FZ1000 in on Wed-Move to primary Cam for wedding today

Started Aug 30, 2014 | Discussions
Waltersmatthews Regular Member • Posts: 307
FZ1000 in on Wed-Move to primary Cam for wedding today

I've looked at stills in jpg and RAW and everything it shoots is within tolerance for color, exposure and sharpness and none of my customers would ever be able to tell the difference between the FZ1000 and the D800E in the files I give them. Indeed the D800e is better if you peep closely but in an 11x14 they are equivalent. Moreover, more focal length range, maybe 1/3 the weight and at selected times I can make great video.

"The times they are a changing" and my guess is that in 2 years videographers will have to start doing stills and albums and still photographers will have to learn how to shoot video.

I have all my SLR's handy in case something goes wrong but I suspect it will work out very nicely. Less wear and tear on an older photographer and great video as well. Moreover I can fill in here and there when my assistant has the FZ1000 with video from one of my DSLR's, all of which shoot video.

If anyone is interested I'll report on how it goes.

Waltersmatthews's gear list:Waltersmatthews's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Pentax 645D Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 +4 more
Nikon D800E Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,051
Re: FZ1000 in on Wed-Move to primary Cam for wedding today

Check out this potentially useful thread on processing the raw files in Adobe.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3719247

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,535

I'll be interested in your impressions. I'm sure all will go well. Great camera and easy to use.

Jack

dobbre Regular Member • Posts: 186

Waltersmatthews wrote:

I've looked at stills in jpg and RAW and everything it shoots is within tolerance for color, exposure and sharpness and none of my customers would ever be able to tell the difference between the FZ1000 and the D800E in the files I give them. Indeed the D800e is better if you peep closely but in an 11x14 they are equivalent. Moreover, more focal length range, maybe 1/3 the weight and at selected times I can make great video.

"The times they are a changing" and my guess is that in 2 years videographers will have to start doing stills and albums and still photographers will have to learn how to shoot video.

I have all my SLR's handy in case something goes wrong but I suspect it will work out very nicely. Less wear and tear on an older photographer and great video as well. Moreover I can fill in here and there when my assistant has the FZ1000 with video from one of my DSLR's, all of which shoot video.

I'm also interested how it goes with FZ1000. I'm wondering how are you going to tackle battery going dead and SD card filling up problem when your FZ1000 is monted on a tripod, which I suppose it will be some of time. This because when mounted on tripod you can not access battery/SD card door without taking your camera of tripod and unscrewing tripod mount adapter (I'm not sure how it is called in English, forgive me if I'm wrong).

And also, wouldn't you mind that max 30 min video length?

BR, Ilija

dobbre's gear list:dobbre's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
Sergeg
Sergeg Senior Member • Posts: 2,668

Waltersmatthews wrote:

Ticks in all the boxes, right on!

Video quality was what got me into Panny land in the first place, loving them now for everything.

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D800 +3 more
John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,917

Interested

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
OP Waltersmatthews Regular Member • Posts: 307

Long and relatively hot, outdoor wedding. And yes, the battery died at an inappropriate time and in the future I will change batteries before putting it on a tripod. Lets say I managed to change it "just in time".

Perhaps and probably it is covered in the manual but white balance is really sensitive in the camera and if there is an auto white balance I couldn't find it. Under conditions where my Nikon SLR's gave perfect auto white balance the FZ1000 went from orange yellow to totally blue when moving from the make up area with flourescent and tungsten light to window lit subjects. I was able to adjust the blue using the WB button but good grief, I'm sure there must be an auto white balance but I have not found it yet.

With the way the view finder works, that is you see the color balance and the exposure level before you actually shoot the frame, I'm not so sure I need RAW. Fortunately most of the wedding was in she shade and again, white balance had to be tweaked a lot but other than that it went well. I have not had the chance to review the video footage and will look at that tomorrow. The still frames, about 500 shots in the FZ1000, all look very good.  Accurate focus, very few missed focus shots, exposure was right on every time and framing is very easy with the camera.

Was there ever a wedding where a perfectly exposed 36MP image was needed by the bride and groom. I doubt it, and the level of detail and crispness in the FZ1000 is all I need to shoot weddings. In fact way back when, I shot a wedding holding a Fujifilm S1 Pro with a 3MP sensor and a Mamiya 645 Film camera and I literally took two shots of each scene or subject, one with each camera. At the time I thought the digital Fuji camera was a cute toy and not really a camera but I followed through and had the shots from the Fuji made into 8x10's along with the shots from the 645 Mamiya. All the 8x10's were given to the bride and groom and no mention of which camera was used for which shot was made. The result was that the couple liked the digital files better. The same thing happened on the next wedding and again on the third wedding. I bought another Fujifilm S1 Pro and have not looked back. The moral of the story though is that the files from the FZ1000 are a lottttt better than what the Fuji S1 could delver. In other words I do not believe I will need RAW files for weddings with this camera.

Oh and one more issue, again maybe the manual, which I have not even skimmed yet, will help. The fast frame rep rate is not much good if I cannot get a flash to synch with the shutter flashes. Does Panasonic even make a hot shoe TTL flash unit?

John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,917

Waltersmatthews wrote:

Long and relatively hot, outdoor wedding. And yes, the battery died at an inappropriate time and in the future I will change batteries before putting it on a tripod. Lets say I managed to change it "just in time".

Perhaps and probably it is covered in the manual but white balance is really sensitive in the camera and if there is an auto white balance I couldn't find it. Under conditions where my Nikon SLR's gave perfect auto white balance the FZ1000 went from orange yellow to totally blue when moving from the make up area with flourescent and tungsten light to window lit subjects. I was able to adjust the blue using the WB button but good grief, I'm sure there must be an auto white balance but I have not found it yet.

Bar lowering Sun the FZ50 AUTO WB to my specification. This is first mention I've seen on the subject of WB

With the way the view finder works, that is you see the color balance and the exposure level before you actually shoot the frame, I'm not so sure I need RAW. Fortunately most of the wedding was in she shade and again, white balance had to be tweaked a lot but other than that it went well. I have not had the chance to review the video footage and will look at that tomorrow. The still frames, about 500 shots in the FZ1000, all look very good. Accurate focus, very few missed focus shots, exposure was right on every time and framing is very easy with the camera.

I compared the two  cameras. The FZ1000 is a valid alternative and, with shared experience, needs to optimise these WB issues.

Was there ever a wedding where a perfectly exposed 36MP image was needed by the bride and groom. I doubt it, and the level of detail and crispness in the FZ1000 is all I need to shoot weddings. In fact way back when, I shot a wedding holding a Fujifilm S1 Pro with a 3MP sensor and a Mamiya 645 Film camera and I literally took two shots of each scene or subject, one with each camera. At the time I thought the digital Fuji camera was a cute toy and not really a camera but I followed through and had the shots from the Fuji made into 8x10's along with the shots from the 645 Mamiya. All the 8x10's were given to the bride and groom and no mention of which camera was used for which shot was made. The result was that the couple liked the digital files better. The same thing happened on the next wedding and again on the third wedding. I bought another Fujifilm S1 Pro and have not looked back. The moral of the story though is that the files from the FZ1000 are a lottttt better than what the Fuji S1 could delver. In other words I do not believe I will need RAW files for weddings with this camera.

I search constantly for these references direct to customer. The musings of the enthusiast rarely reflect on these impressions.

Oh and one more issue, again maybe the manual, which I have not even skimmed yet, will help. The fast frame rep rate is not much good if I cannot get a flash to synch with the shutter flashes. Does Panasonic even make a hot shoe TTL flash unit?

Loads of options. Threads posted lately.

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
sherman_levine

Waltersmatthews wrote:

In A/P/S/M modes, white balance is on the 4-way control via the right arrow, unless you repurposed the control to moving the focus box (I think that's a waste of 4 good buttons ).  AWB should be on list.  Were you perhaps shooting in some other mode?

With the way the view finder works, that is you see the color balance and the exposure level before you actually shoot the frame, I'm not so sure I need RAW. Fortunately most of the wedding was in she shade and again, white balance had to be tweaked a lot but other than that it went well. I have not had the chance to review the video footage and will look at that tomorrow. The still frames, about 500 shots in the FZ1000, all look very good. Accurate focus, very few missed focus shots, exposure was right on every time and framing is very easy with the camera.

Are you talking about burst? Burst is suppressed when the flash is on.  You can see the flash icon change while the flash is charging, so you'll know when the flash is ready for the next shot. There are several decent TTL (and also remote) flashes available.

A Girard
A Girard Veteran Member • Posts: 7,935
Shot a wedding yesterday and would agree.

I had a wedding to shoot and had my dslr and lenses on standby but the FZ1000 with the FL50 took most of the shots.  i shot candids from 10 a.m. till 5p.m. and the wedding was at 5:30 which went in the evening, so needless to say there was all kinds of lighting and the camera IQ was solid. I'll post some results in a few days.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.ca

A Girard's gear list:A Girard's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
sherman_levine
Re: Shot a wedding yesterday and would agree.

A Girard wrote:

I had a wedding to shoot and had my dslr and lenses on standby but the FZ1000 with the FL50 took most of the shots. i shot candids from 10 a.m. till 5p.m. and the wedding was at 5:30 which went in the evening, so needless to say there was all kinds of lighting and the camera IQ was solid. I'll post some results in a few days.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.ca

It's about time those people got married. Talk about making everybody wait for FZ1000 wedding pictures

Re: Shot a wedding yesterday and would agree.

My bad, should have studied the cam more before using it but just didn't run into the problem and I was pretty busy before hand. There is an auto white balance, which was not set on my cam, and now that it is set I won't have to struggle with the deep oranges and  the "BLUES".  I tested it and it's fine.

Still have not looked into multiple shots with a flash but that can wait. The video of the ceremony, shot in 1080P 60, is just spectacular on an 80 inch screen. There is a 55 inch curved 4K 240 HZ Samsung display now for sale at Costco and Best Buy.  Very tempted....

I have finished processing my FZ still photos and the outdoor images are great. Indoors with on board flash are unbelievably harsh and I also need to rapidly fire a flash for cake cut-aka food fights-garter toss and bouquet toss. So I need to get a compatible external flash that I can soften with baffles and that will fire as often as the shutter mechanism goes off.  Both John and Sherm mentioned options without any specifics. I can't find any thread on the issue......anyone????

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads