Resurrecting my D3s with RawTherapee!

Started Aug 28, 2014 | Discussions
a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,480
Resurrecting my D3s with RawTherapee!

I'm totally blown away with the free RawTherapee converter.  It is like my D3s just got the sensor upgraded to 16 mega pixels or more.  Please take a look at the following images at 100%.

D3s OOC JPEG

RawTherapee using RL Deconvolution for sharpening

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pforsell Senior Member • Posts: 1,601
Re: Resurrecting my D3s with RawTherapee!

That difference is indeed large.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to develop the same file with Nikon software (View NX, Capture) and if yes, what you think of the results? And how about different in-camera JPEG sharpening settings, do they make a difference?

But in all honesty, the rawtherapee image seems to have a lot more detail and surprisingly little noise. I might be tempted to try myself, maybe. I have been lazy and have only shot jpeg for at least 2-3 years. Perhaps I reconsider RAW.

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +19 more
Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Wow thats a big difference !. However, no software can create (meaningful) detail that's not there on the first place. IF the first one is an OOC  JPEG, I'd love to see what Lightroom or similar can do with the raw file.

ImageAmateur Senior Member • Posts: 4,047

a l b e r t wrote:

I'm totally blown away with the free RawTherapee converter. It is like my D3s just got the sensor upgraded to 16 mega pixels or more. Please take a look at the following images at 100%.

I have recently tried RAW Therapee and it is indeed a very good converter.

However, comparing OOC JPEG with the RAW converted, while showing the possible improvement vs the JPEG (which IS to be expected anyway), which I accept as your intent......  alternately, might be more valid to compare RAW Therapee to other current RAW converters, such as C1 Pro and LR5 (IF the aim was to find the better converters versus the aim being just to improve your D3s output).

C1 Pro gives excellent conversions, including detail.

Yes, it is paid, but so what, a hundred and fifity bucks for something excellent that lasts, before upgrade, roughly two years, when so much is spent on equipment. Not a lot really.

I think the biggest takeaway from this is that yes, RAW is better.

Remember that your D3s algorithms are a number of years old. While current RAW converters use state of the art processing algorithms, so SHOULD get much better IQ out of the same data file.

Then, one adds better WB processing anyway RAW vs JPEG, regardless of camera age, which can have a dramatic impact on colors and it is really obvious which is better.

And yes, I only shoot RAW ...  (that should get some started)   

Cheers.

Glad it is working out for you.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
OP a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,480
Capture NX-D and LR conversions

Out of curiosity, have you tried to develop the same file with Nikon software (View NX, Capture) and if yes, what you think of the results? And how about different in-camera JPEG sharpening settings, do they make a difference?

See for yourself:

Capture NX-D, Active-D Lighting=Normal to lift the shadow, Auto Sharpening

Lightroom 5, Shadow=+48, Sharpen=+69

To me, LR5 is producing excellent result too, but RT has more sharpness/details.  I think RL Deconvolution sharpening in RT has a lot to do with this.  LR5 also exhibits more moire in the image (see the school building in the center).

D3s in-camera sharpening is actually quite poor, it makes the images look hard/digital.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 +11 more
ImageAmateur Senior Member • Posts: 4,047
Re: Capture NX-D and LR conversions yes

I agree, based on those, that RAW Therapee is producing better fine details.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
pforsell Senior Member • Posts: 1,601
Re: Capture NX-D and LR conversions

Your samples convinced me to give raw files and Raw Therapee in particular a fresh new look. Thanks.

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +19 more
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,056
I often use Raw Therapee for ultimate detail

a l b e r t wrote:

I'm totally blown away with the free RawTherapee converter. It is like my D3s just got the sensor upgraded to 16 mega pixels or more. Please take a look at the following images at 100%.

I agree that it's quite easy to bring out the finest detail with RT, and I often use it to develop test images.

However, I have noticed two types of artifacts with RT, which Capture NX is much more immune to:

1.  Stair-stepping of angled high-contrast edges.

2.  Luminance "checkerboarding" caused by inaccurate application of channel gains in specific areas, usually around brightness or color transitions.

To be sure, it is a different type of tool than many other converters, and has somewhat different applications.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads