AWESOME

Started Aug 24, 2014 | User reviews
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
AWESOME
1

Just fantastic. You've heard the term "plastic fantastic" before? Never has it applied to a lens so much as with this beauty.

I've upscaled duplicates of blueprints to 24x36" at 300 dpi (75 Megapixels) with this lens and every single little detail is there. This must be the one of the sharpest lenses in Pentax's lineup, if not the sharpest.

And it's like $100.

Enough said.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Prime lens • Pentax KAF • 22177
Announced: May 21, 2012
ragmanjin's score
5.0
Average community score
3.7
fotobert
fotobert Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Re: AWESOME

Hi Raj.,

What's your experience with the AF. It was the weak point in the lenstip test.

Have a nice day
Albert

Btw: where is the < sarcasm> tag? Did you post it days before?

 fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +24 more
miles500
miles500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,204
Re: AWESOME

DXO has produced a report on the best zooms and primes for both K5iis and K3 and this lens is rated by them as one of the sharpest.

-- hide signature --

Miles500

 miles500's gear list:miles500's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm X-T5 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
ragmanjin
OP ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: AWESOME

fotobert wrote:

Hi Raj.,

What's your experience with the AF. It was the weak point in the lenstip test.

Have a nice day
Albert

Btw: where is the < sarcasm> tag? Did you post it days before?

Albert,

Both the K-3 and K-50 seem to drive it snappily enough to me. I'm not shooting oncoming traffic or anything with it but I've never had a problem with it being too slow to catch something, and it seems pretty much on par with the other screw drive lenses. Much, much faster than some other screw driven systems I've used before.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

ragmanjin
OP ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: AWESOME

miles500 wrote:

DXO has produced a report on the best zooms and primes for both K5iis and K3 and this lens is rated by them as one of the sharpest.

I believe it.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

fotobert
fotobert Contributing Member • Posts: 946
AF

Hi Raj,

sorry, that question was not precise. Not the speed of the AF, but the accuracy was the problem in the test mentioned. I understand you reply in that way, that you did not have any problems with accuracy on the K3 and K50, right?

Albert

 fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +24 more
ragmanjin
OP ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: AF

fotobert wrote:

Hi Raj,

sorry, that question was not precise. Not the speed of the AF, but the accuracy was the problem in the test mentioned. I understand you reply in that way, that you did not have any problems with accuracy on the K3 and K50, right?

Albert

Yeah, I've had no problems with speed or accuracy with this lens on either of the bodies I've been using lately. I don't know if there are good or bad copies floating around out there or not, but mine has been an absolute gem.

-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,462
Re: AF

I like mine, use it on the K-01. But in Japan at least it costs closer to $200 than to $100.

-- hide signature --

Rube

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads