D810 Long Exposure white dots simple firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Started Aug 20, 2014 | Discussions
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,039
D810 Long Exposure white dots simple firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Rang Nikon Australia today and asked them about the "D810 Long Exposure white dots noise issue". They said to bring it in and they would fix it with a firmware update that takes less than 45 minutes. This firmware could not be implemented in the usual way over the internet and needed to be done in house, but no dismantling of the camera just a simple firmware update.

Anyway, I have had mine done, even though I did not see any issues with it previous to this but I thought I would get it done just to have peace of mind.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +18 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Airbus5466 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: D810 Long Exposure white dots simple firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

So did I - just a few minutes ago. They actually fixed it while I was waiting and I didn't even finished my Nikon mug coffee before the camera was updated. Apparently a very easy fix and no need for opening the camera in any way...

Didn't notice any faults before the update but just as Lance I decided to do it anyway.

Splendid service by Nikon anyway. I talked to a guy there, and he said that in his opinion the D810 is so different from the previous ones that it should be called D900 or something else. Df sales was really rocketing when they had a super deal on it during the summer but is otherwise kind of slow and a camara that Nikon doesn't expect to sell that much of. A nishe product. Volume is in the 4-digit cameras, no surprise. The Nikon guy said that pros that try the D810 tends to buy it and thus replaces their earlier D800/E. Nikon should have had another name on the camera to mark that it's not only minor changes this person said...

Maybe nothing new but anyway - never been to Nikon before.

Carerra
Carerra Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: D810 Long Exposure white dots simple firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

I have had to cancel my order because of this issue, as I'm getting it from China and i live in the UK, Digital Rev was reluctant to check the serial number of the camera before sending it too me, I cant take the risk at this price point, if the issue could of been fixed at a later date with a normal firmware I would of done it, but it seems this isn't the case, I'm so gutted to be honest I was so looking forward to the camera this week,

-- hide signature --

www.louisamore.com

Carerra's gear list:Carerra's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
bigpigbig Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

OK guys. There will be many here anxiously awaiting your impressions (and sample images if you'd be so kind) after the "fix".

I am only nervous as the camera is SO GOOD already, I might just leave "well enough" alone and not risk altering the camera to avoid what seems to be a very very minor defect that will almost certainly never be visible in a print.

Thank you.

Airbus5466 wrote:

So did I - just a few minutes ago. They actually fixed it while I was waiting and I didn't even finished my Nikon mug coffee before the camera was updated. Apparently a very easy fix and no need for opening the camera in any way...

Didn't notice any faults before the update but just as Lance I decided to do it anyway.

Splendid service by Nikon anyway. I talked to a guy there, and he said that in his opinion the D810 is so different from the previous ones that it should be called D900 or something else. Df sales was really rocketing when they had a super deal on it during the summer but is otherwise kind of slow and a camara that Nikon doesn't expect to sell that much of. A nishe product. Volume is in the 4-digit cameras, no surprise. The Nikon guy said that pros that try the D810 tends to buy it and thus replaces their earlier D800/E. Nikon should have had another name on the camera to mark that it's not only minor changes this person said...

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +12 more
Lance B
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,039

bigpigbig wrote:

OK guys. There will be many here anxiously awaiting your impressions (and sample images if you'd be so kind) after the "fix".

I am only nervous as the camera is SO GOOD already, I might just leave "well enough" alone and not risk altering the camera to avoid what seems to be a very very minor defect that will almost certainly never be visible in a print.

Thank you.

As I've said elsewhere, my D810 wasn't too bad without the update so, however, the firmware seems to have made it better. Here is the comparo of before and after using the same test methods for both.

Before "fix"

After "fix"

Airbus5466 wrote:

Didn't notice any faults before the update but just as Lance I decided to do it anyway.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +18 more
exRhodesian Contributing Member • Posts: 710

Thanks Lance for the info.

I took in my D810 + seven lenses to Nikon Pretoria yesterday for them to do the AF-Tuning + Lens Firmware Updates.

After reading your fix I've just emailed them asking if it's possible for them to run the fix as well.

Thanks,

Adrian

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874

Me too. Sent mine in yesterday.

I think it makes a change that Nikon is being proactive. Will use my D7100 for the next few weeks.

Brandon birder's gear list:Brandon birder's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
jonstatt Regular Member • Posts: 455

There really isn't much between them from the lens cap shots....but as I found its long exposure, dim shots rather than black frame that shows it up more....

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,034

Lance, couldn't see much difference on your examples.  I think I will hold off a while especially since I don't want to ship the camera off risking damage or lost camera in the process.  I only have one camera now.  If I don't see any white dots in any of my normal shooting subjects, then I may wait for several months at least.  I'm thinking its overkill for me personally.  I'm wondering if any of the authorized Nikon repair shops can do the firmware update?

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD +6 more
SereneMelancholia Junior Member • Posts: 39

larrywilson wrote:

Lance, couldn't see much difference on your examples. I think I will hold off a while especially since I don't want to ship the camera off risking damage or lost camera in the process. I only have one camera now. If I don't see any white dots in any of my normal shooting subjects, then I may wait for several months at least. I'm thinking its overkill for me personally. I'm wondering if any of the authorized Nikon repair shops can do the firmware update?

Larry

I agree with you here.  I have done several tests with mine and haven't been able to generate anything I would call an issue.  I have been using the camera for 3 weeks and it has worked flawlessly (other than operator error, of course).

At this point, the risks of sending the camera in certainly seem to outweigh the benefits, so I am going to hold off for now.

jonstatt Regular Member • Posts: 455

SereneMelancholia wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

Lance, couldn't see much difference on your examples. I think I will hold off a while especially since I don't want to ship the camera off risking damage or lost camera in the process. I only have one camera now. If I don't see any white dots in any of my normal shooting subjects, then I may wait for several months at least. I'm thinking its overkill for me personally. I'm wondering if any of the authorized Nikon repair shops can do the firmware update?

Larry

I agree with you here. I have done several tests with mine and haven't been able to generate anything I would call an issue. I have been using the camera for 3 weeks and it has worked flawlessly (other than operator error, of course).

At this point, the risks of sending the camera in certainly seem to outweigh the benefits, so I am going to hold off for now.

Nikon UK would require me leaving the camera with them it seems which is stupid for a 10 minute procedure. But I have found a very well renowned service centre in London called Fixation that know how to fix it but are just waiting for Nikon's approval to do it...they said they would do it while I waited. As this issue is so minor, I will wait for things to settle down a bit and do a "while you wait" fix on it. I most definitely will not start sending it off for a week or so!

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,974
New firmware version???

I'm surprised the first thing you posted after getting the camera back wasn't the firmware version now on your camera.  Can you report back on firmware version?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +34 more
AtomicPunk Regular Member • Posts: 343
Re: New firmware version???

michaeladawson wrote:

I'm surprised the first thing you posted after getting the camera back wasn't the firmware version now on your camera. Can you report back on firmware version?

Yes.  Im interested in this.  Also...it looks like a black frame lens cap test is not the best way to see if this issue is present.  Check some of the photos posted here that clearly show the defect and are not lens cap black frame photos.

IrGoofy Regular Member • Posts: 210

I don't even think this is a firmware update. I will wait till people provide proof of different version of firmware.

This probably a patch that supposed to apply to the camera by operators at the assembly line. However, a few cameras probably missed that patch. Maybe the techs were sleepy on that day?

If the patch supposed to be in that firmware version then there will not be any change in version number.

IrGoofy's gear list:IrGoofy's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +8 more
digital ed
digital ed Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553
Not just black frame

For my D810 the hot pixels can be seen at normal exposure levels and full frame. These pixels were not removed by multiple in camera sensor cleanings. My camera is at Nikon now so in a few days I will see if they are corrected by whatever Nikon is doing.

I want to emphasize that I do not need to do a black image testing to see them.

AtomicPunk wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

I'm surprised the first thing you posted after getting the camera back wasn't the firmware version now on your camera. Can you report back on firmware version?

Yes. Im interested in this. Also...it looks like a black frame lens cap test is not the best way to see if this issue is present. Check some of the photos posted here that clearly show the defect and are not lens cap black frame photos.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 +16 more
zippzopp17 Junior Member • Posts: 40

i noticed the white dots on mine while doing some long exposures with a 10 stop ND filter.  I live right near the service facility in Los Angeles.  I'm going to call in and see if I'm able to just drop in and get it fixed while I wait.

zippzopp17's gear list:zippzopp17's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
duttind Junior Member • Posts: 49
Is your Sl# still listed as an affected unit after the fix?

Just curious - can someone help confirm whether , after the fix :

1) the SL# still shows as 'affected' in Nikon's website

2) did they put the black dot?

duttind's gear list:duttind's gear list
Nikon D810
abcdefghijklmnop Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
Re: New firmware version???

michaeladawson wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1313344

Per above posting C 1.01

abcdefghijklmnop's gear list:abcdefghijklmnop's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
Richard Spangler Contributing Member • Posts: 915

zippzopp17 wrote:

i noticed the white dots on mine while doing some long exposures with a 10 stop ND filter. I live right near the service facility in Los Angeles. I'm going to call in and see if I'm able to just drop in and get it fixed while I wait.

Good luck getting their direct number. Might be best to stop by and see if they will do it. Please let us know what you find out. I live in SF but may drop by during my next visit to LA.

Ronald Hoppus Regular Member • Posts: 326

Please report back on your experience with this.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Ron

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads