Planes - Lancasters, Vulcan and more (10 photos)

Started Aug 25, 2014 | Discussions
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Planes - Lancasters, Vulcan and more (10 photos)

Lancasters

Canberra and Hunter

Vulcan and Gnats

Vulcan and Gnats

Jet Provost

Fokkers

Dakota C47, Mitchell B25, Mustang P51D, Spitfire - D-Day tribute

Red Arrows

Spitfire and Mustang

Wingwalking

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,168
Re: Planes - Lancasters, Vulcan and more (10 photos)

Great photos, it must be a real treat to see the only 2 Lancaster still flying at the same time, the one from my backyard the other from yours. I hear someone paid $78000 for a flight in our Lancaster from Canada to the UK

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Seahbc Junior Member • Posts: 43

Beautiful. How I envy you.

Seahbc's gear list:Seahbc's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
OP steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Very unique and emotional day

The Canadian Lancaster coming over has hit the headlines and drawn capacity crowds everywhere it appears.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,050
Re: Very unique and emotional day

Great stuff!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +16 more
photosbygar Regular Member • Posts: 278

Great shots of great aircraft. Good to know the Canadian Lanc can still make it across the pond!

-- hide signature --
donnybrook Regular Member • Posts: 133

I have so been waiting for a Pentaxian to post some photos of our Cdn Lancaster over there doing the air show circuit.  Must have sounded great too - 8 Rolls Royce Merlin engines in close formation.  Thanks so much.  BTW, that one with the Mustang and Spitfire together, banking like that, is just totally awesome!  I too envy you... Go K-7 !!

donnybrook's gear list:donnybrook's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,064

Very nice.

I always thought that Vulcans were very cool planes. Am I correct they the only time they were used was in the Falklands?

Joe

Jim Beverlin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,477

Great shots!  Love the old WW II prop planes.  The sound from the Lancaster's engines must have been superb.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Correct, they were designed as nuclear bombers as part of the UK's deterrence force. Their only combat role was the Falklands mission when they were at the end of their service life. They couldn't have done it without the support of the Victors, another nuclear bomber design from the same era.

Remarkably the Vulcan was the brainchild of the same man who designed the Lancaster, Roy Chadwick, which he sketched out just five years after the first flight of the Lancaster.

-- hide signature --

Steve

www.pbase.com/steephill

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,751

photosbygar wrote:

Great shots of great aircraft. Good to know the Canadian Lanc can still make it across the pond!

I didn't realize it ever could have made it across the pond! IIRC, it was never known for its range, but rather its ability to carry insane payloads. It was the only plane of its era capable of delivering the 22,000 lb "Grand Slam".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/unearthed-secrets-of-the-devastation-caused-by-grand-slam-the-largest-wwii-bomb-ever-tested-in-the-uk-9078395.html

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K20D Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,751

Wonderful series Steve. I especially enjoyed the last one. It looks surreal.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K20D Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
Futax Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

Great stuff, Steve.  I'm hoping to see them at the Bournemouth Air Festival this weekend, if the weather holds.  Deterring factor might be getting back home afterwards, the last time took forever.  Problem is that road access to/from a coastal location is limited to 180 degrees, as opposed to 360 degrees for an inland venue.

-- hide signature --

- Keith.

Futax's gear list:Futax's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-XS1 +4 more
welshwizard Regular Member • Posts: 493

Dunsfold - Saturday or Sunday?  Magnificent the Lanc were and the touch with the Vulcan flying with the Gnats was impressive.

Great shots - I am still going through mine,,

-- hide signature --

20 years ago a maginifent Mickey Thomas free-kick and Steve Watkin's sublime winner knocked the Gunners out of the FA Cup - 1st vs 92nd... Let's hope Andy Morrell's Red Army continue WREXHAM's unsurpassed Giant-Killing tradition tomorrow.....

Both days!

Lucky enough to live reasonably locally so had easy trips in and out. Some of the aerobatic stuff was incredible but still photography doesn't do it justice.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,390
Re: Both days!

Fantastic photos !

I'm looking forward to seeing them at the Scottish Airshow in two weeks - still trying to decide whether to shoot photos or video !

As I only live 20 miles from Ayr , I'm thinking of shooting video on the Saturday when they are flying , then going on the Sunday for the static show on the ground and shooting stills ...

Can't do both at once and do a decent job of it , I've learned this from past experience .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +46 more
tcom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,454

Excellent series, thank you for sharing.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Pentax 645D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645Z Nikon D5 Nikon D500 +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads