Do you think dropping an Olympus M5 on the sidewalk might affect the

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Questions
clear glass Contributing Member • Posts: 814
Do you think dropping an Olympus M5 on the sidewalk might affect the

body's seals against moisture?

It seems to have hit lens first (ouch! The glass in the filter broke and I can't get the empty filter ring off). The body had only a few small nicks on both sides of the bottom plate, no outside deformation of the skin I could see. Everything seems to work A OK, including autofocus.

But the seal against moisture is important to me. Is there any sign I should look for (besides taking it out in the rain and seeing if it self-destructs) that the seals are not functional?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,205
Re: Do you think dropping an Olympus M5 on the sidewalk might affect the

clear glass wrote:

It seems to have hit lens first (ouch! The glass in the filter broke and I can't get the empty filter ring off). The body had only a few small nicks on both sides of the bottom plate, no outside deformation of the skin I could see. Everything seems to work A OK, including autofocus.

But the seal against moisture is important to me. Is there any sign I should look for (besides taking it out in the rain and seeing if it self-destructs) that the seals are not functional?

I guess, the rubber seals are the last thing to be damaged. I would test, if there is no wobbling any where - this might indicate that the rubber seals don't have contact to the harder structure of the lens, which could produce leaks.

Did you make optical tests after the accident? I would be afraid that the calibration of the lenses might be affected. Even more so in complicated zoom lens like the 12-40/12-35 which I quess you were using.

But my 14-45 survived a hit like this as well as my 20, so you have good chances of still having a fully functional lens!

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,448

clear glass wrote:

I guess, the rubber seals are the last thing to be damaged. I would test, if there is no wobbling any where - this might indicate that the rubber seals don't have contact to the harder structure of the lens, which could produce leaks.

Did you make optical tests after the accident? I would be afraid that the calibration of the lenses might be affected. Even more so in complicated zoom lens like the 12-40/12-35 which I quess you were using.

But my 14-45 survived a hit like this as well as my 20, so you have good chances of still having a fully functional lens!

Peter.

My E-M5 with the 40-150 on it dropped from a cafe table onto a concrete floor, bouncing on a stone fondament on its way down. A few scrathes, that's all. Sorry about your filter and I hope you manage to remove the ring and that the thread isn't damaged.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,397

clear glass wrote:

If no obvious deformation, would there be any crack even if it would be a hair thin one? If no, probably you would be OK.

Sam in Hawaii Regular Member • Posts: 253

At first I thought this was a joke!  Apparently,the em5 is even tougher than I thought.  What next; "will driving  nails with my epm2 void the warrantee?"  "How high will a em10 bounce?"  "Guess what! My em1 floats!"

Jeff4500
Jeff4500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,693

Try heating the ring with a hair dry. Sounds counter intuitive but it has worked for me several times.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Billharr9 New Member • Posts: 15

Try a large rubber band around the stuck filter for extra grip.

Billharr9's gear list:Billharr9's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +8 more
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,448

Try heating the ring with a hair dry. Sounds counter intuitive but it has worked for me several times.

It might help but be very careful. The lens coatings are sensitive to heat. Try sone tool first like a poly-grip or the like and put something in between to avoid scratches.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads