-x

Started Sep 2, 2014 | Photos
RonakG
RonakG Regular Member • Posts: 342
Green - last one from my humble K-x

With K-5 IIs on its way, this would be the last photo from my humble K-x.

RonakG's gear list:RonakG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,870
Re: Green - last one from my humble K-x

Very nice and fresh, I hope you'll let the kx live in the hands of your close relatives.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
RonakG
OP RonakG Regular Member • Posts: 342

soheil wrote:

Very nice and fresh, I hope you'll let the kx live in the hands of your close relatives.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

Thanks.

I wish I could pass on my K-x to someone in the family, but no one is into photography in even my extended family/relatives. I'm going to put it on sale once my K-5 IIs arrives.

Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +1 more
robbo d
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,478

Don't be too hasty....... still a good cam and a great back up or for using dual lenses. I kept mine and it's now getting more work than ever, even helped at a wedding a while ago.

You will find that with good glass on the front of both you'll be struggling to tell the difference a whole lot. The Kx was and still is a great performer.

K5IIs, much heavier, much quieter shutter, slower write speed due to putting all corrections in place, only 4mp better resolution and a few more buttons for easier customisation.

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +14 more
flektogon
flektogon Senior Member • Posts: 2,274

robbo d wrote:

Don't be too hasty....... still a good cam and a great back up or for using dual lenses. I kept mine and it's now getting more work than ever, even helped at a wedding a while ago.

You will find that with good glass on the front of both you'll be struggling to tell the difference a whole lot. The Kx was and still is a great performer.

K5IIs, much heavier, much quieter shutter, slower write speed due to putting all corrections in place, only 4mp better resolution and a few more buttons for easier customisation.

K-x is still my only DSLR and I am happy with it. Until few days ago I haven't even thought about it replacement. And why? The camera works well and makes perfect pictures. All other Pentax bodies I considered as too large. But now is here that cute K-S1. Well, well, now I am looking for a reason to replace my K-x with a new (i.e. K-S1) body, though I do not see any.

JimC1101
JimC1101 Contributing Member • Posts: 543

I think that Pentax was a real winner with the K-X. I guess a majority of those of us have fond memories of mine. My first DSLR, my first Pentax. I chose Pentax over Canon becasue of getting my K-X and have no complaints at all. It was great to me but there were a few little things, not WR, no OVF focus indicators, AF assist light, and I moved up to the K-30 and love it, but I still have fond memories of my old workhorse. Makes me still smile to read that others have the same feelings as I have had with that camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-70 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
M R Padmaraju Senior Member • Posts: 2,886

Bye K-x  , welcome K- 5 IIS . K-x is a great performer . Here is my last one from K-x . K-500 is in its place . K-x has gone into  the hands of a Canikon holder , am  happy about it . Happy times with your K-5 .

Regards ,

mrp.

M R Padmaraju's gear list:M R Padmaraju's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-500 Pentax K-S1 +4 more
ulong
ulong Regular Member • Posts: 103

K-x is my first and only Pentax camera for now.  I'm currently using it to copy those old 35mm films.  I'm going to upgrade it with a K3 (when the price drops more) so I can make good use of my DA* 300mm F4 for some BIF shots (which K-x is not so capable to do).  Another complain about K-x is the loud shutter.  Other than that, it's a very good performer, and I will keep it for backup even I get the K3.

-- hide signature --

bill

ulong's gear list:ulong's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-x Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
RonakG

robbo d wrote:

Unfortunately it'll have to go. I don't want to keep 2 bodies around. I'm not a pro and shoot only on vacations, family functions etc. Just casual travel photos and family portraits.

Main reason for upgrade was to improve the hit rate of good photos. More reliable WB, metering, faster and more accurate auto-focus, WR, pentaprism viewfinder.

RonakG

flektogon wrote:

K-x is still my only DSLR and I am happy with it. Until few days ago I haven't even thought about it replacement. And why? The camera works well and makes perfect pictures. All other Pentax bodies I considered as too large. But now is here that cute K-S1. Well, well, now I am looking for a reason to replace my K-x with a new (i.e. K-S1) body, though I do not see any.

Oh it's a gem of a camera for its size. Bug I finally think that I've outgrown it and need to get something better, hence the K-5 IIs. K-S1 looks like a good entry level camera, except that launch pricing. I can't figure out where they want to place it.

RonakG

JimC1101 wrote:

I think that Pentax was a real winner with the K-X. I guess a majority of those of us have fond memories of mine. My first DSLR, my first Pentax. I chose Pentax over Canon becasue of getting my K-X and have no complaints at all. It was great to me but there were a few little things, not WR, no OVF focus indicators, AF assist light, and I moved up to the K-30 and love it, but I still have fond memories of my old workhorse. Makes me still smile to read that others have the same feelings as I have had with that camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim

I'm upgrading to K-5 IIs for same reasons as you. I hope the upgrade is worth it.

RonakG

M R Padmaraju wrote:

Bye K-x , welcome K- 5 IIS . K-x is a great performer . Here is my last one from K-x . K-500 is in its place . K-x has gone into the hands of a Canikon holder , am happy about it . Happy times with your K-5 .

Regards ,

mrp.

I'll have amazing memories from my K-x too for a long time to come. Such a gem of a camera for its size. And I always enjoy your macros, stunning work.

RonakG

ulong wrote:

K-x is my first and only Pentax camera for now. I'm currently using it to copy those old 35mm films. I'm going to upgrade it with a K3 (when the price drops more) so I can make good use of my DA* 300mm F4 for some BIF shots (which K-x is not so capable to do). Another complain about K-x is the loud shutter. Other than that, it's a very good performer, and I will keep it for backup even I get the K3.

-- hide signature --

bill

I was also in the same boat and was waiting for K-3 prices to drop. However, current deals on K-5 IIs are just so much more value for money. Plus I figured the extra $500 for K-3 is not worth for my kind of usage. BIF shots should be much more easier with K-3 with better focus tracking. I've had some success with my K-x in this department.

ArieV New Member • Posts: 16

Hi Ronak,

I have a K-x camera, and I have not been able to get the color that you are getting out of the camera.  Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?  If JPEG, did you modify the default settings on the camera?

I also have a Pentax Ist Ds, and prefer the colors I get out of that one, compared to the K-x.

Arie V

RonakG

ArieV wrote:

Hi Ronak,

I have a K-x camera, and I have not been able to get the color that you are getting out of the camera. Did you shoot RAW or JPEG? If JPEG, did you modify the default settings on the camera?

I also have a Pentax Ist Ds, and prefer the colors I get out of that one, compared to the K-x.

Arie V

Hi Arie,

I always shoot RAW and then process in Lightroom. Haven't shoot JPEG for a long time that I don't even remember how JPEG colors looked like.

I'll suggest you start shooting RAW (if not already), gives you much more flexibility in every aspect including color output.

Richard_CC Regular Member • Posts: 143

My Kx is slightly dead - the screen has failed but I will try a diy replacement sometime.  Works fine with viewfinder and tethered, just did 3500 slide copies using an old 50 mm M lens, a short extension tube, and a slide holder made from a drinks bottle and a few odd bits.

The Kx spec may not be leading edge but is better than most people ever need.  Someone with a 'good eye' can get brilliant results from very modest kit.

I replaced it with  a Kr (this was over 3 years ago, needed a camera for a big trip) but it doesn't feel nearly as good in the hand even though its barely any bigger.   With the 28mm 2.8  M lens on it (40mm equivalent) the Kx is a very compact as well.

I think the Kx will go down as a Pentax classic, and will probably end up kept alongside my 40 year old Mx which was a classic of the 35mm era.    Some things are just 'right' for unspecified reasons - example the Arne Jacobsen coffee pot, the Giraud Knoll table and 135 mm F 3.5 M lens with slide out hood.  A good lens and a really nice tactile paperweight to have on your desk.  The Kx is one of those 'right' things.

Sell it of you need the money or space, but don't be hasty.

RonakG

Richard_CC wrote:

My Kx is slightly dead - the screen has failed but I will try a diy replacement sometime. Works fine with viewfinder and tethered, just did 3500 slide copies using an old 50 mm M lens, a short extension tube, and a slide holder made from a drinks bottle and a few odd bits.

The Kx spec may not be leading edge but is better than most people ever need. Someone with a 'good eye' can get brilliant results from very modest kit.

I replaced it with a Kr (this was over 3 years ago, needed a camera for a big trip) but it doesn't feel nearly as good in the hand even though its barely any bigger. With the 28mm 2.8 M lens on it (40mm equivalent) the Kx is a very compact as well.

I think the Kx will go down as a Pentax classic, and will probably end up kept alongside my 40 year old Mx which was a classic of the 35mm era. Some things are just 'right' for unspecified reasons - example the Arne Jacobsen coffee pot, the Giraud Knoll table and 135 mm F 3.5 M lens with slide out hood. A good lens and a really nice tactile paperweight to have on your desk. The Kx is one of those 'right' things.

Sell it of you need the money or space, but don't be hasty.

I hear you Richard. It's just that home ministry won't approve of 2 camera bodies. You know what I mean.

I'd like to keep it as a second body, with a prime lens on it all the time, but I can only dream.

-- hide signature --
Schoug Forum Member • Posts: 61

I second previous comments about the K-x! Definitely a classic model already. When released it was an entry model competing with Canon EOS 1000D and Nikon D60 (at a similar price), outclassing them with the same sensor and similar performance as Nikon D90, to a much cheaper price (and louder shutter).

Upgraded this Feb to K-5 II sans s for the same reason. A great increase in focus accuracy and speed when using fast glass (DA 40 and 70 Ltd) - both in good and poor lighting - but not as significant improvement when using DA 18-55 WR. I trust it a lot more. Also love the grip, the shutter, the dials, top screen and better handling. In Lightroom the RAW files can look a bit greenish with the standard Adobe color profile but it's easily corrected by selecting the embedded one.

No last picture however as my girlfriend is using it impressively now

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads