Stuck on choice for D2xs

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Discussions
Lambrook New Member • Posts: 4
Stuck on choice for D2xs

I've been shooting with a D2xs for a while, and will probably continue to do so. I've primarily shoot with primes, and feel more comfortable shooting primes. I've got a 24-70mm 2.8G lying around that hasn't been used for the last 2 years. I'm going to be selling that and getting a new piece of glass. I REALLY like mainly 35mm on FX followed by 28mm.

I'm really enamoured in getting a 16-35mm f/4 it seems to have everything I want, and I could throw a 35mm f/1.8 DX just for the lols. Although some are saying this isn't a great piece of glass for DX sensors.

So I was thinking about these instead:

• Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G
  • Sigma 24mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
  • Nikon 12-24mm f/4
  • 35mm f/1.8G DX

I've never owned a sigma lens and I'm still stuck in the mind-frame that a Sigma zoom will never compare in sharpness and contrast to Nikon. I'm pretty finicking with quality as I currently have a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 and the 24-70mm. If I can get similar sharpness and contrast on the 16-35mm f/4 would be the right choice though, right?

I threw the 35mm f/1.8G DX because its cheap as chips at QR 745.

Or should I just get another prime, I have no idea.

Thanks for reading.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon D2Xs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724
Re: Stuck on choice for D2xs

What are you intending to shoot, at what apertures, at what distance? And what is your overall budget?

it is one thing to shoot events at f/1.8 to f/2.8 where fast focus and a large aperture is important, and quite another to shoot landscapes at f/8 from a tripod.

It is hard to beat that Nikon 35 f/1.8G DX for price/performance. CA is about the only problem, and there are ways to correct that now in post, so not such a big deal.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

OP Lambrook New Member • Posts: 4

I would be shooting street, and landscape as well as some candids. This is probably why I like 35mm on FF a lot.

Budget is at approximately 5,400 rial. I'm also selling the 24-70mm to make way for a new lens that does all I need it to do. I know the 35mm is kind of the new 50mm f1.8D cheap and cheerful, although I don't think its the lens for me, I never enjoyed 50mm it's too tight for me.

I really don't know if the 12-24mm DX is an alternative though... the 12-15mm I don't think will be used, and I want a lens that isn't prone to horrible things like distortion.

Bob GB Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

Lambrook wrote:

I've been shooting with a D2xs for a while, and will probably continue to do so. I've primarily shoot with primes, and feel more comfortable shooting primes.

I'm really enamoured in getting a 16-35mm f/4 it seems to have everything I want, and I could throw a 35mm f/1.8 DX just for the lols. Although some are saying this isn't a great piece of glass for DX sensors.

• Sigma 24mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
  • Nikon 12-24mm f/4
  • 35mm f/1.8G DX

In your list there is nothing above 35 mm! This seems like a limitation to me.

I would consider

DX Nikon 12-24 f/4.0

DX Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 VR

and perhaps a longer lens, like 70-300 VR or the more expensive 70-200 f/4.0 VR.

For low light a DX Nikon 35 f/1.8

If you think about going FX at a later point of time, perhaps the FX Nikon 35 f/1.8 would be better.

But still for DX you need some decent wide angle lenses, hence the 12-24 and 16-85. Particularly the 16-85 is important in order to have a convenient zoom range. I believe all DX lenses could be found used at a favorable price.

May be a Nikon 60/2.8 macro or DX Nikon 85/3.5 VR macro /prime would be interesting?

The Nikon 12-24 is a very good performer probably one of the best super wide for DX. At 24 mm it is similar to 35 mm on FX. The lens has quit low distortion but at the wide end it is really wide and thus can produce some very interesting views.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,445

I've got lenses on your list, or similar.

24F2.8 AF-D, 35F2, 35F1.4 ART

12-24F4 DX (Nikon)

14-24 F2.8

16-35F4

After using both 12-24 and 14-24 on DX, I quickly came to the conclusion that full frame wide zooms are mostly a waste of money on DX.   Not to say that the 14-24 isn't great on DX, but its potential is mostly wasted there.   I never used the 16-35 on DX, but I suspect it would be even more a waste.  For one thing, 16mm isn't particularly wide on DX.  For another, the long end of the 16-35 is considered weak.   Might as well have a 16-85vr.

The 12-24 impressed me on a D300.  I always like it, though corners at 12mm are soft unless well stopped down.   From what I've read, the Nikon 10-24 is similar in that the corners at the widest end are soft unless well stopped down.

I'd recommend a 12-24 or 10-24.   They may or may not please on a 24mp camera, but on a D2XS should be just fine.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +35 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

Lambrook wrote:

I've been shooting with a D2xs for a while, and will probably continue to do so. I've primarily shoot with primes, and feel more comfortable shooting primes. I've got a 24-70mm 2.8G lying around that hasn't been used for the last 2 years. I'm going to be selling that and getting a new piece of glass. I REALLY like mainly 35mm on FX followed by 28mm.

I'm really enamoured in getting a 16-35mm f/4 it seems to have everything I want, and I could throw a 35mm f/1.8 DX just for the lols. Although some are saying this isn't a great piece of glass for DX sensors.

• Sigma 24mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
  • Nikon 12-24mm f/4
  • 35mm f/1.8G DX

I've never owned a sigma lens and I'm still stuck in the mind-frame that a Sigma zoom will never compare in sharpness and contrast to Nikon. I'm pretty finicking with quality as I currently have a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 and the 24-70mm. If I can get similar sharpness and contrast on the 16-35mm f/4 would be the right choice though, right?

Thanks for reading.

I had one and whilst I liked the output at low ISO, it deteriorates rapidly as you turn up the ISO and becomes very noisy.

Consequently I wouldn't use anything slower than f2.8.

-- hide signature --

Another Godless Atheist for Peace and World Harmony

This is mainly because I'm very much use to shooting primes as opposed to zooms, and I seldom shoot past 35mm. I already have a 58mm prime and that's all I need for telephoto. As I said before when you get past 50mm, I personally have little use for it.

70-300mm is out of the question, I'd never use it, and it'd be a complete waste of money. What's the point in getting a 16-85mm if I won't go for 9 out of 10 times past 35mm? I could understand if it was a better lens than say a 24-70mm, but I don't think it is.

Yeah, I've read that 12-24mm is the better of the two, and it's definitely worth considering. What bothers me the most is the fact that this zoom would end up being my main lens for street. I suppose I could practice more with the Voigtlnder and get use to that range, or... look for the 28mm which isn't a great lens, but an okay one. I only got it for a back up.

I also agree about the resolution, this is why I don't like the idea of 'upgrading' you compensate resolution among other things for a better sensor. It still blows my mind ISO 10000+ exists when it's a struggle in this country to get ISO800 film.

Thank you for your 2 cents.

Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724

You seem to be an UWA kind of shooter. 35mm for full frame means you need about 24mm on DX equivalent.

Also, Sigma has come very, very far in the last three years. They have the sharpest (and most contrasty) 35mm and 50mm auto focus lenses on the market. And their macros and "standard f/2.8 zooms" are very good for the money. Tamron has some winners too.

I think you should break it up into three lenses.

Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 as your workhorse lens.

Sigma 8-16 as your UWA lens. It is the widest of the Wides DX. For your type of shooting, you can probably make that thing take some amazing photos.

Last the Nikon 35 f/1.8 AFS DX as your very lightweight prime for when you want to travel light an inconspicuous.

Another option is the following:

Nikon 10-24 for UWA

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS for your standard zoom.

Sigma 30 f/1.4 Art or Nikon 28 f/1.8 AFS G for your low light, smallish prime.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373

Lambrook wrote:

I've never owned a sigma lens and I'm still stuck in the mind-frame that a Sigma zoom will never compare in sharpness and contrast to Nikon.

The newest sigma's will many time outperform the nikon counterparts. The 24mm f1.8 sigma is a dog of a lens though. The 18-35 f1.8 is REALLY good and sounds like what you would like.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7 +16 more
PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,681

The 10-20 f4-5.6 Sigma DX zoom is a great lens for Nikon DX although I don't have your specific body.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads