CompactFlash format file system - Corrupt Card err possible due to Fat32 FS

Started Aug 28, 2014 | Discussions
outofmyelement
outofmyelement Forum Member • Posts: 93
CompactFlash format file system - Corrupt Card err possible due to Fat32 FS

Got a D810 and have a 64GB Transcend 1000x card. It works however after shooting so many pics it has the Card err - Corrupt card message.  I remove the card, put it back in and it continues to work but the last image is not there.  I have realized while looking into this that the D810 is formatting it as FAT32 while it formats my SDHC Sandisk 64GB as ExFat which is also what my computer wants to format it as.  So I format the CF card on the computer as ExFat and the card seems to work ok now. Will keep testing it but its lasting way longer than before.

Does anyone have a working card that can check what file system their D810 is formatting it as? I'm guessing it should be formatting as Exfat due to >32GB but isn't so the card doesn't function properly. this is likely the case with other cards having the same corrupt card message.

On Windows you can check the file system type by going to My computer viewing the properties of the card.

outofmyelement's gear list:outofmyelement's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +5 more
abcdefghijklmnop Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
Re: CompactFlash format file system - Corrupt Card err possible due to Fat32 FS

You maybe right about the cause, one of the issues addressed in the latest D4S firmware update is changing from Fat32 to exFAT on cards 128GB and more.

abcdefghijklmnop's gear list:abcdefghijklmnop's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
EggySayoga
EggySayoga New Member • Posts: 12

My 16gb Sandisk Ultra 50MB/s behave the same, I have to reinsert the card to make it work again. Maybe happen once in 300-500 shots. Not sure about the format though, I'll check it later.

EggySayoga's gear list:EggySayoga's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Mssimo
Mssimo Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Format to spec.

User this tool to lowlevel format your card to spec. It works perfect for CF cards also. Its free and official.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM +4 more
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714

64 GB SanDisk SD XC is formatted exFAT.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
outofmyelement
OP outofmyelement Forum Member • Posts: 93

CF cards are the only ones that should be affected not SDHC.

I've used the SD formater before but not on CF, will try this out.

Sent a ticket to nikon on this and of course they reply with the manual pages of supported cards. Gee thanks.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +5 more
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714

16 GB SanDisk Extreme 120 MB/S is also formatted exFAT.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Mssimo

outofmyelement wrote:

Sent a ticket to nikon on this and of course they reply with the manual pages of supported cards. Gee thanks.

The card might be defective. Any issues with the formating should be fixed by the SD formatter. The low level format will change the schema to match the specs, then you can do a high level format with your camera. If it does not work, its defective.

I also had cards that work on PC but no in camera.

Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM +4 more
outofmyelement

Mssimo wrote:

outofmyelement wrote:

The card might be defective. Any issues with the formating should be fixed by the SD formatter. The low level format will change the schema to match the specs, then you can do a high level format with your camera. If it does not work, its defective.

I also had cards that work on PC but no in camera.

doing a overwrite erase right now. around 70% gonna take a while but worth a shot. I know the card works as I used it for a few months in my 5D III no issues. It does appear to be working ok now in the D810 manually formatted as exFAT so hopefully the sd formater will fix it. I'll shoot with backup to SD even though it slows it down a bit for a while just to be safe.

While formatting I have been shooting with my 32GB 1000x Transcend CF and don't seem to have a problem with it, then again 32GB is ok in FAT32 if thats what the problem is with the 64GB card.

Will know soon enough.

Edit: Just finished, did a format in the camera and its still doing it FAT32

Mssimo

Yes..cameras use Fat32 not exfat. This should work just fine. Also, if you want a great card for your camera, but the "Computerbay" 128GB 1050x cf on amazon. They also make good SD cards. Same factory as lexar.

Here is the full specs for SD cards by the way. Just if you like reading tech papers.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/simplified_specs/part1_410.pdf

Mssimo

I think i found it. Should be fat32 as per specs. It can support cards up to 2TB in size. (note, windows formatting does not allow this, it forces you to use exfat)

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

outofmyelement

Mssimo wrote:

Yes..cameras use Fat32 not exfat. This should work just fine. Also, if you want a great card for your camera, but the "Computerbay" 128GB 1050x cf on amazon. They also make good SD cards. Same factory as lexar.

Here is the full specs for SD cards by the way. Just if you like reading tech papers.

Got the 5DIII out of the box to test it out and it was formatting as FAT32 and working great for months so I guess it should be FAT32. Strange that it seems to work ok when formated as exFAT in the D810. <tinfoilhat>I guess when Nikon intentionally broke compatibility with various cards they didn't do a good job.</tinfoilhat>

Ordered a Komputerbay 128GB, this whole mess just isn't worth wasting time or risking loss over. I'll see if I can get a replacement from Transcend, if not just overwrite erase it and ebay it.

Mssimo

outofmyelement wrote:

Mssimo wrote:

Got the 5DIII out of the box to test it out and it was formatting as FAT32 and working great for months so I guess it should be FAT32. Strange that it seems to work ok when formated as exFAT in the D810. <tinfoilhat>I guess when Nikon intentionally broke compatibility with various cards they didn't do a good job.</tinfoilhat>

Ordered a Komputerbay 128GB, this whole mess just isn't worth wasting time or risking loss over. I'll see if I can get a replacement from Transcend, if not just overwrite erase it and ebay it.

Komputerbay has one of the best customer service departments I ever called by the way. They also upgraded my 1 year old card for free because the new rev of it had a better controller that allowed faster speed..and I did not even ask for this. I was calling about a card reader issue.

Get the kingston CF only card reader from amazon by the way. It will read your card around 120MB/s plus.

My friend did have issues with one 128GB card but they replaced it after a few minutes of just checking the basics.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads