SONY ALPHA SOUND GAIN CONTROL PETITION! Please sign!

Started Aug 24, 2014 | Discussions
gghh New Member • Posts: 1
SONY ALPHA SOUND GAIN CONTROL PETITION! Please sign!

Please sign this petition to encourage Sony to add gain control to Sony alpha cameras, especially the A77!

https://www.change.org/p/sony-add-manual-sound-gain-control-to-sony-slt-a77-in-firmware-update

Manual gain control is a feature that allows the camera user to set the sound level during video recording. It is a very important feature for any decent camera, the Sony Alpha SLT-A77 included. Disappointingly, Sony has not included this feature, and so the cameras have only auto gain control (AGC). AGC, which applies both to internal and external microphones (yes - it ruins even the audio from pro mics!), automatically sets the sound levels depending on how loud the audio signal is, so if someone is speaking, it's fine but if the enviroment is quiet, the camera will amplify the ambient sounds, rendering the audio useless with hissing, humming and lens noise, even with a professional external microphone.

This means that the A77 is useless for recording decent audio, because AGC renders the audio utterly useless with hissing even if it is recorded with a high quality microphone.

K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103
A77 II has it

Not sure if it could be added to A77 via firmware, would be a nice add, but might be a chip based AGC.

A77II has audio level control and display I have mapped it the Drive button and moved Drive to the totally unused WB button that is closer to the shutter.

But there is no way I would ever sign THAT petition.. Because it declares the signer as reckless.  It says "If I had known the A77 didn't have this before I bought it"  Its  your job as a consumer to know.. I am  not signing a petition that says "I didn't do my homework, please fix it for me"

If it were worded without the "I admit I shop poorly" phrase I might sign it.. even as I get ready to sell my A77.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,136
Re: A77 II has it

K E Hoffman wrote:

Not sure if it could be added to A77 via firmware, would be a nice add, but might be a chip based AGC.

A77II has audio level control and display I have mapped it the Drive button and moved Drive to the totally unused WB button that is closer to the shutter.

But there is no way I would ever sign THAT petition.. Because it declares the signer as reckless. It says "If I had known the A77 didn't have this before I bought it" Its your job as a consumer to know.. I am not signing a petition that says "I didn't do my homework, please fix it for me"

If it were worded without the "I admit I shop poorly" phrase I might sign it.. even as I get ready to sell my A77.

So they have it on the A77ii?  Well, thats the answer for the OP.  Unfortunately, Sony usually doesnt add new features to older models.

The best you can do is petition for certain features on the next models.  IE petition now, if you want a feature in the A77iii

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
eddiewood Contributing Member • Posts: 626
Re: SONY ALPHA SOUND GAIN CONTROL PETITION! Please sign!

The A77 is discontinued and the feature has been included in the A77II.  You have ZERO chance of Sony adding features to the A77 that would harm A77II sales!

eddiewood's gear list:eddiewood's gear list
Sony a77 II
repdetect Regular Member • Posts: 124

eddiewood wrote:

The A77 is discontinued and the feature has been included in the A77II. You have ZERO chance of Sony adding features to the A77 that would harm A77II sales!

+1

repdetect's gear list:repdetect's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Steve Cohan Senior Member • Posts: 1,839

My friend, what you say is not accurate. I have shot tons of video with the a77 and the Sennheiser MKE400 with excellent results. I also use Sony wireless mics and the Blue encore 100. All give me great audio. That being said I bought the a77 MII a couple months ago but have not shot video with it as yet.

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pixel peeper. I just shoot images.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +17 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 50,946

The A77ii does have gain control along with level meters visible in the viewfinder but the chances of them adding it to a discontinued camera like the A77 is nil.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads