Can the Sony RX-100 III take 17mp stills while shooting video at 60p / XAVC-S?

Started Sep 2, 2014 | Discussions
S Edwards New Member • Posts: 7
Can the Sony RX-100 III take 17mp stills while shooting video at 60p / XAVC-S?

I have the original Sony RX-100, and I really like that I can take 17mp stills while shooting video.  It even works with Sony's "smile shutter" which is a neat (even if unreliable) trick.  However, the feature is only available while recording at 60i/30p and is automatically disabled when switching to 60p.

Does the RX-100 III still have this limitation?  Does it matter if the camera is in the 50mbit/s XAVC-S recording mode?

Do any Sony cameras allow this?  The RX-100 is a pretty good "Disney trip" camera, but I dislike having to switch between 60p (slow-mo is very cool for getting kids' reactions) and 30p for high-res captures of those desirable stills.

OP S Edwards New Member • Posts: 7
The RX100 III cannot do stills during video.

I ended up buying an RX100 III, and it seems it cannot do stills during video like its predecessor.  What a pity as I really enjoyed this feature!

"Dual record" is still listed in the menu, but it seems it now means the camera shoots video in two formats simultaneously.  What was once a useful feature is no longer.

If someone can show me otherwise, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Peng Bian
Peng Bian Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Can the Sony RX-100 III take 17mp stills while shooting video at 60p / XAVC-S?

I seems they removed the ability to do this wholesale, and not just in relation to higher bit rate recording modes. Pitty, I think I would have enjoyed that feature.

-- hide signature --
 Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
simonhesays Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Can the Sony RX-100 III take 17mp stills while shooting video at 60p / XAVC-S?

Peng Bian wrote:

I seems they removed the ability to do this wholesale, and not just in relation to higher bit rate recording modes. Pitty, I think I would have enjoyed that feature.

-- hide signature --

I just found this out the hard way. Getting ready for a concert and I was checking the camera for operation. Surprise! No Dual Rec on the III. The I had it, the II had it, the III doesn't have it, the IV has it. Disappointed to say the least. Lucky for me I kept the II.

What was this? A release before they had the engineering completely done on the new sensor or was the software not complete. Either way I'm disappointing in Sony.

simonhesays's gear list:simonhesays's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,280

simonhesays wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

-- hide signature --

I just found this out the hard way. Getting ready for a concert and I was checking the camera for operation. Surprise! No Dual Rec on the III. The I had it, the II had it, the III doesn't have it, the IV has it. Disappointed to say the least. Lucky for me I kept the II.

What was this? A release before they had the engineering completely done on the new sensor or was the software not complete. Either way I'm disappointing in Sony.

The III has the same sensor as the II.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +15 more
simonhesays Forum Member • Posts: 58

Digital Nigel wrote:

The III has the same sensor as the II.

Correct. It's not a function of the sensor, it's software I'm sure. I've had every model except the IV.

simonhesays's gear list:simonhesays's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 14,106

I'm guessing it has to do with the switch to the Bionz processor. Do any of the prior cameras using the Bionz have dual recording?

I like Auto ISO in M a lot, which comes with the Bionz, so for me, dual recording is no big loss, but I can understand the disappointment to others.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads