*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.08.23 ***

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions
Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 17,448
Re: San Francisco

That Live Comp works so well. The second for me.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +5 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Two from Point Defiance Zoo

He's a fine fellow.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +5 more
Wormsmeat
Re: A few images from Pondicherry

Just love the first.

Wormsmeat
Re: *** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.08.23 ***

Hey  - who gave you permission to take pictures of my house?

Wormsmeat
Re: Chooks

Chooks?

Wormsmeat
Re: Downtown Tampa

Absoluteley nothing wrong with the second - I love it.

Wormsmeat
Re: GX7 ....

The first and last are sooo Paris.

Wormsmeat
Re: *** This Week - readership -- "it's on the internet so it must be true!"

Hen3ry wrote:

Wormsmeat wrote:

…Important to keep this thread going as more people now read it than the UK Sunday Times, New York Times and Cosmopoloitan magazine combined*.

* I made this up.

And now you have launched ANOTHER "internet statistic". LOL.

Mind you, given the fact that print circulations are falling off a cliff, this new "statistic" could well be true in a couple of years!

Cheers, geoff

We're working on it...

Ron Evers
Ron Evers Senior Member • Posts: 1,675
Three of my trees

When I planted these three Walnut trees they were as tall as me.

Black Walnut trees.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +15 more
Wormsmeat
Re: Berlin Jewish Memorial - actually it looks like…

Hen3ry wrote:

Wormsmeat wrote:

These photos are taken at the Berlin Jewish Memorial. It's an extraordinary place, 5 acres of varying concrete blocks which according to architect Peter Eisenman "represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason".

As a piece of art that humans can interact with, it's breathtaking. As a memorial to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, it's chilling.

Eisenman has done a great job -- building a model of any major city today, a memorial to the idiocy of the richer end of humankind.

As a memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe -- well, I see nothing in it.

What do you mean there H?

Cheers, geoff

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

Wormsmeat wrote:

Chooks?

Sorry...just slang for chickens

Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Melbourne's signature

Hiya sylon

Yaelle suggested the station looked as though it might have had a night out. (It used to be the location for nights out, of course -- I believe the big ballroom still exists.) But in this case, maybe the photographer had a night out?

This pic needs one of the most simple post processing techniques -- rotation -- to get the verticals vertical and the horizontals horizontal. Do you do PP or do you rely on everything straight out of the camera (dubbed OOC on this forum)? A bit of light PP can do wonders, even when the image quality is as excellent as the GM1 delivers.

A bit of an increase in contrast and brightness would have helped bring out more detail given the flat lighting.

The second pix gets a very nice sunset but I found the crane against light and dark backgrounds, quite distracting.

Again, PP can come to the rescue.

I have copied your picture, then in PhotoLine (<$100 and a few minutes download for a very versatile app) selected and copied a small slice adjacent to the crane and copied and pasted it over the crane. I have left the crane partly uncovered to illustrate what I did. Once the slice is in place, minor adjustment of the image conceals the deceit.

I hope you like the result:

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Re: Clouds - three wonderful pix, Wazza! Wow!

The first one for imagination, the second for just beautiful scenery nicely composed, and the third one for grabbing the moment in an excellent composition before the clouds moved.

I suppose, in the end, the first captures me, but the other two are not to be ignored!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Re: Prairie Flowers - your 3rd shot kills me, eques

How on earth do you (and others of your macrophiliac ilk) get little critters to stay still for longer enough to get the picture from quite close?

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Hen3ry
Golly, Ron, and you so young. You must be the world's tallest man!!! LOL.

Ron Evers wrote:

When I planted these three Walnut trees they were as tall as me.

Black Walnut trees.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,190
Re: Downtown Tampa

Wormsmeat wrote:

Interesting comment because I think that if it wouldn't be so darn noisy that the first one would be more compelling.

I thought the second was a slam dunk when I was there but when I got home it seemed so far a way and small compared to my experience being there. I think you like it because you oblivious to how much better it actually was.

Five years from now I will probably understand what went wrong but now, if I went back there tomorrow and tried again I wouldn't know how to do it better... #2 that is. #1 I'd do at f4.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 32,019
Re: *** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.08.23 ***

Both very fine images that make me want to visit.

Andrew

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 32,019

Colourful birds and your Tamron does well.  Back in the 70's I used a Tamron zoom with my OM1 and 2 for a while before swithching to an Olympus zoom simply because the colours would show differently in a slide presentation when lens changes were made.  It was a sharp and useful optic.

Andrew

Hen3ry
Re: Berlin Jewish Memorial - actually it looks like…

Wormsmeat wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Wormsmeat wrote:

These photos are taken at the Berlin Jewish Memorial. It's an extraordinary place, 5 acres of varying concrete blocks which according to architect Peter Eisenman "represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason".

As a piece of art that humans can interact with, it's breathtaking. As a memorial to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, it's chilling.

Eisenman has done a great job -- building a model of any major city today, a memorial to the idiocy of the richer end of humankind.

As a memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe -- well, I see nothing in it.

What do you mean there H?

I just don't see anything in it that signifies Jewishness -- or the dead, if it comes to that. I understand that this is only part of a whole, but as a statement, it should stand alone.

I do like your signature use of people in it by the way -- breaks up and emphasizes the concrete nicely.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Hen3ry
Salvation is at hand, Florida

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Wormsmeat wrote:

Interesting comment because I think that if it wouldn't be so darn noisy that the first one would be more compelling.

I thought the second was a slam dunk when I was there but when I got home it seemed so far a way and small compared to my experience being there. I think you like it because you oblivious to how much better it actually was.

Ah, you need to:

1. Adjust the format so it is long and narrow
  2. Print it up big and stick it on the wall
  3. View it only in the early morning
  4. View it with the audio and olfactory files switched on and set at an appropriate volume.

LOL!

But seriously -- this just cries out to me for the top and bottom of the pic to be severely cropped and for it to be viewed BIG.

I have the same kind of problem every time I photograph Rabaul (see the banner pic in my rabaulpng.com site).

Five years from now I will probably understand what went wrong but now, if I went back there tomorrow and tried again I wouldn't know how to do it better... #2 that is. #1 I'd do at f4.

Do #1 at f4 and weep for the loss of the stars around the lights.

Or prove me wrong and get the stars and as a bonus, have a good chuckle at the smart a*se (Aust/UK spelling!) who seemed to think only a very small aperture would do it!

I will be checking Part 2. LOL again!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads