What does a blinking top LCD panel indicate on my 5D3?

Started Aug 9, 2014 | Discussions
canon person Senior Member • Posts: 1,575
What does a blinking top LCD panel indicate on my 5D3?

Often times when shooting numerous exposures with my 5D3, the top LCD panel begins to blink and I can't take additional images unless I turn off the camera and begin anew.  I had the same issue with other Canon cameras.  Does anyone have an idea as to why this occurs?  I do not believe that it has anything to do with a filled buffer, because waiting does not remedy the problem.  Ideas?  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GordonAtWork
GordonAtWork Regular Member • Posts: 480
Re: What does a blinking top LCD panel indicate on my 5D3?

Which other models ? I've not heard of this before. Are you using something which you've used with the others when the issues occurred, memory cards, batteries etc. If you are, it's possible these are causing the problems. I'd probably clean the battery contacts or even take out the small backup battery and put another one in or just clean the contacts for that too. Batteries can cause so many problems with electronics. My digital vernier calipers threw a tantrum one day, I put a fresh battery in and hey, they work just fine again.

-- hide signature --

Signature ? You can't handle my signature !!

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
OP canon person Senior Member • Posts: 1,575
Any other comments or suggestions please?

n/t

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,399
Did you...

canon person wrote:

Often times when shooting numerous exposures with my 5D3, the top LCD panel begins to blink and I can't take additional images unless I turn off the camera and begin anew. I had the same issue with other Canon cameras. Does anyone have an idea as to why this occurs? I do not believe that it has anything to do with a filled buffer, because waiting does not remedy the problem. Ideas? Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

Did you install Magic Lantern?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

RedYeti Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: What does a blinking top LCD panel indicate on my 5D3?

Does the whole top LCD blink steadily, but otherwise shows a normal display (ie no flat battery, exposure exceeded indicator, err70 or anything "expected")? I'm not aware of any feature that behaves as you describe. It sounds more like a fault of some sort, albeit an unusual one. Perhaps you could post a video of the problem though since it's not clear what you're seeing exactly.

Another poster mentioned Magic Lantern. While ML can crash sometimes and cause eg err70 errors which require a camera reboot, it doesn't have any direct control over the top LCD so isn't able to deliberately flash it in the way that you describe.

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +6 more
To all:

I do no have Magic Langern installed.  When I shoot multiple images in a row, at time the camera appears to lock up and the top LCD blinks forever.  I have to turn off the camera and wait a second and turn the camera back on.  It is, to my knowledge not a buffer issue, because I use VERY fast CF cards.  I had the same issue with my 5D2.  It is bizarre and Canon can't offer an explanation.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,150
Re: To all:

canon person wrote:

I do no have Magic Langern installed. When I shoot multiple images in a row, at time the camera appears to lock up and the top LCD blinks forever. I have to turn off the camera and wait a second and turn the camera back on. It is, to my knowledge not a buffer issue, because I use VERY fast CF cards. I had the same issue with my 5D2. It is bizarre and Canon can't offer an explanation.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

I owned and used two 5D II and now two 5D III for years as a photojournalist. I've never experienced this behavior. My first thought was that it was a card problem.

Are you using the SD card slot? The SD slot is crippled on the 5D III but, of course, that is not a factor on the 5D II. I assume you formatted the cards in the camera. I format before every single assignment.

These fast cards--what cards are you using? That is the only thing I can think of. Good luck!

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 11-24mm F4L +1 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,399
have been

RedYeti wrote:

Another poster mentioned Magic Lantern. While ML can crash sometimes and cause eg err70 errors which require a camera reboot, it doesn't have any direct control over the top LCD so isn't able to deliberately flash it in the way that you describe.

If you search, you'll see a few instances of the LCD display starting to flicker after installation of magic lantern. That's why I asked

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: To all:

hotdog321 wrote:

canon person wrote:

I do no have Magic Langern installed. When I shoot multiple images in a row, at time the camera appears to lock up and the top LCD blinks forever. I have to turn off the camera and wait a second and turn the camera back on. It is, to my knowledge not a buffer issue, because I use VERY fast CF cards. I had the same issue with my 5D2. It is bizarre and Canon can't offer an explanation.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

I owned and used two 5D II and now two 5D III for years as a photojournalist. I've never experienced this behavior. My first thought was that it was a card problem.

Are you using the SD card slot? The SD slot is crippled on the 5D III but, of course, that is not a factor on the 5D II. I assume you formatted the cards in the camera. I format before every single assignment.

These fast cards--what cards are you using? That is the only thing I can think of. Good luck!

Interesting issue. I also have never experienced any issues in 5D-series cameras, 5D1 (mirror never fell in my copy but still sent to Canon for a preemptive fix and sold later), 5D2 (converted to infrared) and 5D3.

To all:

I use Lexar Pro 1066X 32 gb cards, and have never loaded Magic Lantern.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

paure1 Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: Card access lamp on?

Hi, When the top display is blinking does the card access lamp (below the quick control dial) show any activity - on or blinking?

How reproducible is the problem? If it is intermittent it will be more difficult to isolate.

Have you tried changing the lens or cleaning the contacts on the lens you have?

From what you have told us it looks like your 5D3 will need a service  If you try the suggestions from other posters and record the results you will have more data to tell Canon what the problem and what you have tried - you may even solve the problem.

Allan

paure1's gear list:paure1's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Have your lens checked!

canon person wrote:

Often times when shooting numerous exposures with my 5D3, the top LCD panel begins to blink and I can't take additional images unless I turn off the camera and begin anew. I had the same issue with other Canon cameras. Does anyone have an idea as to why this occurs? I do not believe that it has anything to do with a filled buffer, because waiting does not remedy the problem. Ideas? Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Canon Person

A lens with an intermittent problem will cause your problem.

It did for me!

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads