What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: New Sony A9 full-frame camera?

philip pj wrote:

Not the time to go to high density in full frame - most people think the a7r pounds lenses' corners too hard. Much more likely is a few lens announcements plus a surprise camera - there has only been one RX1 (plus the non-AA) version...any stronger sensor makes much more sense on a fixed lens camera.

Look, even a 36Mp non-AA RX1 with no change would sell well, it would drop in to the prod line as is. There is also the 51Mp sensor in MFD, this could be turned into something ultra special in fixed lens.

I am sure they know what their next two years are going to be, sensor wise. They will hold it all back for a while.

The Loxias need to lose 10mm of length over the ZMs or account for it in design, the reg distance from M to E. How many changes did they make? will the corners be better than the ZMs? What is the max beam angle? How successful were they at reducing wide aperture vignetting for the Biogon? They may be quite affordable.

A lot of the ZMs are very much older style design..almost all were wide angles = eight of them, two very good fifties and two odd but fascinating 85mm lenses made up the range. The discontinued Sonnar 85/2 has truly amazing MTF data, as good as the top Leica M 90mm lens.

Plenty of character lenses in there. good to have them in FE.

I am convinced there will be at least one new RX1 model. Probably a 36 mp but maybe a 50, too. What specialized function could an RX1 50 offer to make it worthwhile? As you said, that sensor will be crowded. But what if this was the new curved sensor, would that help with noise issues in some way, etc?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Senior Member • Posts: 2,986
Re: New Sony A9 full-frame camera?

Generally, I would assume this to be a Medium Format version of the RX1 with a viewfinder built in and weatherproofing, and selling for about 7,900. That being said, if they also release an RX2 with a curved 36 MP FF sensor and a 35/1.8 lens - let's say for 3,200 starting - these would compete for the same market, so perhaps this is wrong?

philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: New Sony A9 full-frame camera?

Well, if they don't do at least an RX1 with the 36Mp sensor they are missing out on sales and reputation, both of which they can do with, right?

On the idea of a 51Mp 44x33 camera, nothing compares. The guys running the MF digital back outfits are over the moon about this sensor - which in performance is basically a scaled up a7r. Pixels are sized the same as those of a 30Mp FF sensor, an excellent compromise.

High ISO performance in MFD will come into existence for the first time with this sensor, so weddings in MFD! High ISO will be the best out there. You can imagine Sony has heavy duty contractual arrangements for these outfits but there is already the Pentax 645Z, a full-featured DSLR camera that has, as its heart, this fine sensor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045517-REG/pentax_16599_645z_digital_slr_camera.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pentax_645z_first_impressions_review.shtml

Since that camera costs $8500, it's likely Sony could produce a scaled up RX1 for less - many fewer moving parts! And all the R&D is done, so ask CZ to redesign the Sonnar to cover the still quite small image circle, and it would still be tiny and much better at high ISO, with a leaf shutter and video.

Bear in mind a D810 and 58mm f1.4 together cost $5000..I'd say they would sell lots of them at $6000 or so. And make money doing it.

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: New Sony A9 full-frame camera?

travelinbri_74 wrote:

Generally, I would assume this to be a Medium Format version of the RX1 with a viewfinder built in and weatherproofing, and selling for about 7,900. That being said, if they also release an RX2 with a curved 36 MP FF sensor and a 35/1.8 lens - let's say for 3,200 starting - these would compete for the same market, so perhaps this is wrong?

That is an exciting prospect for some, but beyond my means.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: Sony KW1 Compact Camera Rumored To Sport Prime (Curved?) Lens

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: Sony KW1 Compact Camera Rumored To Sport Prime (Curved?) Lens

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: Sony KW1 Compact Camera Rumored To Sport Prime (Curved?) Lens

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

Commonly when the makers mark the FL of their tiny P&S lenses, they use the 35mm equivalent figure and not the real figure. So this is exactly what I would expect. Not at all unusual and a bit on the wide side.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: Sony KW1 Compact Camera Rumored To Sport Prime (Curved?) Lens

captura wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

Commonly when the makers mark the FL of their tiny P&S lenses, they use the 35mm equivalent figure and not the real figure. So this is exactly what I would expect. Not at all unusual and a bit on the wide side.

In that case this is the curved-sensor sports camera I predicted a few days ago on this thread but with a smaller sensor, instead of 1".

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: hmmmm?? 23mm FL "sports" camera?

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

Commonly when the makers mark the FL of their tiny P&S lenses, they use the 35mm equivalent figure and not the real figure. So this is exactly what I would expect. Not at all unusual and a bit on the wide side.

In that case this is the curved-sensor sports camera I predicted a few days ago on this thread but with a smaller sensor, instead of 1".

for what sports exactly?

party of chess?? a table tennis aka ping-pong??? or what ????

jpr2

120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: re: hmmmm?? 23mm FL "sports" camera?

jpr2 wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

Commonly when the makers mark the FL of their tiny P&S lenses, they use the 35mm equivalent figure and not the real figure. So this is exactly what I would expect. Not at all unusual and a bit on the wide side.

In that case this is the curved-sensor sports camera I predicted a few days ago on this thread but with a smaller sensor, instead of 1".

for what sports exactly?

party of chess?? a table tennis aka ping-pong??? or what ????

jpr2

Skydiving, rock climbing, cycling, rally driving ... The camera is often worn or attached to a helmet.

Mateus1 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: re: hmmmm?? 23mm FL "sports" camera?

Zeiss Distagon 24/2 FF

Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Distagon 16/1.8 APS-C

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: re: hmmmm?? 23mm FL "sports" camera?

120 to 35 wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

captura wrote:

" ...if the rumors are to be believed, could see an announcement in the next few days. So what so interesting about this camera? Well for starters the rumors claim that it will be a compact camera with a 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS sensor, which by all accounts sounds normal enough, but here’s the kicker – it will come with a prime lens of the 23mm f/2.0 variety. Most compact cameras tend to have lenses that can zoom, so having a prime lens would make it a very unique proposition......Sony Alpha Rumors speculate that it could rely on a curved sensor although we won’t have any way of knowing until the official launch. Other rumored specs of the camera includes optical image stabilization, a built-in ND filter, a 3-inch display, shutter speeds of 1/8000 seconds, built-in WiFi and NFC connectivity, and support for a variety of memory cards."

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/08/upcoming-sony-kw1-compact-camera-rumored-to-sport-prime-lens/

The rumored specifications do not add up. A 23mm lens on a 1/2.3 inch sensor is like a 110mm lens on full frame. What is the market for a camera with a fixed long lens? Does the lens design even benefit from a curved sensor at this focal length and sensor size combination?

Commonly when the makers mark the FL of their tiny P&S lenses, they use the 35mm equivalent figure and not the real figure. So this is exactly what I would expect. Not at all unusual and a bit on the wide side.

In that case this is the curved-sensor sports camera I predicted a few days ago on this thread but with a smaller sensor, instead of 1".

for what sports exactly?

party of chess?? a table tennis aka ping-pong??? or what ????

jpr2

Skydiving, rock climbing, cycling, rally driving ... The camera is often worn or attached to a helmet.

A Get-Pro competitor? Or a waterproof/ underwater camera?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: indeed, they'd be fine, provided... they will be AF (a fat chance for that)
1

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: re: indeed, they'd be fine, provided... they will be AF (a fat chance for that)

jpr2 wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

Yessir!

"A dearth of Auto Focus FE lenses...why?"

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50774-dearth-auto-focus-fe-lenses-why.html

Why Zeiss Does Not Make Autofocus DSLR Lenses

http://photographylife.com/zeiss-make-autofocus-dslr-lenses

Steve

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: they stress Canikon's DSLRs BUT... neglect the Touits !!!

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

Yessir!

"A dearth of Auto Focus FE lenses...why?"

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50774-dearth-auto-focus-fe-lenses-why.html

Why Zeiss Does Not Make Autofocus DSLR Lenses

http://photographylife.com/zeiss-make-autofocus-dslr-lenses

Steve,

both lines of argument concentrated of the DSLRs, almost completely neglecting the existence of Touits = they did appear, apparently with no only good optics, but also with quite passable AF'ing.

Thus, the arguing the licensing obstacles do not apply. And the Sony's E-mount primes longer than 55mm are so far failing to materialize !!

jpr2

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: re: they stress Canikon's DSLRs BUT... neglect the Touits !!!

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

Yessir!

"A dearth of Auto Focus FE lenses...why?"

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50774-dearth-auto-focus-fe-lenses-why.html

Why Zeiss Does Not Make Autofocus DSLR Lenses

http://photographylife.com/zeiss-make-autofocus-dslr-lenses

Steve,

both lines of argument concentrated of the DSLRs, almost completely neglecting the existence of Touits = they did appear, apparently with no only good optics, but also with quite passable AF'ing.

Thus, the arguing the licensing obstacles do not apply. And the Sony's E-mount primes longer than 55mm are so far failing to materialize !!

jpr2

It's little wonder that the Metabones adapters are selling so well! I guess Sony just assumed that everyone would just automatically adapt to Sony A-mount long lenses. Some did and some didn't.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,412
re: the whole industry seems to be marching to nowhere !!
1

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

Yessir!

"A dearth of Auto Focus FE lenses...why?"

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50774-dearth-auto-focus-fe-lenses-why.html

Why Zeiss Does Not Make Autofocus DSLR Lenses

http://photographylife.com/zeiss-make-autofocus-dslr-lenses

Steve,

both lines of argument concentrated of the DSLRs, almost completely neglecting the existence of Touits = they did appear, apparently with no only good optics, but also with quite passable AF'ing.

Thus, the arguing the licensing obstacles do not apply. And the Sony's E-mount primes longer than 55mm are so far failing to materialize !!

jpr2

It's little wonder that the Metabones adapters are selling so well! I guess Sony just assumed that everyone would just automatically adapt to Sony A-mount long lenses. Some did and some didn't.

the whole photo industry seems to be marching to nowhere !! day after day I'm checking various sites for news about Photokina 2014, and... all I find are items of no interest to me whatsoever: the Qx1, a new 4k video camcorder, Zeiss primes with no AF, endless iterations on the humpy-dumpy A7* theme, etc.

My GAS is dying, starved out of sheer boredom - I didn't buy any new photo item for ages, actually it feels like it is the whole Eternity!

On the Canon front also a total desert - no APS-C MILC with a built in EVF, and with AF worthy the name "fast focusing" !!

Nikon regurgitates the failed N1 2.7x design, so now it is what.... N3 already????

etc, etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sigh, arrrrrrrgh

jpr2

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: re: the whole industry seems to be marching to nowhere !!

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

captura wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Mateus1 wrote:

Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 FF

Zeiss Sonnar 90/2 APS-C

I suppose most FE and APS-C users would be very happy to see them.

indeed, they'd be fine, esp. these two longer ones, BUT... there are plenty of very good MF primes in the same FL range and brightness, whereas there is a real DEARTH OF the same but equipped with state of the art AF !!!

jpr2

Yessir!

"A dearth of Auto Focus FE lenses...why?"

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50774-dearth-auto-focus-fe-lenses-why.html

Why Zeiss Does Not Make Autofocus DSLR Lenses

http://photographylife.com/zeiss-make-autofocus-dslr-lenses

Steve,

both lines of argument concentrated of the DSLRs, almost completely neglecting the existence of Touits = they did appear, apparently with no only good optics, but also with quite passable AF'ing.

Thus, the arguing the licensing obstacles do not apply. And the Sony's E-mount primes longer than 55mm are so far failing to materialize !!

jpr2

It's little wonder that the Metabones adapters are selling so well! I guess Sony just assumed that everyone would just automatically adapt to Sony A-mount long lenses. Some did and some didn't.

the whole photo industry seems to be marching to nowhere !! day after day I'm checking various sites for news about Photokina 2014, and... all I find are items of no interest to me whatsoever: the Qx1, a new 4k video camcorder, Zeiss primes with no AF, endless iterations on the humpy-dumpy A7* theme, etc.

My GAS is dying, starved out of sheer boredom - I didn't buy any new photo item for ages, actually it feels like it is the whole Eternity!

On the Canon front also a total desert - no APS-C MILC with a built in EVF, and with AF worthy the name "fast focusing" !!

Nikon regurgitates the failed N1 2.7x design, so now it is what.... N3 already????

etc, etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sigh, arrrrrrrgh

jpr2

Dear frustrated jpr2:

Here's a suggestion because yes, the situation is getting boring....

A guy I have known for a few years just told me yesterday that he owns a collection of 21 motorcycles. Now these are not show bikes, apparently, but older daily driver types; lots chrome & heavy metal.

Maybe if you switched over to bikes, and away from cameras, your GAS attacks would be fed with more reliability!

Steve

Just a suggest

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Re: re: the whole industry seems to be marching to nowhere !!
1

the whole photo industry seems to be marching to nowhere !! day after day I'm checking various sites for news about Photokina 2014, and... all I find are items of no interest to me whatsoever: the Qx1, a new 4k video camcorder, Zeiss primes with no AF, endless iterations on the humpy-dumpy A7* theme, etc.

My GAS is dying, starved out of sheer boredom - I didn't buy any new photo item for ages, actually it feels like it is the whole Eternity!

On the Canon front also a total desert - no APS-C MILC with a built in EVF, and with AF worthy the name "fast focusing" !!

Nikon regurgitates the failed N1 2.7x design, so now it is what.... N3 already????

etc, etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sigh, arrrrrrrgh

jpr2

I agree with everything you just said. Bring on the next FF mirrorless camera design from Sony or bust. I will go get the 100mm macro from Canon and continue on my SLR journey for the next year.

 FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,812
Re: What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

FF Pro wrote:

the whole photo industry seems to be marching to nowhere !! day after day I'm checking various sites for news about Photokina 2014, and... all I find are items of no interest to me whatsoever: the Qx1, a new 4k video camcorder, Zeiss primes with no AF, endless iterations on the humpy-dumpy A7* theme, etc.

My GAS is dying, starved out of sheer boredom - I didn't buy any new photo item for ages, actually it feels like it is the whole Eternity!

On the Canon front also a total desert - no APS-C MILC with a built in EVF, and with AF worthy the name "fast focusing" !!

Nikon regurgitates the failed N1 2.7x design, so now it is what.... N3 already????

etc, etc, etc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sigh, arrrrrrrgh

jpr2

I agree with everything you just said. Bring on the next FF mirrorless camera design from Sony or bust. I will go get the 100mm macro from Canon and continue on my SLR journey for the next year.

The Nikon 1 V3 is a big step-up.

More Loxia stuff:

Zeiss finally announced the new Loxia lens series made for the Full Frame E-mount Sony a7 cameras. You can read the full press text at SonyAlphaRumors.com.

The worldide only preorders are now running at BHphoto:
Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* Lens for Sony E Mount (Click here).
Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar T* Lens for Sony E Mount (Click here).
Zeiss Lens Hood for Loxia 35mm f/2 Lens (Click here).
Zeiss Lens Hood for Loxia 50mm f/2 Lens (Click here).
Zeiss Rear Lens Cap for Loxia Series Lenses (Click here).
Zeiss De-Click Key for Loxia Lenses (Click here

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads