Exposure with back button focus question

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions
trax87 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Exposure with back button focus question

So I have assigned focus to the AEL button on my A6000 and turned off the focus lock with shutter. Lets say, for example that I want to meter off one object and focus on another for some reason. Is there a way to do this? If I push the AEL button that will lock focus. I thought half depressing the shutter button while pointing the camera at the relevant subject I want to expose for would lock exposure, but as I move the camera around I notice that shutter speed and ISO change (in this example I am using Aperture priority).

Do I have to shoot in manual mode to lock the exposure in?

 trax87's gear list:trax87's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
santiclaws Senior Member • Posts: 1,109
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

The half-press on the shutter never locked exposure either, it only locked focus. Locking focus and locking exposure are two separate functions which have nothing to do with each other. If you want AEL, you either have to assign the back button focus to a different button and re-assign the AEL to the AEL button or assign AEL to some other button (I can't recall if this is possible, but should be).

Fred Briggs
Fred Briggs Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

trax87 wrote:

So I have assigned focus to the AEL button on my A6000 and turned off the focus lock with shutter. Lets say, for example that I want to meter off one object and focus on another for some reason. Is there a way to do this? If I push the AEL button that will lock focus. I thought half depressing the shutter button while pointing the camera at the relevant subject I want to expose for would lock exposure, but as I move the camera around I notice that shutter speed and ISO change (in this example I am using Aperture priority).

Do I have to shoot in manual mode to lock the exposure in?

I was surprised to find that holding a half press on the shutter button on the A6000 does not lock exposure, as I am sure this was standard behaviour on all the DSLRs I have used.

For the moment, to get around this I have set the C2 button to AEL toggle - and this shows a star on the display when exposure is locked, but would prefer to do this on the shutter button if it is possible.

In the past I would use this technique quite a lot in order alter the exposure without having to bother with exposure compensation  For example where a bright sky was getting burned out I would half press the shutter to lock exposure with the camera pointed up to put more sky in the frame, and then recompose. This would fool the camera into a reduced exposure, with highlights preserved, and I could then brighten the foreground in post processing.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

 Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
OP trax87 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

Thanks Fred and Santiclaws.  Seems I keep finding little things that I would expect to work a little differently than what it does.

My Canon point and shoot locks exposure with the shutter button -- but then I don't have a back button focus option.

 trax87's gear list:trax87's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Fred Briggs
Fred Briggs Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

trax87 wrote:

So I have assigned focus to the AEL button on my A6000 and turned off the focus lock with shutter. Lets say, for example that I want to meter off one object and focus on another for some reason. Is there a way to do this? If I push the AEL button that will lock focus. I thought half depressing the shutter button while pointing the camera at the relevant subject I want to expose for would lock exposure, but as I move the camera around I notice that shutter speed and ISO change (in this example I am using Aperture priority).

Do I have to shoot in manual mode to lock the exposure in?

Glad you posted this as it made me look at this again and I have now found the setting which is:

AEL with shutter - it was on Auto, I have now changed it to ON and it works as expected.

(screen 4 on the second menu tab)

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

 Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

trax87 wrote:

Thanks Fred and Santiclaws. Seems I keep finding little things that I would expect to work a little differently than what it does.

My Canon point and shoot locks exposure with the shutter button -- but then I don't have a back button focus option.

AEL w/Shutter is also customizable, can be Auto, On, or Off.

1. Auto – exposure is locked only when you’re in AF-S mode and focus has been confirmed (also when you’re in AF-A mode and the subject isn’t moving)

2. On – exposure is locked when you press and hold the shutter release button halfway

3. Off – never locks exposure with the shutter release button

(This from the Complete Guide to the Sony A6000.)

The answer to your difficulty is best as described by Fred.

-Ross

 Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +4 more
OP trax87 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

Fred Briggs wrote:

trax87 wrote:

So I have assigned focus to the AEL button on my A6000 and turned off the focus lock with shutter. Lets say, for example that I want to meter off one object and focus on another for some reason. Is there a way to do this? If I push the AEL button that will lock focus. I thought half depressing the shutter button while pointing the camera at the relevant subject I want to expose for would lock exposure, but as I move the camera around I notice that shutter speed and ISO change (in this example I am using Aperture priority).

Do I have to shoot in manual mode to lock the exposure in?

Glad you posted this as it made me look at this again and I have now found the setting which is:

AEL with shutter - it was on Auto, I have now changed it to ON and it works as expected.

(screen 4 on the second menu tab)

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Thanks!

 trax87's gear list:trax87's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
OP trax87 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

Ross Warner wrote:

trax87 wrote:

Thanks Fred and Santiclaws. Seems I keep finding little things that I would expect to work a little differently than what it does.

My Canon point and shoot locks exposure with the shutter button -- but then I don't have a back button focus option.

AEL w/Shutter is also customizable, can be Auto, On, or Off.

1. Auto – exposure is locked only when you’re in AF-S mode and focus has been confirmed (also when you’re in AF-A mode and the subject isn’t moving)

2. On – exposure is locked when you press and hold the shutter release button halfway

3. Off – never locks exposure with the shutter release button

(This from the Complete Guide to the Sony A6000.)

The answer to your difficulty is best as described by Fred.

-Ross

Thanks, Ross.  I actually have your/Gary's book.  There is so much information, sometimes I miss some things :-).

 trax87's gear list:trax87's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Re: Exposure with back button focus question

trax87 wrote:

Ross Warner wrote:

trax87 wrote:

Thanks Fred and Santiclaws. Seems I keep finding little things that I would expect to work a little differently than what it does.

My Canon point and shoot locks exposure with the shutter button -- but then I don't have a back button focus option.

AEL w/Shutter is also customizable, can be Auto, On, or Off.

1. Auto – exposure is locked only when you’re in AF-S mode and focus has been confirmed (also when you’re in AF-A mode and the subject isn’t moving)

2. On – exposure is locked when you press and hold the shutter release button halfway

3. Off – never locks exposure with the shutter release button

(This from the Complete Guide to the Sony A6000.)

The answer to your difficulty is best as described by Fred.

-Ross

Thanks, Ross. I actually have your/Gary's book. There is so much information, sometimes I miss some things :-).

In the PDF, I always use Cmd-F (find) on my Mac!

-Ross

 Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +4 more
wb2trf Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
This is wrong

santiclaws wrote:

The half-press on the shutter never locked exposure either, it only locked focus. Locking focus and locking exposure are two separate functions which have nothing to do with each other. If you want AEL, you either have to assign the back button focus to a different button and re-assign the AEL to the AEL button or assign AEL to some other button (I can't recall if this is possible, but should be).

No offense intended, but lets be clear for future readers that this is wrong.

The default setting is Auto lock on half depress, which means that in AF-S or AF-A with stationary subject, exposure is locked. In AF-C with a moving subject or in burst shooting Auto results in no lock.

The option to set it "On" means that it is locked on half-depress.

Off takes it off the half depress and allows you to assign exposure lock, in many varying ways, to another button, such as AEL, for example.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads