Long Island costume shoot best of

Started Aug 4, 2014 | Photos
MikeVH Junior Member • Posts: 45
Long Island costume shoot best of

I posted some outtakes a couple of months back, these are some completed images.  I took about 4300 images all weekend, of which 150 made it to post-processing.  Here are ten of my top 25. (My favorite image from the shoot is slightly NSFW for visible nipple and can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/75149876@N00/14679152614/in/set-72157646104924995 )

All images are from my NX30, I think all with my 45mm f/1.8 though I might have used the kit lens for a couple, I can't recall. Check the EXIF info. Lightroom for post.

Sunrise over the water, before the mist burned off

Lens vignetting done in post

I'm really happy with the texture I got in the leaves and moss in the foreground.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Raw Jaw
Raw Jaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Long Island costume shoot best of

MikeVH wrote:

I posted some outtakes a couple of months back, these are some completed images. I took about 4300 images all weekend, of which 150 made it to post-processing.

My goodness. 150 out of 4,300?

You are a perfect candidate for a 4K video camera, with which you can shoot video at 60P of everything you encounter on a shoot, then look through your clips to grab Stills.

Personally I could not enjoy photography if all I got for PP was 150 out of 4,300 shots.

bryguy
bryguy Regular Member • Posts: 144

Nice work! Definitely better than the outtakes. Overall, this looks like it was a fun shoot! I like the first photo and the one with just the legs the best. The NSFW was cool

bryguy's gear list:bryguy's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
OrdinarilyInordinate
OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,684

Raw Jaw wrote:

MikeVH wrote:

I posted some outtakes a couple of months back, these are some completed images. I took about 4300 images all weekend, of which 150 made it to post-processing.

You are a perfect candidate for a 4K video camera, with which you can shoot video at 60P of everything you encounter on a shoot, then look through your clips to grab Stills.

Personally I could not enjoy photography if all I got for PP was 150 out of 4,300 shots.

Heh, yeah, seems like a very small number of shots, but I think he meant shots that were great not only for colors and exposure and composition but also with a great human subject expression.  It's one thing to shoot stationary landscapes and another to shoot human subjects--it can take many photos to capture a great expression (or one if lucky, or none out of 20).  All photos here are of other people, so I can see why only a smaller number were considered truly worth it, judging by the artistic nature of these photos.

-

Great photographs--loved looking at them; thanks for sharing!

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Raw Jaw
Raw Jaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

OrdinarilyInordinate wrote:

Raw Jaw wrote:

MikeVH wrote:

Heh, yeah, seems like a very small number of shots, but I think he meant shots that were great not only for colors and exposure and composition but also with a great human subject expression. It's one thing to shoot stationary landscapes and another to shoot human subjects--it can take many photos to capture a great expression (or one if lucky, or none out of 20). All photos here are of other people, so I can see why only a smaller number were considered truly worth it, judging by the artistic nature of these photos.

-

95% of my photography is of people, and 150 out of 4300 is a rate which would tire out the subjects, imo.

OP MikeVH Junior Member • Posts: 45

Raw Jaw wrote:

OrdinarilyInordinate wrote:

Raw Jaw wrote:

MikeVH wrote:

Heh, yeah, seems like a very small number of shots, but I think he meant shots that were great not only for colors and exposure and composition but also with a great human subject expression. It's one thing to shoot stationary landscapes and another to shoot human subjects--it can take many photos to capture a great expression (or one if lucky, or none out of 20). All photos here are of other people, so I can see why only a smaller number were considered truly worth it, judging by the artistic nature of these photos.

-

95% of my photography is of people, and 150 out of 4300 is a rate which would tire out the subjects, imo.

Perhaps I'm simply more selective. Also when one works with amateur models -- enthusiastic, creative amateurs, but still amateurs -- who don't really know what they're doing, you have to rely on your luck rather than their skill to get a good shot.

But if you think about it, shooting for three days, six to eight hours a day -- call it 20 hours of shooting, total. Probably one to two setups per hour, on average (which for a location shoot is really quite good, but I was shooting mostly natural light with a single reflector so things were quick). So it's, what, 100-200 shots per setup, each of which yields maybe five shots that make PP, and of those five one that makes the final cut? I think that's reasonable.

OP MikeVH Junior Member • Posts: 45

bryguy wrote:

Nice work! Definitely better than the outtakes. Overall, this looks like it was a fun shoot! I like the first photo and the one with just the legs the best. The NSFW was cool

Thanks! I try to do fun shoots, because otherwise I might as well be in an office, you know?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads