2 more D810 images for critique

Started Aug 31, 2014 | Discussions
Bene Placito Contributing Member • Posts: 735
2 more D810 images for critique

I'm having trouble post processing D810 images, apparently. I'm not used to using CS6 for processing RAW but now that Capture NX2 is no longer usable, I guess I'm stuck with it. I tried the new NX-D (dreadful) and Lightroom 5.6, which I did not like one little bit.

I've purposely left these two looking under-exposed and not bothered with much else apart from sharpening at amount 60, radius .5, detail 35 and masking 30.

The should be viewed at original resolution.

B

Bene Placito's gear list:Bene Placito's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Leica X Vario Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Bene Placito Contributing Member • Posts: 735
Just viewed them - not good

OK. Just viewed the 2 images just posted and even at full size they are not so hot. I'm seeing a hell of a lot more definition on my display with no blurring at all.

B

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Leica X Vario Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
thafuzz Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: Just viewed them - not good

What kind of critique are you looking for. You already know underexposure. And some sharpening you have done. We should tell you what else to do?

To me if you are looking for what you got from NX2, which I gave up long ago, I would simply find out what it takes to get what you are looking for but I doubt we could help you with that?

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,668
Re: 2 more D810 images for critique

These are not pleasant to look at on the peep owing to oversharpening. There is a fair amount of noise as well, brought on by said sharpening of which the D810 should be completely free at ISO 100. The pixels are starting to clump and distort. Sharpening a camera with no AA filter is a whole different ball game and requires a light hand. The detail is all there, you just have to stay out of its way.

Adobe Standard is bad, Camera Standard is much better. I would add red saturation plus 10 to bring out the reds, lowering contrast minus 10 and raising shadows plus 10, then save as a preset, subject to further tweaking when Adobe brings out the final ACR for the D810. Don't forget to remove chromatic aberration and activate the lens profile.

There is much yet to be explored, but as a preliminary effort, I would leave the LR5 defaults alone at 25 1 and 0.

A run through CC high pass at radius 1, opacity 35% gives a nice relaxed rendition with natural looking detail. Using a b&w area with lots of detail gives a clearer look at what is happening. Click layers on and off and vary opacity until you get a mostly artifact and ghost free result.

Back in LR5, I would give the sharpening a little nudge at 15 to give the pic a touch more definition.

Imaging Resource

IR Still Life

There is a quite a bit of posterization in this one, which Adobe is working on...

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Paul Skelcher Regular Member • Posts: 420

The requested critique has nothing to do with post processing.

I would be looking at subject material, composition, light, background and so on as problematic to start with.

Even more important, what's the point of each photo? Before clicking the shutter or even taking camera out of bag I like the idea of being able to articulate in a single sentence the reason for taking the shot. If you can't do that how can you constructively make an image instead of clicking perhaps a lucky or otherwise snapshot?

Paul

AM4L
AM4L Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

Bene Placito wrote:

I'm having trouble post processing D810 images, apparently. I'm not used to using CS6 for processing RAW but now that Capture NX2 is no longer usable, I guess I'm stuck with it. I tried the new NX-D (dreadful) and Lightroom 5.6, which I did not like one little bit.

I've purposely left these two looking under-exposed and not bothered with much else apart from sharpening at amount 60, radius .5, detail 35 and masking 30.

B

I don't know if this will help or not, here are two blog posts for you to consider.

http://roaringstar.com/?p=787

http://roaringstar.com/?p=603

Happy Clicks!

-- hide signature --

Gallery BLOLG - www.roaringstar.com
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

AM4L's gear list:AM4L's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +29 more
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,713

Bene Placito wrote:

Although, I didn't use LR 5.6 in my edit below, it is the future of PS. Get used to it!

I didn't like the composition "one little bit". IMO, the big rox are not the subject. If there was only ONE rock, then it could be the subject, but a big jumble of rox not so much. IMO, the subject is the farm house & silo in the background, but it is both OoF and too cenered. I don't have access to the scene, so can't say for sure if my "crop" would work, but it should give you a different way of looking at the scene:

I also lightened the shadows and added a bit of contrast.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

These are not pleasant to look at on the peep owing to oversharpening. There is a fair amount of noise as well, brought on by said sharpening of which the D810 should be completely free at ISO 100. The pixels are starting to clump and distort. Sharpening a camera with no AA filter is a whole different ball game and requires a light hand. The detail is all there, you just have to stay out of its way.

Adobe Standard is bad, Camera Standard is much better. I would add red saturation plus 10 to bring out the reds, lowering contrast minus 10 and raising shadows plus 10, then save as a preset, subject to further tweaking when Adobe brings out the final ACR for the D810. Don't forget to remove chromatic aberration and activate the lens profile.

There is much yet to be explored, but as a preliminary effort, I would leave the LR5 defaults alone at 25 1 and 0.

A run through CC high pass at radius 1, opacity 35% gives a nice relaxed rendition with natural looking detail. Using a b&w area with lots of detail gives a clearer look at what is happening. Click layers on and off and vary opacity until you get a mostly artifact and ghost free result.

Back in LR5, I would give the sharpening a little nudge at 15 to give the pic a touch more definition.

thank yo Reilly

Thank you for your explanations. I had NX2 down to a fine art using High Pass and the USM as needed but, of course, there is no High Pass with NXD.

I've tried LR5 and found it to be an absolute kludge of a thing. It's a pity Adobe haven't allowed ACR in LR to work exactly like it does in PS CS6.

I might simply shoot jpg for now and wait until Nikon comes up with something more useable than that NX-D thingie.

B

chuxter wrote:

Bene Placito wrote:

Although, I didn't use LR 5.6 in my edit below, it is the future of PS. Get used to it!

I didn't like the composition "one little bit". IMO, the big rox are not the subject. If there was only ONE rock, then it could be the subject, but a big jumble of rox not so much. IMO, the subject is the farm house & silo in the background, but it is both OoF and too cenered. I don't have access to the scene, so can't say for sure if my "crop" would work, but it should give you a different way of looking at the scene:

I also lightened the shadows and added a bit of contrast.

Thank you for your comments.

I did the same to the rock photo as you did (in another forum) and got told I over exposed the shot. Can't win here.

Won't be posting any more pictures. I'll leave that to the experts.

chuxter wrote:

Bene Placito wrote:

I fear Adobe will make LR a rental only program in the near future like they have done with PhotoShop. Apart from that, I find it extremely frustrating to use.

B

Bene Placito wrote:

I did the same to the rock photo as you did (in another forum) and got told I over exposed the shot. Can't win here.

There are some real nasty people here. Ignore them. But understand that DPR is a gear forum, first and foremost. There are better places to receive constructive criticism on your photographic style.

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more

Bene Placito wrote:

chuxter wrote:

I fear Adobe will make LR a rental only program in the near future like they have done with PhotoShop. Apart from that, I find it extremely frustrating to use.

You need training.

You learned to use a VERY complex program, called Photoshop. That means you are intelligent and old. I'm just old. Never was smart enough to figure out 10% of Photoshop. Couldn't even figure out why I would need 10% of what PS does!

Then Apple launched Aperture, followed soon by Lightroom. I tried LR and it was love at first sight. Yes, I struggled a bit; mostly with the Library Module where all the DAM stuff is. New software is like that.

You obviously didn't have a good first impression. One reason might be that you apparently came into the game late [Verson 5.6]. In contrast, I started w/ Version 1 and followed the development; I learned it in small pieces. You must crawl before you walk. You must walk before you run.

Adobe has some quite excellent training videos. They are free! Look up Juliette Kost; she must have hundreds of lessons! She is very good at explaining things. She does cover a LOT of gorund in each lesson and thus goes fast. I often have to pause and go back until I grasp each concept.

It turns out that LR is also quite complex, but it hides this complexity. You can use it successfully and never be aware of all the fancy things that it can do.

I too fear that Adobe is going totally rental in the Cloud. Keep your old copy of LR 5.6. Keep your old computers. Keep your old cameras. It's the end of the world as we know it!

en792
en792 Contributing Member • Posts: 502

chuxter wrote:

Bene Placito wrote:

chuxter wrote:

You need training.

You learned to use a VERY complex program, called Photoshop. That means you are intelligent and old. I'm just old. Never was smart enough to figure out 10% of Photoshop. Couldn't even figure out why I would need 10% of what PS does!

Then Apple launched Aperture, followed soon by Lightroom. I tried LR and it was love at first sight. Yes, I struggled a bit; mostly with the Library Module where all the DAM stuff is. New software is like that.

You obviously didn't have a good first impression. One reason might be that you apparently came into the game late [Verson 5.6]. In contrast, I started w/ Version 1 and followed the development; I learned it in small pieces. You must crawl before you walk. You must walk before you run.

Adobe has some quite excellent training videos. They are free! Look up Juliette Kost; she must have hundreds of lessons! She is very good at explaining things. She does cover a LOT of gorund in each lesson and thus goes fast. I often have to pause and go back until I grasp each concept.

It turns out that LR is also quite complex, but it hides this complexity. You can use it successfully and never be aware of all the fancy things that it can do.

I too fear that Adobe is going totally rental in the Cloud. Keep your old copy of LR 5.6. Keep your old computers. Keep your old cameras. It's the end of the world as we know it!

Minor correction. It's Julieanne Kost, not Juliette, although Google should find it anyway and I agree with chuxter that she's excellent. Also, look up George Jardine's video training. I'm brand new to LR, due to the imminent demise of Aperture. I don't find it all that difficult to learn if you're willing to put forth some time and effort.

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more

chuxter wrote:

Bene Placito wrote:

There are some real nasty people here. Ignore them. But understand that DPR is a gear forum, first and foremost. There are better places to receive constructive criticism on your photographic style.

Thank you Chuxter. I was really trying to discover what the hell is happening with the noise etc in the D810 images. It appears there is not a decent RAW developer available as yet.

en792 wrote:

Minor correction. It's Julieanne Kost, not Juliette, although Google should find it anyway and I agree with chuxter that she's excellent. Also, look up George Jardine's video training. I'm brand new to LR, due to the imminent demise of Aperture. I don't find it all that difficult to learn if you're willing to put forth some time and effort.

Oops! Minor brain pfhart, I guess. Thanks for correcting this...

Bene Placito wrote:

chuxter wrote:

Bene Placito wrote:

Thank you Chuxter. I was really trying to discover what the hell is happening with the noise etc in the D810 images. It appears there is not a decent RAW developer available as yet.

Concerning the subject photo:

• I didn't see any noise.
  • I didn't pixel-peep the noise.
  • There was no way to "correct" the composition in ANY editor.
  • The "correct" composition is subjective.
  • The "exposure" is easy to correct in ANY editor.
  • Judging the correct "exposure" is subjective.
  • I think LR is "decent", especially if you use the facility to create your own camera profile!

Even the "affected" D810 bodies don't seem to have terrible noise and it can be easily removed w/ any number of NR programs in post [I use Imagenomic Noiseware Pro]. The "problem" w/ the D810 is not noise, but rather that the "Hot Pixel Map" was incorrectly programmed. This is easily "fixed" by simply doing it again, correctly. The Service Centers have that ability. The procedure is simple, fast, and non-invasive. Just schedule a time when you can be w/o your body for a week+.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads