HS50 Newbie

Started Aug 22, 2014 | Discussions
JDPhotography
JDPhotography Junior Member • Posts: 40
HS50 Newbie

Ok. I guess I'll start off saying I am a complete noob to this camera. (HS50exr) Before this camera I had (and still have) a Canon Elph 300HS which I love. A few months back I decided I wanted an upgrade and started looking into bridge cameras. I narrowed it down to the FZ200 and HS50. The HS50 won me over with the longer zoom and some other small things, along with a $50 dollar price difference. Anyway, I got the camera several weeks ago in June. I LOVE this thing. It is a huge upgrade (as I knew it would be) from my little Elph. Anyway, I've been taking pictures of everything from birds to the moon and landscapes and figured I'd make an account here and show y'all a few pictures and see if you had any tips as far as improving my skills. This is my first camera with real manual controls as far as shutter speed ISO and aperture so any advice is welcome. Here's a few pictures. ( I don't have any good editing software. I only have gimp and have no money so kinda limited as far as editing.)

I edited this picture a little. Just adjusted brightness and contrast a little. And cropped it a little I think.

No edit here. I used the"fantasy" setting on this picture.

No edit

No edit. Just the "fantasy" setting again.

No edit

No edit

Edited the brightness and Contrast

Edited brightness and contrast.

Edited brightness and contrast

This picture is a little blurry. No editing on this.

I'm also a little interested in astrophotography. I have heard this camera doesn't do well in that area. I know it is limited to 100 ISO at 30 sec exposure. If I stacked a lot of those would it be decent? what about higher iso with shorter shutter? I have tons of questions. Again, any advice would be great and I can't wait to get deeper into this hobby and learn more from you guys!

JDPhotography's gear list:JDPhotography's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: HS50 Newbie

Some really nice pictures- I love that Fantasy setting! I may have to try that lol.

For astrophotography, you'd need a tripod and use ISO 200 15 sec to avoid star trails and use Registax or CCD STACK or DSS STACKER.

And you might want to get the RR-80A remote or use the self timer.

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
thwim Regular Member • Posts: 168

Birds are the hardest to do.  I shoot mostly with the EXR because for me the other settings seem harder to master then the Panasonic FZ 100 I have.

-- hide signature --

DMC Fuji HS50/FZ 100 owner

thwim's gear list:thwim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony RX100 III
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 18,896
JDPhotography ...

... Hope you enjoy the camera.

A PDF of the settings I use is available if you wish to download it - HS50 and HS30 Settings

HS50 EXR Images (SOOC) from these settings and which will be added to over time - HS50 EXR Images

JDPhotography wrote:

Ok. I guess I'll start off saying I am a complete noob to this camera. (HS50exr) Before this camera I had (and still have) a Canon Elph 300HS which I love. A few months back I decided I wanted an upgrade and started looking into bridge cameras. I narrowed it down to the FZ200 and HS50. The HS50 won me over with the longer zoom and some other small things, along with a $50 dollar price difference. Anyway, I got the camera several weeks ago in June. I LOVE this thing. It is a huge upgrade (as I knew it would be) from my little Elph. Anyway, I've been taking pictures of everything from birds to the moon and landscapes and figured I'd make an account here and show y'all a few pictures and see if you had any tips as far as improving my skills. This is my first camera with real manual controls as far as shutter speed ISO and aperture so any advice is welcome. Here's a few pictures. ( I don't have any good editing software. I only have gimp and have no money so kinda limited as far as editing.)

I edited this picture a little. Just adjusted brightness and contrast a little. And cropped it a little I think.

No edit

No edit

No edit

I'm also a little interested in astrophotography. I have heard this camera doesn't do well in that area. I know it is limited to 100 ISO at 30 sec exposure. If I stacked a lot of those would it be decent? what about higher iso with shorter shutter? I have tons of questions. Again, any advice would be great and I can't wait to get deeper into this hobby and learn more from you guys!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

JDPhotography
OP JDPhotography Junior Member • Posts: 40

alexisgreat wrote:

Some really nice pictures- I love that Fantasy setting! I may have to try that lol.

For astrophotography, you'd need a tripod and use ISO 200 15 sec to avoid star trails and use Registax or CCD STACK or DSS STACKER.

And you might want to get the RR-80A remote or use the self timer.

Thank you! I found it by accident while playing with the camera. Went crazy and used it the whole rime after that. lol. What about "deep sky stacker"? Is Registax and the other ones better than it? I'm just using the self timer for now. I do have a tripod ( a cheap one ) and plan to buy a remote soon. Hopefully this next week.

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +1 more
JDPhotography

thwim wrote:

Birds are the hardest to do. I shoot mostly with the EXR because for me the other settings seem harder to master then the Panasonic FZ 100 I have.

-- hide signature --

DMC Fuji HS50/FZ 100 owner

What settings do you use? Any tips to keep the pics sharp?

alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

DSS is Deep Sky Stacker I use it and really like it.  Registax is really good too.  Both are free so you should try both.  Also, join the yahoo user groups for these programs and we can help you with whatever you need.  Join Cloudy Nights also.

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
JDPhotography

alexisgreat wrote:

DSS is Deep Sky Stacker I use it and really like it. Registax is really good too. Both are free so you should try both. Also, join the yahoo user groups for these programs and we can help you with whatever you need. Join Cloudy Nights also.

Oops. Totally missed that. lol   I'll have to try Registax. Do I have to have a yahoo account to join those groups?

Bill Donnell Senior Member • Posts: 1,025

If you would like a very good easy to use free editing program, download FastStone Image Viewer. It is much easier to use than gimp. I had gimp but found it not user friendly.

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D3200 +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,424
check this answer out from another (similar) thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54213541

JDPhotography wrote:

No edit

No edit

No edit

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads