Tamron 24-70 VC behavior

Started Aug 30, 2014 | Discussions
XavierP56 Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Tamron 24-70 VC behavior

Hi,

AF on the AF-button.

Half-press on shutter : Nothing

Full-press on shutter : Shoot.

I have the Tamron 24-70 VC and when VC is on, I have the feeling that the result is a little blurry when I quickly do:

AF button and then Full-press on shutter.

It's much better when I do:

AF button, half-press on shutter for 1 or 2 seconds, full-press on shutter.

Is it an expected behavior with VC ? Should I wait a little for VC to stabilize ?

Many thanks !

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,227
Re: Tamron 24-70 VC behavior

XavierP56 wrote:

Hi,

AF on the AF-button.

Half-press on shutter : Nothing

Full-press on shutter : Shoot.

I have the Tamron 24-70 VC and when VC is on, I have the feeling that the result is a little blurry when I quickly do:

AF button and then Full-press on shutter.

It's much better when I do:

AF button, half-press on shutter for 1 or 2 seconds, full-press on shutter.

Is it an expected behavior with VC ? Should I wait a little for VC to stabilize ?

Yes, you always have to give IS/VC some time to kick in.

Many thanks !

OP XavierP56 Contributing Member • Posts: 928

Ok, it seems to disable after 2 secondes once the shoot is done. Is there a way to keep it active ? I'm using a 6D. Thanks !

I have another question : The sharpness is slightly better when VC is off. Do other see the same thing ? It's very subtle but I really feel sharpness is better with VC off.

BRUCEK56 Contributing Member • Posts: 858

XavierP56 wrote:

I have another question : The sharpness is slightly better when VC is off. Do other see the same thing ? It's very subtle but I really feel sharpness is better with VC off.

Check out this tread below.

Tamron could never solve the issue with my 1DX including sending my 1DX body and Tamron lens to their service center in New York...........and eventually to their headquarters in JAPAN!

Tamron refunded my purchase price in full.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3559567

-- hide signature --

BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II +5 more

I think I'll live with VC off. With VC on, there is a small degradation in sharpness.

Not dramatic in prints. Just when I zoom at 100%.

Thanks !

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

XavierP56 wrote:

One feature I want some manufacturers to adopt is an auto IS off based on shutter speed and focal length setting, but having a physical switch works too. None of my lenses currently have IS and I don't miss it. Never have to worry about IS settle times, just concentrate on shutter speed. The only time I need IS is really when I don't care about freezing motion anyways, and thus more likely to be a static scene that I have more time to deal with. Having a messed up shot of subject motion is a greater loss than having a messed up static scene that you can chimp and take again.

IS is useful when I want an invisible tripod. But there are folks that think it is useful for hand-holding as well, but unless you have micro-tremors, I just do not find that to be the case 9/10 times regardless of brand. For MFT shutter shock + IBIS was problematic for me as well.

Most people see IS/VR, etc and just automatically assume it is better even at shutter speeds you don't need it. I bet if they really checked at 100% crop they would be surprised and reveal results similar to yours.

Consider for a moment, what is the likelyhood that Tamron tailored their VR to account for the exact moments of mirror or shutter vibration in various drive modes in a particular model of DSLR?  I know high-end Canon lenses will try to account for such things, but not likely a third party would.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Hi,

Fully agree with you ! Now VC is off most of the time.

I only enable VC when I need it as "invisible" tripod.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads