New RX10 questions . . .

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Questions
ddan Contributing Member • Posts: 720
New RX10 questions . . .

Can someone explain the differences in the (2) auto exposure modes? Also when I hit the function button I get the boxes where settings can be changed; how do I get to the second set of boxes? Taking a printed manual to Sequoia next week to read under the trees.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,100
I have the camera but can't answer these questions off the top of my head.

I have the camera but can't answer your 2 questions off the top of my head. It's my favorite camera but have a couple of others to learn before an upcoming trip. However, my question is which manual are you referring to. Anything that I have seen from Sony was inadequate.

I bought the $10 Alexander White book in April and it proved far better than anything else out there. A really, time-consuming and thorough search on this forum and Google would also probably get provide some further insight.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +6 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 13,672
Re: New RX10 questions . . .

ddan wrote:

Can someone explain the differences in the (2) auto exposure modes? Also when I hit the function button I get the boxes where settings can be changed; how do I get to the second set of boxes? Taking a printed manual to Sequoia next week to read under the trees.

basically, it is all about the camera recognizing something:

it's pre-programmed scenes and it uses those settings (named iAuto or Intelligent Auto).

Or, recognizing difficult conditions and using one of it's multi-shot or high noise reduction modes (named either iAuto+ or Superior Auto). Superior Auto is definitely not for motion.

Intelligent Auto

The product analyzes the subject, and allows you to shoot with appropriate settings.

1. Set the mode dial to (Auto Mode).

2. MENU → (Camera Settings) → [Auto Mode] →[Intelligent Auto].

􀀀m When [Mode Dial Guide] is set to [On], you can select the desired settings after you

have changed the position of the mode dial.

3. Point the camera to the subject.

When the camera recognized the scene, the icon for the recognized scene appears on the screen.

4. Adjust the focus and shoot the image.

Note

● The product will not recognize the scene when you shoot images with zoom functions other

than optical zoom.

● The product may not properly recognize these scenes under some shooting conditions.

Superior Auto

The product automatically recognizes and evaluates the shooting conditions, and the

appropriate settings are set automatically.

The product may shoot multiple images and create a composite image, etc., using more

shooting settings than in Intelligent Auto mode to record higher quality images.

1. Set the mode dial to (Auto Mode).

2. MENU → (Camera Settings) → [Auto Mode] → [Superior Auto].

􀀀m When [Mode Dial Guide] is set to [On], you can select the desired settings after you

have changed the position of the mode dial.

3. Point the camera to the subject.

When the camera recognizes a scene, the scene recognition icon appears on the screen.

If necessary, (overlay icon) may appear.

4. Adjust the focus and shoot the image.

Note

● When the product is used to create composite images, the recording process takes longer

than usual.

● The product will not recognize the scene when you use zoom functions other than optical zoom.

● The product may not properly recognize a scene under some shooting conditions.

● When [ Quality] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG], the product cannot create a

composite image.

As for manuals, Sony has a 476 page pdf, I went thru it, skipped what I already knew, learned a good bit about the camera. Didn't take as ong as you might think. Some, I just noted page #s so I could find stuff later if needed. Forget printing it.

Oh Boy, it's been shortened to 422 pages!!

https://docs.sony.com/release/DSCRX10_guide_EN.pdf

Ed form, our Knighted Saint, made a wonderful version, got 476 pages down to 176 pages, with an index.

http://www.theformsonline.com/RX10/DSC-RX10-Manual.pdf

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III +1 more
OP ddan Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Re: I have the camera but can't answer these questions off the top of my head.

Corkcampbell,

this is the manual I sent the PM about;

http://www.theformsonline.com/RX10/DSC-RX10-Manual.pdf

Re: I have the camera but can't answer these questions off the top of my head.

89 pages with duplex printing and Office Depot will spiral bind with heavy plastic covers for about $8usd.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 1,402

There isn't a second set of boxes. You choose the twelve you want fast access to through the Fn button in the Custom menu then everything else is either assigned to a spare button or accessed via the menus.

The  Sony manual you have, although Ed Form beat it into a sensible format, still isn't very good and spending the small amount on Alex White's book is strongly recommended.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
edform
edform Senior Member • Posts: 3,588

Snapsh0t wrote:

There isn't a second set of boxes. You choose the twelve you want fast access to through the Fn button in the Custom menu then everything else is either assigned to a spare button or accessed via the menus.

The Sony manual you have, although Ed Form beat it into a sensible format, still isn't very good and spending the small amount on Alex White's book is strongly recommended.

As the poor fool who beat Sony's pathetic online manual into a sensible format, I agree with Snapsh0t, the Alexander S White book is worth its weight in gold.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Ordered the book yesterday . . . . . .

Going to Sequoia Nat'l Park next week to see what I can do with this camera. Coming from a Minolta A2, A200 and Canon G12, I will have to get used to the size/weight of the RX10. It has been 10+ years since I carried a camera this big.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 1,402
Re: Ordered the book yesterday . . . . . .

I have to admit I'm a bit biased about Alex White's book as it has my name in it (I was one of the proofreaders) but it is very thorough.

Ones perception of the size of the RX10 depends entirely on where one is coming from. For me, I picked up my D7100 and Sigma 50-150mm after a couple of weeks holiday with the RX10 and said "<expletive deleted> me, is that heavy>". It quite reminded me why I bought the RX10.....

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
Hoddle Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Ordered the book yesterday . . . . . .

ddan wrote:

Going to Sequoia Nat'l Park next week to see what I can do with this camera. Coming from a Minolta A2, A200 and Canon G12, I will have to get used to the size/weight of the RX10. It has been 10+ years since I carried a camera this big.

It's all relative.

I used to carry a DSLR with two lenses.

The convenience (i.e. less weight/bulk/stuffing around) of the RX-10 is a great attraction.

Hoddle's gear list:Hoddle's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 31,329

ddan wrote:

Some sequoia shots from last month RX10 All HDR Manually done

http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/20140710_sequoia

http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/20140711_sequoia

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads