My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions
Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,870
My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Just thought about this for what it is worth, which yes I know is not that much since I have no insider knowledge:

The huge firmware update for the E-M1 is likely a contract with Panasonic that gave Panasonic a half year or more with very high quality of video before allowing Olympus to unlock those features on their cameras as well.  Remember how everyone was surprised that Olympus used a Panasonic sensor for the E-M1 when the Sony sensor was in every other camera?

And it may very well also be something to placate E-M1 customers when Olympus unveils some nice new technology soon in the upcoming E-M5 II

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Macx Senior Member • Posts: 1,433
Re: My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Just thought about this for what it is worth, which yes I know is not that much since I have no insider knowledge:

The huge firmware update for the E-M1 is likely a contract with Panasonic that gave Panasonic a half year or more with very high quality of video before allowing Olympus to unlock those features on their cameras as well. Remember how everyone was surprised that Olympus used a Panasonic sensor for the E-M1 when the Sony sensor was in every other camera?

And it may very well also be something to placate E-M1 customers when Olympus unveils some nice new technology soon in the upcoming E-M5 II

Well, you might be right, but it would surprise me very much if we see anything that comes close to what the GH4 is capable of. My guess is for more frame rate options, at the very least a 24/25/50 fps option. Maybe a higher speed, maybe at reduced resolution. Maybe a 4K mode at reduced fps. Maybe some tweaking of PDAF during video.

OP Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,870

I don't think Panasonic sold the GH4 sensor to Olympus, but a Panasonic sensor undoubtedly has better video quality than we have seen on the E-M1.  Maybe something in between the GH3 and the GH4?

Macx wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

The huge firmware update for the E-M1 is likely a contract with Panasonic that gave Panasonic a half year or more with very high quality of video before allowing Olympus to unlock those features on their cameras as well. Remember how everyone was surprised that Olympus used a Panasonic sensor for the E-M1 when the Sony sensor was in every other camera?

And it may very well also be something to placate E-M1 customers when Olympus unveils some nice new technology soon in the upcoming E-M5 II

Well, you might be right, but it would surprise me very much if we see anything that comes close to what the GH4 is capable of. My guess is for more frame rate options, at the very least a 24/25/50 fps option. Maybe a higher speed, maybe at reduced resolution. Maybe a 4K mode at reduced fps. Maybe some tweaking of PDAF during video.

MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/13280/5-reasons-olympus-e-m1-will-not-get-4k-video

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
OP Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,870

High quality doesn't necessarily have to mean 4K.  If the video of the E-M1 improves to the level of the GH3, with the Olympus IBIS, it will be quite an impressive all around piece of equipment.  It's just a shame that Panasonic seems stingier with their sensor technology than Sony.  I still remember the bad old days of the first m43, before Olympus starting sourcing from Sony for the E-M5, where Olympus was always using hand me down technology in their sensors from Panasonic.

MichaelKJ wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,403

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

High quality doesn't necessarily have to mean 4K. If the video of the E-M1 improves to the level of the GH3, with the Olympus IBIS, it will be quite an impressive all around piece of equipment. It's just a shame that Panasonic seems stingier with their sensor technology than Sony. I still remember the bad old days of the first m43, before Olympus starting sourcing from Sony for the E-M5, where Olympus was always using hand me down technology in their sensors from Panasonic.

Heat due to the floating sensor will prevent it. This is basic physics. Olympus designs their cameras for still photography, Panasonic designs their cameras for motion capture. That's the bottom line.

Isn't it great that we can buy a single kit of Micro-FourThirds lenses and have such choices? And that you can also buy a Black Magic dedicated video camera with professional grade capabilities using the same lens mount?

-- hide signature --
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,532

MichaelKJ wrote:

Even if (and that's a BIG if) the OM1 could support 4K video, point number 4 is a driving force to the manufacturer.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
CDBayy Regular Member • Posts: 288

Regarding the definitive pronouncements of Andrew Reid on EOSHD.com… well gosh golly, if it's on the Internet it must be true.

Last I checked Andrew Reid is not an engineer, not a physicist, not an electrical engineer.  But somehow because he is a FILMMAKER he is qualified to state as fact that 4K video in the EM-1 is an engineering impossibility.  LOL!

-- hide signature --

Chris in St. Louis

TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

High quality doesn't necessarily have to mean 4K. If the video of the E-M1 improves to the level of the GH3, with the Olympus IBIS, it will be quite an impressive all around piece of equipment. It's just a shame that Panasonic seems stingier with their sensor technology than Sony. I still remember the bad old days of the first m43, before Olympus starting sourcing from Sony for the E-M5, where Olympus was always using hand me down technology in their sensors from Panasonic.

Heat due to the floating sensor will prevent it. This is basic physics. Olympus designs their cameras for still photography, Panasonic designs their cameras for motion capture. That's the bottom line.

Isn't it great that we can buy a single kit of Micro-FourThirds lenses and have such choices? And that you can also buy a Black Magic dedicated video camera with professional grade capabilities using the same lens mount?

I do not say that 4k video is for sure, but I doubt heat on the sensor is an issue. Hey, I do live view for hours. If it is somewhere there is an issue it it's in the Trupic chip ability to handle this large amount of data that needs to be worked on.
So in my view, it is possible that the E-M1 get 4k video, but maybe not very likely.

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
SidSnot
SidSnot Contributing Member • Posts: 995

GodSpeaks wrote:

Even if (and that's a BIG if) the OM1 could support 4K video, point number 4 is a driving force to the manufacturer.

Absolutely, 100%....

Not very often Oly gives anything away for free, and nothing that substantial *ever*...

I'm sure that 4k video is somewhere on their future 'road map' but we won't be getting it as a free firmware update that's for sure

SidSnot's gear list:SidSnot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,532

CDBayy wrote:

Regarding the definitive pronouncements of Andrew Reid on EOSHD.com… well gosh golly, if it's on the Internet it must be true.

Is that what I said?

Last I checked Andrew Reid is not an engineer, not a physicist, not an electrical engineer. But somehow because he is a FILMMAKER he is qualified to state as fact that 4K video in the EM-1 is an engineering impossibility. LOL!

Whether EODHD is qualified or not is irrelevant.  Simple logic says it is unlikely (though not impossible) a manufacturer would 'give away' what is likely to be a fairly hot product improvement.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I don't think Panasonic sold the GH4 sensor to Olympus, but a Panasonic sensor undoubtedly has better video quality than we have seen on the E-M1. Maybe something in between the GH3 and the GH4?

The sensor in the GH4 and the E-M1 is in all likelihood the same (except for the stack on top of it).

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds8/c3/IS00006AE.pdf

http://www.43rumors.com/surprise-olympus-e-m1-uses-a-panasonic-sensor/

Macx wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
cfh25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
Would people pay for an update?

Perhaps Olympus will try a different approach - one that has been advocated by a number of commentators

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

GodSpeaks wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

It's only that they are not giving it away. The E-M1 is a current model and will probably remain current for at least another year. It would presumably sell better with 4K video than without. If Oly can even out the score with respect to the five first points here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53563743

the advantages it has over Pany with regard to stablization (IBIS) and focus (PDAF) would presumably take much of the wind out of the GH4 sails (or should that be sales? ).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010

Anders W wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

It's only that they are not giving it away. The E-M1 is a current model and will probably remain current for at least another year. It would presumably sell better with 4K video than without. If Oly can even out the score with respect to the five first points here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53563743

the advantages it has over Pany with regard to stablization (IBIS) and focus (PDAF) would presumably take much of the wind out of the GH4 sails (or should that be sales? ).

I agree even though I have zero interest in video the the present time. I think it's a given that there will be a major change in the video capabilities of the E-M1. There was an interview with top Olympus executives sometime back  and they indicated that they were making video a high priority. High quality stabilized video would be a killer feature for the right people.

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,387

My prediction is that it will not get all the great things that rumors have mentioned and that people will be bummed out.  What it will get is improvements in video then there is few things in the E-M10 that it will get.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Firmware targeted at Sony/Canon/Nikon not Panasonic

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I doubt the below average video capabilities of the E-M1 are anything to do with a deal with Panasonic. The E-M1 has weak video features because when Oly were developing the E-M1 they chose not to expend resources on the software development needed for decent video. Instead they prioritised making it a stills camera with PDAF support for their 4/3 lens users.

The E-M1 has been a success in this role and together with the 12-40 f/2.8 lens has been generating revenue for Olympus.

With this revenue Olympus have had the funds to spend on the neglected software development.

I expect the new firmware to improve the video features significantly and also have some still improvements as well. I doubt we will see 4K but I don't rule it out altogether.

The improved video features have not been developed to challenge the GH4 but instead to strengthen the E-M1 (& EM10) against current and future Sony/Canon/Nikon cameras. The E-M1 is unlikely to be replaced for a while and we can expect the other manufactures to introduce competing cameras in the interim.

The E-M1 needs better video than it currently has if it is to compete effectively. It doesn't need to have the best video features but it can't afford for them to be below average.

As an aside I also hope Olympus take the opportunity when they update the firmware to overhaul their menu system and improve how their cameras interact with PCs and Macs over wifi.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010

CDBayy wrote:

Last I checked Andrew Reid is not an engineer, not a physicist, not an electrical engineer. But somehow because he is a FILMMAKER he is qualified to state as fact that 4K video in the EM-1 is an engineering impossibility. LOL!

Oh, and I suppose the 4K and improved video rumors for the E-M1 updat came from somewhere other than random people on the internet?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,403

TorsteinH wrote:

I do not say that 4k video is for sure, but I doubt heat on the sensor is an issue. Hey, I do live view for hours. If it is somewhere there is an issue it it's in the Trupic chip ability to handle this large amount of data that needs to be worked on.
So in my view, it is possible that the E-M1 get 4k video, but maybe not very likely.

Live View is well under video capture mode power consumption and won't ever stress the sensor with heat. Even running 1080 capture mode will overheat the E-M1 after some period of time, depending upon ambient conditions. That's why they put heat sensors and shutdown routines in it.

-- hide signature --
Its RKM Veteran Member • Posts: 3,120

Godfrey wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Heat due to the floating sensor will prevent it. This is basic physics.

That isn't physics at all, it is mere speculation.

The main power dissipation on a CMOS sensor is during readout and the EM-1 already runs quite happily at 10fps for full 16Mp resolution - and outputs additional frames in between those to update the EVF.  Running at 3x the frame rate (ie. 30fps) with half as much data (4K video) doesn't seem too much, if at all, beyond the power levels that the IBIS system already dissipates quite satisfactorily.

I'm not saying that the EM-1 is likely to get 4K, in fact I think its very unlikely to, but the power dissipation capability of the IBIS mount is unlikely to be a deciding factor - or at all relevant.

-- hide signature --

Its RKM

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads