sony a6000 or d5300 - photos with my child

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions
techiecool Regular Member • Posts: 427
sony a6000 or d5300 - photos with my child

hi all,

i'm working on deciding which camera. i know what i'm using it for mainly. That being photos/videos of my 1 year old who is increasingly not sitting still. for low light i'm assuming a prime will help. i'd look at acquire a wide angle (10-24 ish), something close to a 16mm, and 35mm. i don't need reach now nor do i like that many zooms, but i might get something inexpensive just to have. my budget is $1600-1700(ish).

my research here tells me the a6000 might be the way to go..only with potentially not having as many lens options. but i think there are enough to pick from to fill my needs. i dont see myself collecting more lenses than the above for a foreseeable future.

Nikon D5300 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322
Re: sony a6000 or d5300 - photos with my child

They are both good cameras, but they are very different in a lot of ways. I would choose based on how they feel in your hands and how you like using them rather than on any differences in image quality. You seem to have pretty much made up your mind already that you want the a6000.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
OP techiecool Regular Member • Posts: 427

Might be true. I've held both and had a chance to see them both. The a6000 on the surface might have better child friendly features but my friend w his 5300 and 35mm had some fantastic shots.

I have a D5200 and a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM that I find to be a great combination for shooting children. I have the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G, but since I got the 17-50 f/2.8 I almost never use the 35. I've handled the a6000 and I don't like it, but that's me. You can be totally different.

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more

How is shooting video on the 5300. can you use liveview?

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837

With a little kid I would consider what is practical. In and around the house a dslr is fine but out on a trip or visit a smaller camera imho is a better choice. Just make sure you can get those lenses you think you need.

Shooting a wider angle you get part of the environment in the frame as well and imho is far more interesting than portrait after portrait.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more

Thanks Mike. That's why I think I'm here validating my gut/estimation to go with the a6000. i want to take the camera with me. I would get one UWA and a prime. i don't shoot anything far away. i might pick up something slower for a long range zoom just to have one. the a6000 w touch screen (a5100 though missing the EVF)...would have made it a no brainer.

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

With your budget and goals, I would definitely consider a Canon 70D. Even with its STM kit lens it offers outstanding image quality. It has great auto focus during video. The STM lenses offer smooth an silent focusing during video, giving you professional looking results.

Here's a video fellow DPR member Englishman made of his kids shortly after he purchased his 70D.

A Day at the Pumpkin Patch

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.
All images are used for educational purposes.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
noflashplease Senior Member • Posts: 2,490

techiecool wrote:

hi all,

i'm working on deciding which camera. i know what i'm using it for mainly. That being photos/videos of my 1 year old who is increasingly not sitting still. for low light i'm assuming a prime will help. i'd look at acquire a wide angle (10-24 ish), something close to a 16mm, and 35mm. i don't need reach now nor do i like that many zooms, but i might get something inexpensive just to have. my budget is $1600-1700(ish).

my research here tells me the a6000 might be the way to go..only with potentially not having as many lens options. but i think there are enough to pick from to fill my needs. i dont see myself collecting more lenses than the above for a foreseeable future.

If you want a wide angle in your budget, the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM is the only decent choice on the market.  At $299, it's a brilliant value and only decent option short of a $1,200 professional quality lens.  From there, you have to consider if you want the 70D or SL1.

at this point i'm not looking at canon.

Mr Ed M Contributing Member • Posts: 508

techiecool wrote:

Unless you have a specific reason, like you know someone who can loan you Nikon or Sony lenses, it is probably a mistake not to look at Canon.

Mr Ed M's gear list:Mr Ed M's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more

techiecool wrote:

In that case, your wide angle choices are between a $750 Sony 10-18mm and Nikon 10-24 for $800. Now you know why the sub-$300 Canon lens is so compelling. It is hands down superior to the Sony and Nikon crop sensor options at a fraction of the price.

Truth be known, I'm thinking about a full frame Nikon body and the Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR.

from everything i read it seems that the 70d sensor isn't as good as the a6000/d5300 though. it also seems to be much larger than a mirrorless like the a6000

TTMartin

techiecool wrote:

from everything i read it seems that the 70d sensor isn't as good as the a6000/d5300 though. it also seems to be much larger than a mirrorless like the a6000

There is very little difference in real world usage between any sensors of the same size. A6000 / D5300 / 70D all use an APS-C sized sensor. DxOMark is the most referenced testing site when it comes to sensor performance. DxOMark takes small differences in tests, and using their scoring system makes them seem like big differences in performance. They are not. They also weight somethings they measure much more heavily than others. What they chose to weight heavily may not be important to you at all.

So how much difference on a per pixel basis is there in the DxOMark measurements of the sensors on the two cameras you are considering and the Canon 70D?

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Almost every other thing you can think of (lens, focus, photographer, ergonomics, etc) will make more of a difference in your photos than the small differences in sensors or megapixels.

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.

Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more

TTMartin wrote:

techiecool wrote:

There is very little difference in real world usage between any sensors of the same size. A6000 / D5300 / 70D all use an APS-C sized sensor. DxOMark is the most referenced testing site when it comes to sensor performance. DxOMark takes small differences in tests, and using their scoring system makes them seem like big differences in performance. They are not. They also weight somethings they measure much more heavily than others. What they chose to weight heavily may not be important to you at all.

So how much difference on a per pixel basis is there in the DxOMark measurements of the sensors on the two cameras you are considering and the Canon 70D?

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Almost every other thing you can think of (lens, focus, photographer, ergonomics, etc) will make more of a difference in your photos than the small differences in sensors or megapixels.

I would argue that DXOMark is very much relevant as it represents a baseline for comparison.  Yes, the Nikon D5300, and cheaper D3300, are superior in image quality for stills.  Canon is definitely behind when it comes to sensor technology, at least in terms of conventional IQ, which is something DXOMark can easily measure.

Where the 70D shines is in video quality and live view autofocus.  Canon's Dual Pixel autofocus is a gamechanger for DSLR video and the stepper motor lenses are the wave of the future.  Throw in the very convincing new 10-18mm lens and I have a hard time arguing against the 70D.

Canon's been concentrating on a cutting edge autofocus system and video-centric lenses.  Nikon has been buying top notch sensors from Sony.  It all comes down to priorities.  For my money, that amazing $300 Canon 10-18mm lens is the main draw.  Of course, I'm still not buying yet.

TTMartin

noflashplease wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

techiecool wrote:

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

I would argue that DXOMark is very much relevant as it represents a baseline for comparison. Yes, the Nikon D5300, and cheaper D3300, are superior in image quality for stills. Canon is definitely behind when it comes to sensor technology, at least in terms of conventional IQ, which is something DXOMark can easily measure.

The statement that Canon is behind in conventional IQ and that DxOMark measures that couldn't be further from the truth. Where did you come up with that?

DxOMark measurements show that Canon cameras have less dynamic range at lower ISOs.

If you shoot at ISO 800 or above there is no difference in dynamic range.

If you shoot a scene that has less than 11 stops of dynamic range, which is by far the vast majority of shots, the difference in dynamic range has no impact.

DxOMark does not measure image quality!

Where the 70D shines is in video quality and live view autofocus. Canon's Dual Pixel autofocus is a gamechanger for DSLR video and the stepper motor lenses are the wave of the future. Throw in the very convincing new 10-18mm lens and I have a hard time arguing against the 70D.

Canon's been concentrating on a cutting edge autofocus system and video-centric lenses. Nikon has been buying top notch sensors from Sony. It all comes down to priorities. For my money, that amazing $300 Canon 10-18mm lens is the main draw. Of course, I'm still not buying yet.

-- hide signature --

techiecool wrote:

How is shooting video on the 5300. can you use liveview?

Sorry, I never shoot video. I do sometimes use live view with my D5200 for stills and it works well.

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837

This is more a debate about formfactor and lens availability and far less about sensors imho.

The camera I like and use the most at the moment is the one with the oldest sensor.

What you like and carry with you you will use and that is the point.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more

Truthfully fair point. I think we had a 450d at one point and it stayed home. So the a6000 appeals for that reason. But looking into lens options - yes the 70d makes a lot of sense, but wow that's a massive camera.

Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,664

techiecool wrote:

hi all,

Buy the one you really like, keeping in mind the need for easy high quality video.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads