Question about dslr covers

Started Aug 9, 2014 | Questions
Diogomp
Diogomp New Member • Posts: 9
Question about dslr covers

Hey there. First of all this is my first post on this forum, and I hope to get some help from you guys.

I recently acquired a Canon 6D and since I am carefree some times I am thinking of buying a dslr cover. It's basically a body protection cover made in a material similar to rubber. The idea is to protect it from scratches and small bangs. My question is, will using this type of cover damage the camera's paint? From the friction between the case and the camera I guess there's a change for it to create some damage.

I will post a image here so you guys have an idea of what I'm talking about: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WjDHeijIL._SS100_.jpg

Thank you.

Diogomp's gear list:Diogomp's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
csa2
csa2 Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: Question about dslr covers

I've not seen this type of cover, but if it fits snug, I don't see where it would cause damage to the paint on your camera.  It's probably made of neoprene, and that's pretty soft.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

-- hide signature --

Carol
Proud owner of FZ40 and FZ70.

Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,318

I don't think it will hurt anything as long as none of the doors are blocked and that you have no issues with the tripod socket.  If you decide to get an Arca Swiss compatible L plate, it might cause some issues.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,537

Unless you plan to do something massively dangerous with your camera, don't waste your money. I'm a photojournalist and have worked with other pros all my life and never seen anyone use one of these. When I upgrade my cameras after a few years, they generally still look pretty darn good. Cameras are much tougher than most folks realize.

I suspect that, even if the cover fits properly, it will interfere with the handling and you will get sick of it in a week or two.

My two cents.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads