The Girl from Planet X

Started Aug 21, 2014 | Discussions
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Veteran Member • Posts: 8,369
The Girl from Planet X

I had the opportunity to collaborate with a model and body paint artist over the past three months, putting together a concept for a shoot.

This was a sci-fi / steam punk themed look, with the model being painted to look like an automaton, and the location chosen to represent a twisted desolate alien wasteland.

All shot with the Fuji X-T1 and 23mm Lens - Lighting by Elinchrom using the excellent Quadra System.

The location was an area in SoCal that was recently destroyed by the terrible wildfires, and the whole shoot was done after sunset - so challenging logistically, working in near darkness.

I've done a full write-up on the project on F-Sunny.com, and included details on the set-up of the X-T1 for shutter-drag style shooting.

Although there is no nudity in the images, they would still be NSFW for most IT departments I'm sure, based on a first pass look.

Enjoy: http://f-sunny.com/the-girl-from-planet-x/

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +38 more
ashlynjoyce
ashlynjoyce Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: The Girl from Planet X

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I had the opportunity to collaborate with a model and body paint artist over the past three months, putting together a concept for a shoot.

This was a sci-fi / steam punk themed look, with the model being painted to look like an automaton, and the location chosen to represent a twisted desolate alien wasteland.

All shot with the Fuji X-T1 and 23mm Lens - Lighting by Elinchrom using the excellent Quadra System.

The location was an area in SoCal that was recently destroyed by the terrible wildfires, and the whole shoot was done after sunset - so challenging logistically, working in near darkness.

I've done a full write-up on the project on F-Sunny.com, and included details on the set-up of the X-T1 for shutter-drag style shooting.

Although there is no nudity in the images, they would still be NSFW for most IT departments I'm sure, based on a first pass look.

-- hide signature --

Wow! Those photographs  look great and I bet the shoot was equally fun!!

Really nice ice and thanks for the share !

-- hide signature --

Ashtyn
I heart Fuji.
www.ashtynjoyce.com

deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,054

Chris Dodkin wrote:

-- hide signature --

Not sure how to say this ... really. OK, my first thought was not to write anything at all. I have always enjoyed your photos, but have to say that the ones in your link leave me completely cold. 3 months of preparation?? One should at least acknowledge this work and time that has gone into this rather than criticize right??

OK, here is what I didn't like: The so-so body paint work on a lycra of whatever that is to make this R13 compatible I guess? You can see the knickers and the kind of body armour. That's fair enough, but I think there is a different approach to this without being voyeuristic. I asked myself: why do this at all?? Body paint and not paint the body? Is this a US thing?? 40.000+ killings per day on US TV but no nipple, because this is truly bad for you?? (I am exaggerating, of course, but this pretty much reflects as to how I felt when I looked at your photos...).

Didn't like the particular lighting you used, very unusual for you, maybe you were trying something a bit less subtle, but to me it looked like a first attempt. Since I KNOW you can do better I can only assume that you did this on purpose. If that was the case, then I am not seeing what you had intended here??

And then I didn't like any of the postures or facial expressions of your model.

I wish though that you had only gone out on the late afternoon and tried something new, rather than putting 3 months (I assume 100s of hours????) into this. Reminded me of Priscilla Queen of the Desert, some drag story ...

I hope you didn't mind me writing about my impressions, but I was truly shaking my head in disbelief when I looked at you images.

I am sure you will get a lot of thumbs up, but this time, sadly none from me!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
Chris Dodkin
OP Chris Dodkin Veteran Member • Posts: 8,369

Deed - glad you liked it!

Just to confirm, no lycra or body wear other than underwear and pasties.

The body paint was indeed painted on the body

Agree that this is very very different to my normal work - but that's part of the fun/challenge to do something completely different

Lighting make look different because of the reflective/metallic nature of the paint used - otherwise I'm using the same kit and set-up as normal.

No harm no foul - not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure

-- hide signature --

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +38 more
fatpixel Forum Member • Posts: 56

WOW. Those are incredible. I like it how you show us your set up.

Cheers for sharing Chris.

Kwick1 Contributing Member • Posts: 864

Fantastic work!

-- hide signature --
 Kwick1's gear list:Kwick1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +3 more
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

Love this Chris.  I like it when you give us a heads up to a new project you have just done, I head over to your site every time, so keep us informed.

-- hide signature --

[[[If I am commenting on your X trans photos, I consider it a shame there are a few users out there who say test charts keep them away from X trans, this then encompasses all photos like these, amazing but true.]]]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads