Previewing Panasonic G5 RAW files in Lightroom vs Windows: Windows shows more detail?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Questions
Jonathan Michael Johnson New Member • Posts: 15
Previewing Panasonic G5 RAW files in Lightroom vs Windows: Windows shows more detail?

Maybe someone can help me make sense of this.

When I preview my raw files in Windows photo viewer (using the MS Camera Codec Pack), there's a fair amount of image information on the edges that is not making it's way into LR/ACR. I checked and have no import presets applied and lens correction options are not enabled.  But the image is definitely cropped compared to the Windows preview.  However, they both show the same resolution.

I thought setting the aspect ratio on the G5 at 4:3 captured the largest sensor area and I would be sacrificing the least amount of data. Somehow Windows can view more data on these raw files. I tested a few. In both LR and ACR via Photoshop CC.  Results consistent.

I want to get to this data! Anyone know why LR/ACR isn't letting me get to it?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
d3xmeister Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291
Re: Previewing Panasonic G5 RAW files in Lightroom vs Windows: Windows shows more detail?

My guess is, at 14mm Lightroom is applying lens distortion correction and windows does not. You cannot control this in LR.

Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Previewing Panasonic G5 RAW files in Lightroom vs Windows: Windows shows more detail?

Jonathan Michael Johnson wrote:

I checked and have no import presets applied and lens correction options are not enabled.

I want to get to this data! Anyone know why LR/ACR isn't letting me get to it?

Adobe performs corrections automatically for raw files that contain lens correction data (this includes all m43 cameras). There is no way to disable this or retrieve the parts of the image trimmed off during corrections. If you want the full image, you need to use different software.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
OP Jonathan Michael Johnson New Member • Posts: 15

Thanks Randy -

I thought there might be a way to modify the RW2 so Lightroom ignores the lens correction instructions.  I've found EXIFTOOL and thought that might help but haven't found the right code - lot of command line options...

Has anyone solved this?

I used Dx0 Optics to import the RW2 files into lightroom as DNGs and I think I'm keeping all the image data I can.  By unchecking 'keep aspect ratio' in Dx0 distortion correction, I get a bit more of the frame.  Maybe this is why I'm not all that impressed w/ my compositions lately.  It makes a pretty big difference.  Here is an example - and the Dx0 correction is significantly better than LR for barrel distortion- this was captured on a 7-14mm at 7mm:

Lightroom Processed RW2

Lightroom Processed after lens distortion correction via Dx0 export to DNG

Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

Yep as others have said LR applies distortion correction. Many photo editors don't (for example some based on DCRAW) Some others don't correct unless you want them to (I think Aftershot gives the option, at least V1 and it's children) Sometimes lens correction doesn't matter so much, say in some landscapes, and it's  nice to gain a little width.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
The Joker: Why so serious?

kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,354

Maybe this is why I'm not all that impressed w/ my compositions lately.

Well then you are doing a bad job composing with the camera at the time of shooting. What LR is showing you is exactly what appeared in your EVF/LCD on the camera when you composed the shot. The LR corrections and liveview corrections are identical. What you did w/DxO is different from what the camera showed you. It is a little frustrating that LR doesn't give a bit more user control of distortion correction though.

Yes you can tweak the RW2 file to disable corrections. I've wrote some code a few years back to disable CA corrections in RW2 files because they are completely wrong of course for IR shooting. If I recall the trick to using exiftool was that it wouldn't modify tags it didn't know something about. But you can experiment and find the tags if you use its htmldump feature which gives the most amount of information in the most readable format in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more

Thanks Ken.  I tend trust my intuition.  It felt like something was off.  I'm so happy to have more options post capture.  Too bad the RW2/LR combo doesn't yield these results normally.  The image quality from this little camera is great.

lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

I used Dx0 Optics to import the RW2 files into lightroom as DNGs and I think I'm keeping all the image data I can. By unchecking 'keep aspect ratio' in Dx0 distortion correction, I get a bit more of the frame. Maybe this is why I'm not all that impressed w/ my compositions lately. It makes a pretty big difference. Here is an example - and the Dx0 correction is significantly better than LR for barrel distortion- this was captured on a 7-14mm at 7mm:

Lightroom Processed RW2

Lightroom Processed after lens distortion correction via Dx0 export to DNG

Amazing difference the software made here.  I recently ran into similar and questioned if I drank too much before shooting as I lost compositional pieces I knew were there in my EVF.  I ran through countless menu settings and 3:2 vs 4:3 ratio test shots.  I appreciate the heads up on a possible cause aside from my pints.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads