Pulling stills from 4K video in FZ1000 vs g4h vs full frame

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions
HellAn New Member • Posts: 8
Pulling stills from 4K video in FZ1000 vs g4h vs full frame

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but I read you for years.

I am wondering which camera in best for pulling still frames: FZ1000 vs g4h vs a full frame camera . I am particularly interested in the 4K stills pulled out from FZ1000 and g4h (which one is best).

Based on the fact that both camera gives us a 8MP still frame (from 4K video), we should take into consideration the size of pixels (in microns). So if gh4 have 16mp in a 4/3 sensor this means a 80% bigger pixel size than fz1000 pixels (20mp in an 1'' sensor). So the stills from 4K video in the gh4 in comparison with 4K still frames of fz1000 4K video should be substantial better (because the pixels in gh4 are almost  80% bigger).

Am I right?

And If I am right then maybe (based on "line skipping" procedures of sensors and sensor size in microns) the stills pulled out from a Full HD video of a FF camera like D4s (with pixels as big as 7 or 8 microns) is almost of the same quality as the one from stills pulled out from 4K video of gh4?

Am I thinking correctly?

My obvious purpose is to find which camera is best only for pulling still frames from video.

Nikon D4S Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,938
Re: Pulling stills from 4K video in FZ1000 vs g4h vs full frame

There are far more factors in IQ than pixel size in microns.

It is not very easy to use video to make photos. Compression is worse than photo JPEGs and video related shutter speed is normally leading to too much motion blur.

With my GH4 photos from 4k video are much worse than actual photos developed from RAW. 4k crops sensor in GH4 and  even more in FZ1000 so no wide photos from 4k video.

But still I think that GH4 is the best camera to make 8Mpixel photos from video. Sony A4s may be better but it needs an external recorder.

Spectre38
Spectre38 Regular Member • Posts: 466

On my G6 there is an option for Still or Video priority.

If it is video, you get continuous video, and a still at a lower res.

If it is Still, the video will pause for a second while it records a full size image.

I haven't tried it on this camera, but on another camera I have, the pause displays the still image being recorded for a second, so it has kind of an artistic freeze frame effect, which isn't bad if you want to emphasize that image.

Depending on the grade of SD card, and if you are recording RAW, if you have a pro card the pause will be shorter, or if you are recording RAW, on a standard SD card, it would probably pause for 3-5 seconds.

Spectre38's gear list:Spectre38's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +4 more
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,682

HellAn wrote:

Hi there,

I am wondering which camera in best for pulling still frames: FZ1000 vs g4h vs a full frame camera . I am particularly interested in the 4K stills pulled out from FZ1000 and g4h (which one is best).

Based on the fact that both camera gives us a 8MP still frame (from 4K video), we should take into consideration the size of pixels (in microns). So if gh4 have 16mp in a 4/3 sensor this means a 80% bigger pixel size than fz1000 pixels (20mp in an 1'' sensor). So the stills from 4K video in the gh4 in comparison with 4K still frames of fz1000 4K video should be substantial better (because the pixels in gh4 are almost 80% bigger).

Am I right?

And If I am right then maybe (based on "line skipping" procedures of sensors and sensor size in microns) the stills pulled out from a Full HD video of a FF camera like D4s (with pixels as big as 7 or 8 microns) is almost of the same quality as the one from stills pulled out from 4K video of gh4?

Am I thinking correctly?

My obvious purpose is to find which camera is best only for pulling still frames from video.

There are many things to think about. For instance the shutter speed, which if the video is to be smooth, often is to long for a sharp frame grab.

OP HellAn New Member • Posts: 8

PerL wrote:

HellAn wrote:

Hi there,

Based on the fact that both camera gives us a 8MP still frame (from 4K video), we should take into consideration the size of pixels (in microns). So if gh4 have 16mp in a 4/3 sensor this means a 80% bigger pixel size than fz1000 pixels (20mp in an 1'' sensor). So the stills from 4K video in the gh4 in comparison with 4K still frames of fz1000 4K video should be substantial better (because the pixels in gh4 are almost 80% bigger).

Am I right?

Am I thinking correctly?

There are many things to think about. For instance the shutter speed, which if the video is to be smooth, often is to long for a sharp frame grab.

I usually go up to 1/100 and I am ok for the type of the events I shoot. I don't have other way to shoot video. It's only this method (pull stills from video with a D800) or no video/no photos.

Vesku wrote:

There are far more factors in IQ than pixel size in microns.

It is not very easy to use video to make photos. Compression is worse than photo JPEGs and video related shutter speed is normally leading to too much motion blur.

With my GH4 photos from 4k video are much worse than actual photos developed from RAW. 4k crops sensor in GH4 and even more in FZ1000 so no wide photos from 4k video.

But still I think that GH4 is the best camera to make 8Mpixel photos from video. Sony A4s may be better but it needs an external recorder.

Of course the 75MB RAWs of my Nikon D800 give me great photographs. I understand the limitations of this big compromise.

Having said that I wonder if the 8MP of 4K stills from gh4 will be like a 1/2,5' sensor compact photos or better than that.

Basically I don't understand what criterion I should consider to choose from for that purpose (pull stills from video).

Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,938

Here is one frame from 4k GH4 video. It is recompressed with Photoshop JPG quality 11. Original is very little cleaner.

GH4 frame from 4k video

Vesku wrote:

Here is one frame from 4k GH4 video. It is recompressed with Photoshop JPG quality 11. Original is very little cleaner.

GH4 frame from 4k video

Thanks! It's not that bad for a video frame I guess...

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

This comparison might be helpful: http://www.eoshd.com/content/12445/panasonic-gh4-4k-production-diary-day-3-shootout

You can see in the sample shots that the GH4 4K output is considerably crisper than the other options.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more

Promit wrote:

This comparison might be helpful: http://www.eoshd.com/content/12445/panasonic-gh4-4k-production-diary-day-3-shootout

You can see in the sample shots that the GH4 4K output is considerably crisper than the other options.

Great review.

Comment #27 says about the upscaling of all the other images, because upscaling everything else to 4K (for the test comparison) is in favour of the GH4.

At 3.17 minute of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV8heOM3XKI  they are doing the opposite by downscaling 4K of gh4 to 1080 to match the others, and this is still in favor of gh4.

Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Senior Member • Posts: 4,183

As others have said, there is far more to video than the sensor, somewhat in contrast to how stills work. Video has codecs and compression, so some of the best stills cameras in the world end up recording horrible video and thus horrible video still captures. Panasonic is well known for outstanding video resolutions regardless of the sensor size, and there isn't much that will beat the GH4 in pure IQ until ISO gets high. In high ISO i would say the A7s will be better, at lower ISO the GH4 is king.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

Ontario Gone wrote:

As others have said, there is far more to video than the sensor, somewhat in contrast to how stills work. Video has codecs and compression, so some of the best stills cameras in the world end up recording horrible video and thus horrible video still captures. Panasonic is well known for outstanding video resolutions regardless of the sensor size, and there isn't much that will beat the GH4 in pure IQ until ISO gets high. In high ISO i would say the A7s will be better, at lower ISO the GH4 is king.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

All other factors being equal the difference between gh4 and fz1000 may be only the size of the pixels: 3.74 µm for gh4 and 2.4 µm for FZ1000 (54% bigger in gh4). Logically this should have a great difference in IQ.

Unless the FZ1000 does something else like biding pixel together in order to take advantage of its higher pixel density (not very likely).

Jeff Tokayer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278
Check out this thread
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,342
Another one

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Here

here is another one:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54209158

Look at it in full size.  I think this is quite impressive detail for any camera.

Re: Check out this thread

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Here

Thanks!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads