E-M1 EBook Recommendation

Started Aug 22, 2014 | Discussions
markymark101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
E-M1 EBook Recommendation

GAS got the better of me and I purchased the E-M1. Coming from the E-M5, I think I could figure out most everything on my own. However, in my Sony DSLR days there was a guy who wrote very good ebooks on most all of the Sony cameras. His name is Gary Friedman. I found his books to be pretty good.

Since he pretty much only wrote books on Sony cameras, I was surprised to see he has one on the E-M1.

http://friedmanarchives.com/OlympusE-M1/index.htm

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Garry Schaefer Senior Member • Posts: 2,784
Re: E-M1 EBook Recommendation

I'm one purchaser of his book on the E-M1. I found it to be worthwhile, although quite a bit can also be picked up from the free guide on http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,521

I bought it and it is excellent.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
Chuck Eklund Contributing Member • Posts: 595

I am another pleased purchaser of Gary Friedman's book. For me, it is much more helpful than David Busch's book.

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
bs1946
bs1946 Senior Member • Posts: 4,713

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

I bought it and it is excellent.

I also bought the Friedman book to help me navigate all of the features on my E-M10. I was just going through chapter 2 last night. That chapter is an overview of all of the dials, levers, buttons, and the entire menu. It also includes Friedman's setting recommendations for many of the options. Except for the extra buttons and leavers on the E-M1, the E-M10 menus are almost identical to the E-M1. I bought this book before I found Supercharging the E-M10 by W.N. Green. The Green E-book is only available on iBooks. For us E-M10 owners, both books are an excellent reference resource. The advantage of the Friedman book is that I can use it on my iPhone as a reference in the field. The green book can only be viewed on an iPad or iMac.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
Digital film is cheap; shoot fast and shoot often!!!

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Rokinon 21mm F1.4 +1 more
cfh25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
+1 for Gary Friedman

Have seen both Gary Friedman's and David Busch's guides and the former is superior. If you buy the Kindle version you can download a full colour pdf file (and an epub version for other e-readers); plus Gary's "Tip Cards" - recommended settings for various situations in a handy format.

The printed version of David Busch's guide is far too heavy to be used as a field guide (400+ pages of coated paper); also has a number of errors - signs of being rushed into print

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads