Great normal lens on crop cameras but has iffy manual focusing.

Started Aug 11, 2014 | User reviews
jedy New Member • Posts: 23
Great normal lens on crop cameras but has iffy manual focusing.

I used to own this lens until my dad inherited it and my old Canon 600D. It is the perfect normal focal length on crop cameras giving an equivalent 48mm when taking into account the 1.6 crop.

Wide open you do get a fair bit of green and purple fringing but that's common for fast primes.

Yes it came with a front focusing issue. With no micro adjust on the 600D but with the luxury of time, I had Sigma calibrate it under warranty. Their service is first class and unlike Canon who only let you deal with a receptionist, Sigma had an expert greet me when I went to their factory to deliver lens and body. He was able to talk me through the process and left me feeling at ease.

The main downside for me is the manual focusing. The focus ring feels stiff and continuously rotates which doesn't make for a great experience.

This lens works well for video work and produces good quality results. I personally wouldn't use it for focus pulling as I found focusing not pleasurable and using a follow focus it felt a bit loose with not much bite on the focus ring. Better to use deeper depth of field and to stay away from arty filmmaking with lots of movement - ymmv.

The bonus with Sigma lenses is the inclusion of a lens hood and soft case, unlike Canon who charge a fair bit for hoods and flimsy looking lens pouches.

All in all it was the best normal focal length lens on crop camera whilst I had it and I have many great photos from my time with it. My dad now has it on the 600D almost exclusively and is even using it for a bit of video work.

Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
Prime lens • Canon EF-S, Four Thirds, Nikon F (DX), Pentax KAF, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha
Announced: Feb 14, 2005
jedy's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads