Panasonic Leica 6.5mm f2.8 Ultrawide prime lens

Started Aug 14, 2014 | Discussions
nikclick Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Panasonic Leica 6.5mm f2.8 Ultrawide prime lens

Just do it already Panasonic!

Or even go 6mm

Pic Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: Panasonic Leica 6.5mm f2.8 Ultrawide prime lens

That maybe a little too wide and I think the lens would have to be quite large with that aperture and width. It also wouldn't have filter threads. I think I would prefer a compact but razor sharp 8mm f4 lens.

OP nikclick Contributing Member • Posts: 796

8mm f4 sounds ok as well, but I always use the 7mm at 7mm, and a lot at f4.

Low light and fast shutter speeds mean f2.4 would be great.

Filters should be  drop or screw in filter on the back of the lens.

MAubrey
MAubrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

Pic Man wrote:

That maybe a little too wide and I think the lens would have to be quite large with that aperture and width. It also wouldn't have filter threads. I think I would prefer a compact but razor sharp 8mm f4 lens.

I think my Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 makes spectacular photos on my Sony A7. A 6.5mm would look pretty awesome on μ43. But even still, I'd sooner have a prime that's fast. The recent APS-C 12mm f/2 from Rokinon would is compact and magnificent. I wouldn't mind seeing a 9mm f/2 for μ43 someday.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +2 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,230

nikclick wrote:

Filters should be drop or screw in filter on the back of the lens.

2.8/10 sounds even better for my needs. And I have no need in filters

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
bimmerman Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
I have a Sigma 8-16 for Nikon DX I was trying to sell...

Hmmm... You've just given me an idea. Maybe I'll get a Nikon to u43 adaptor and give it a shot.

s_grins wrote:

nikclick wrote:

10mm f2.8 sounds ok, but I think MFT needs something to blow away everyone, a lens that just say "this format is NOT boring". Gimme something mental! A Crazy fast wide angle would really make a lot of noise.

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,230

nikclick wrote:

s_grins wrote:

nikclick wrote:

10mm f2.8 sounds ok, but I think MFT needs something to blow away everyone, a lens that just say "this format is NOT boring". Gimme something mental! A Crazy fast wide angle would really make a lot of noise.

Here is the difference: you want to be proud, I want to be reasonable

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
broody Contributing Member • Posts: 674

Pic Man wrote:

I think my Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 makes spectacular photos on my Sony A7. A 6.5mm would look pretty awesome on μ43. But even still, I'd sooner have a prime that's fast. The recent APS-C 12mm f/2 from Rokinon would is compact and magnificent. I wouldn't mind seeing a 9mm f/2 for μ43 someday.

According to the rumor mill, a pro 9mm 1.8 is in the works from Olympus.

broody's gear list:broody's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more

s_grins wrote:

nikclick wrote:

s_grins wrote:

nikclick wrote:

Here is the difference: you want to be proud, I want to be reasonable

I don't care about being proud!

I just think some 'crazy' lenses would be good for the system, and fun for those that want it.

10mm is a bit dull. A few lenses cover 10mm already, and for me, that isn't wide enough. For sure, a prime like that would be a good addition to the range, although I'd argue that 7 or 8mm would be better - it is easy to crop for 10mm, you can't expand 10mm to 7mm though!

Still, 6mm or 6.5mm prime would be awesome. If they can make a 7mm f4 that is still quite small, and a 8mm f3.5 fisheye that is very small, I am sure they can make a 6.5mm f2.8 that is still within the bounds of reality.

PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,770

Ahhhhhh, dream on, posters!

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more

Panasonic are working on it now.

That was quick!

Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,162
Makes no sense

The Leica lens with the widest AoV is the 16-18-21mm f/4 Tri-Elmar (people call it three primes because Leica would never stoop so low as to design a zoom lens, but it's really a 1.3x zoom that has three click-stops in order to deal with the kludge that is a rangefinder's frame lines and calibration with the rangefinder cam), and you have to go with Voigtländer if you want wider.

I seriously doubt Leica would brand a Panasonic 13mm equivalent lens when they don't even have their own 13mm equivalent lens.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +3 more
uRebel Rob Senior Member • Posts: 1,517
Re: I have a Sigma 8-16 for Nikon DX ...

bimmerman wrote:

Hmmm... You've just given me an idea. Maybe I'll get a Nikon to u43 adaptor and give it a shot.

I have that lens too. I've wanted to get a focus reducer for it since I got my GX7, but even with a plain adapter, it's wider than the oly 9-18. But image the 6-12mm 3.5-4.0 it would be with a FR!

I'm more likely to buy the 7.5 FE before the FR, though. That 8-16 is huge for m43.

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Nikon D5100 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads