What is the maximum weight that a6000 mount can handle without support?

Started Aug 29, 2014 | Discussions
SwissSwiss Contributing Member • Posts: 545
What is the maximum weight that a6000 mount can handle without support?

So I just got delivery of Metabones Nikon F to  E mount adapter. Put my Nikon 60mm Macro lens on my A6000 and I am absolutely loving it. It is so much fun!

My only problem is that I am scared to let the lens hang on it's own, I am always resting it on my palm. The lens is around 440gms, the total weight along with the adapter is 600gms.

Can the A6000 mount handle that weight if I hold the camera from the hand grip only?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP SwissSwiss Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: What is the maximum weight that a6000 mount can handle without support?

Anyone?

Juhaz Contributing Member • Posts: 596

SwissSwiss wrote:

So I just got delivery of Metabones Nikon F to E mount adapter. Put my Nikon 60mm Macro lens on my A6000 and I am absolutely loving it. It is so much fun!

My only problem is that I am scared to let the lens hang on it's own, I am always resting it on my palm. The lens is around 440gms, the total weight along with the adapter is 600gms.

Can the A6000 mount handle that weight if I hold the camera from the hand grip only?

Yes, it can. That's not even very heavy, there are native e-mount lenses larger than that and if using them would be risky they would surely include a warning.

The 70-200 is almost twice the weight at 840g, and APS-C SELP18200 is 649g and does not even have tripod ring so it's clearly meant to be used without support.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

SwissSwiss wrote:

So I just got delivery of Metabones Nikon F to E mount adapter. Put my Nikon 60mm Macro lens on my A6000 and I am absolutely loving it. It is so much fun!

Obviously no one outside Sony has performed tests and measured the deformation of the lens mounts with heavy lenses. I have a feeling 600gr wouldn't damage the mount if you move the camera gently but it could if movement acceleration is added. I do always support a similar legacy lens with the left hand and don't let it hang from the camera.

Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
a6000 flex

SwissSwiss wrote:

Quite frankly its scary.

I was doing testing with a borrowed a6000 and was adapting some of my non e-mount lenses to it. I tried some old Canon FD lenses. At only 440 grams with my FD 200mm f4.0. There was significant camera flex when using my tripod and ball head. To put that in perspective, with ANY of my lens on my a850 on this tripod/ballhead combo there is almost no total system flex/distortion. The old Mamiya tripod could be used to pull engines and the big Sirui ballhead is very stiff. When I was trying my a-mount Samyang 14mm on the a6000, I also thought it would be a good idea to try my 800g. Sony 70-300 G. Bad idea. Nothing broke but I had a hard time selecting the desired portion of the target because the a6000 body was flexing so much from 20 feet away. Obviously the solution is to use the Sony LEA4 adapter with a tripod mount and hang the lens and the camera off that. If I were using even a modest sized lens on the a6000, I'd be holding the lens and steadying the camera... not the other way around,

The problem is, I don't know where in the a6000 body that it was flexing. I suspect mostly around the tripod mount but that's still disquieting to me.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,913

I'm assuming that Sony designed the mount to be able to handle the various a mount lenses sold without tripod mounts.  So, you might feel safe mounting a lens that weighs no more than the heaviest Sony lens.

OP SwissSwiss Contributing Member • Posts: 545

Getting mixed views from you guys 

Better to be safe than sorry, so I will hold the lens and handle the camera gently.

lightgrabber Contributing Member • Posts: 738

SwissSwiss wrote:

Getting mixed views from you guys

Better to be safe than sorry, so I will hold the lens and handle the camera gently.

That sounds to me like the best solution in any case. Even when I use my larger Canon lenses on my Canon camera, for which they were presumably designed, I like to support the lens with the other hand just seems to make sense to me.

Rich Gibson
Rich Gibson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,378
And you'd admit this publicly?

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

I was doing testing with a borrowed a6000 and was adapting some of my non e-mount lenses to it. I tried some old Canon FD lenses. At only 440 grams with my FD 200mm f4.0. There was significant camera flex when using my tripod and ball head. ... I suspect mostly around the tripod mount but that's still disquieting to me.

Bruce

I'd bet it would be REALLY disquieting to the owner who loaned it to you. If it were me, you'd have just bought a heavily USED A6000 and paid the pre-damage price for it.

Rich

Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
Re: And you'd admit this publicly?

Rich Gibson wrote:

Bruce Oudekerk wrote:

I was doing testing with a borrowed a6000 and was adapting some of my non e-mount lenses to it. I tried some old Canon FD lenses. At only 440 grams with my FD 200mm f4.0. There was significant camera flex when using my tripod and ball head. ... I suspect mostly around the tripod mount but that's still disquieting to me.

Bruce

I'd bet it would be REALLY disquieting to the owner who loaned it to you. If it were me, you'd have just bought a heavily USED A6000 and paid the pre-damage price for it.

Rich

My post was meant to be a warning to others.

***The 440 gr Canon FD 200mm is a very, very light 200 mm prime... 30 gr LIGHTER than the Sony e-mount 18-105 G that is designed for this camera.*** That should be food for thought and that is why I am concerned and posted this. For all I know, all the e-mount cameras do this, which is more than a little scary to me. The 18-105 must produce similar flex but given the modest reach, the deflection wouldn't be as obvious.

The Sony 70-300G is 800 gr and was bought specifically for its modest weight for a FF lens of that range. I never actually took pics with it on the a6000; just carefully mounted it via passive adaptor...I saw the deflection and removed it. That deflection was not striking terror into my heart but it is MUCH more than with my a850 and the same support rig. And that weight is certainly nothing like the 70-400G which is used with the a6000...admittedly not off the camera mount. I would be worried about cradling a heavy lens, forgetting and holding it only by the camera. Again... forewarned is forearmed.

The a6000 has a metal frame and metal mount, It should be able to support modest weight. And I would think that the camera should be able to support 800 gr 'in a pinch' but clearly shouldn't. With this experience I wouldn't even tripod the 18-105 on it and it definitely should be fine with that lens...absolutely and positively. That's why that e-mount lens doesn't have a tripod mount. Its bulky but relatively light and I'm positive it must be done frequently....but maybe it shouldn't.

Given that the camera is fine...you can stop being indignant and its a good thing you weren't the owner...errrrrrr...former owner.

So what is your rule of thumb for unsupported lens weight? Weight of camera body or less? Because we are back to OP's main question of what is the max unsupported weight of lens.

Bruce

Edit:

FWIW the Sony E-mount PZ 18-200mm  f3.5-6.3 OSS weighs 650 gr,  which is in the ball park of the 70-300G ... although admittedly has less moment and doesn't require an adapter.

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads