Sony Zeiss 24mm f2 SSM ZA (for alpha mount) on A7 / NEX - any views / better 24 mm options?

Started Aug 4, 2014 | Discussions
Raffer76 Regular Member • Posts: 141
Sony Zeiss 24mm f2 SSM ZA (for alpha mount) on A7 / NEX - any views / better 24 mm options?

Keen to hear about any views of how the Sony 24mm f2 performs on the A7 / NEX and how it handles (weight / balance etc).

24mm is my favourite focal length for landscape shooting and currently using the Rokkor MD W 24mm 2.8 which I am happy with though, whilst its my favourite lens on the Minolta XD-7 and good on the A7S, I think it might lack behind the newer  24mm f2 glass in terms of resolution, micro-contrast etc for landscapes...

If anyone has compared the rokkor 24mm 2.8 to other better 24mm glass, keen to hear their views too...

Thanks

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pat Whittingham
Pat Whittingham Regular Member • Posts: 225
Re: Sony Zeiss 24mm f2 SSM ZA (for alpha mount) on A7 / NEX - any views / better 24 mm options?

I tested SAL24F20Z on A7R and compared it to the SEL2470Z at 24mm. Based on a few basic test shots which were posted on the site a few months ago, I bought the lens. The 24-70 is OK after correction in post but the 24mm CZ has very little distortion and looks so much better. I do like the 24-70 for event and general photography and do not regret this purchase. I am hopeful that the mass of the lens/EA4 will help me minimize shake.

Like you I prefer 24mm for landscapes and will travel with it later this month to see if it is worth the weight and size penalty compared to the excellent FE 35mm f2.8. I'm tempted to just stitch 35mm portrait oriented images which is excellent if not time-consuming.

You might want to wait now for the FE 16-35mm F4 expected to be shown at Photokina in Sept. I think the 24mm CZ prime will be better but not be as flexible.

As the A-7r is so demanding on lens quality and demands a prime to extract the best from the 36 mpixel sensor, you might find the A7 more forgiving.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony RX100 VI Sony RX100 VII Sony a7C Sony a7R IIIA +8 more
hiepphotog Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Sony Zeiss 24mm f2 SSM ZA (for alpha mount) on A7 / NEX - any views / better 24 mm options?

Sony ZA 24/2 is an outstanding lens for street and reportage photography. I had a blast with it shooting a charity event. But it is not quite there as a landscape lens, at least for me. The lens has quite a dip in resolution in the midzone (close to the long edge) at landscape aperture (5.6-11). It is more irritating than the typical fuzzy corners, IMO.

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R II Sony a9 Canon EOS R Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
OP Raffer76 Regular Member • Posts: 141

Thanks for that. Good to hear that as I hadn't read that in a review. Do have any photos which show that effect?

Any recommendations for a better landscape 24mm? I have heard good things about the OM 24mm 2.8..

Cheers

Ps I am also considering just taking my Mamiya 7ii with 50mm with me when I want to shoot landscapes until a native e-mount solutions come along from zeiss or others but that is heavy/expensive..

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

the om24/2.8 has field curvature issues, just like most every other 24mm lens out there... a good one looks good(henry has a clean one), but both om wides that i have are decentered.

by comparison, i have three canon fdn 24/2.8 lenses that all look the same, and on the a7r, they look better on the sides than the four other 24mm brands that i tested... plus they are cheaper.

field curvature on wide lenses is so bad on the a7r that i ended up going with 28mm and longer... and then vertically stitching that, like pat says.

if i had your mamiya rig, i'd sell the body, get a tilt/shift adapter, and use the glass on the emount cameras... some of the guys over at fredmiranda.com have posted some great pics that were taken with that approach.

-- hide signature --

dan

philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

Along with the also heavy ZF 25/2, this ZA24 is one of the very best non-TS lenses at 24mm, and would work just fine. hiepphoto, that is the first I have heard of long edge issues, the FM crew kicked this one around and it came up strong, stronger than the other one I mentioned above - the photozone 'test' looks fine but who knows where their delineations are to separate frame IH categories, and they gave it a good review despite being a committed anti-Sony site. See for yourselves:

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/568-zeiss24f2ff?start=1

A lot of other reviewers really liked it too. It's also a 'modern' lens in that it is well-behaved for general use wide open, so versatile as well. Exc spec, two asph, two ED.

And a usual note that the better zooms - some manual focus ones made last century - are very often better than many/most prime lenses made anytime, and the irony is both the CY and Leica R 35-70s had better corners than any non-macro 50mm either company made back then, and even now in the case of the ZEF Planars.

It's my experience that if a lens works well on 24Mp (I used a900 and a99 for years) then it will work well on either of the two 36Mp cameras. Flaws are not hard to see at 24Mp either! So that is an effort at snipping those two memes before they take flight..probably too late of course, forums love hard and fast truths even when they do not accord with reality!

Rocky Mtn Old Boy
Rocky Mtn Old Boy New Member • Posts: 24

1) Zeiss Distagon T 25mm f/2 ZF.2 - $1700

2) Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED - $2200

3) Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM - $1550 **

4) Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC - $600

5) Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM - $800

As ranked by DxO. If you're happy with the Rokkor, then the Samyang (same manufacturer) is a no brainer. Get it with which ever adapter you have. I personally go with Canon mount as I have smart adapters for my A7. That said, the Samyang has a very good score, but the actual sharpness is lower than the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM.

** Arguably, the Canon 24mm f/1.4L II USM is better than (or as good as) both the Zeiss and Nikkor but difficult due to how the sensor skews result - (Nikon mount the Zeiss is far better than the Samyang, but Canon mount the Samyang is better ?!?!)

-- hide signature --

Pro-hump!

Rocky Mtn Old Boy's gear list:Rocky Mtn Old Boy's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 Sony a7R II Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +9 more
Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,866

Seems like a very troublesome focal length! 

I might put my old Nikkor AI (2.8) up for bat on my next trip. That one is definitely stronger in the corners than the Minolta MD.

I also like the portrait panorama idea, since I do my more devoted roaming with an L bracket and a swivel base.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha NEX-7 +8 more
mathlawguy Forum Member • Posts: 79

I just used mine extensively on an A7R with an LA-EA4 on a trip to Colorado and California.  Pluses: excellent focus speed, very sharp at medium apertures and sharp at wide apertures, non-enormous. Minuses: considerably bigger with the adapter than the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 (and, of course, it needs an adapter).  Unless I need to be very compact, however, I found that I preferred the LA-EA4 + SAL24F2Z combo to the Zeiss 35mm on the A7R, at least for landscape, on the theory that I sometimes wanted the extra width and generally have enough pixels to crop down to an effective 35mm focal length. Yes, it's a little bigger and heavier, but I did not find that to be a problem for general hiking about. This is not to criticize the Zeiss 35mm at all -- it's an excellent lens too.  As other posters have noted, however, there are lots of good options, though, and much is a matter of taste, budget and use cases.

mathlawguy's gear list:mathlawguy's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +1 more
JeffGo Contributing Member • Posts: 840

Welcome to the great 24mm quest! I'm still looking for a good solution. Maybe when the FE1635Z comes it will be really great in the middle where most zooms do their best. Too bad Sony hasn't followed up with either the rumored 24mm lens(es) or 21mm. For now, I am making do with a CV 28 which isn't great but well built and less than half the cost of the SAL24+EA4 or the Zeiss Distagon ZF/ZE 25mm or 21mm (all of which are probably better).

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,398

mathlawguy wrote:

I just used mine extensively on an A7R with an LA-EA4 on a trip to Colorado and California. Pluses: excellent focus speed, very sharp at medium apertures and sharp at wide apertures, non-enormous. Minuses: considerably bigger with the adapter than the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 (and, of course, it needs an adapter). Unless I need to be very compact, however, I found that I preferred the LA-EA4 + SAL24F2Z combo to the Zeiss 35mm on the A7R, at least for landscape, on the theory that I sometimes wanted the extra width and generally have enough pixels to crop down to an effective 35mm focal length. Yes, it's a little bigger and heavier, but I did not find that to be a problem for general hiking about. This is not to criticize the Zeiss 35mm at all -- it's an excellent lens too. As other posters have noted, however, there are lots of good options, though, and much is a matter of taste, budget and use cases.

I picked up the Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS a couple days ago and took it for a spin today with the LA-EA4 on the A7R. These are a few examples from it. I found a profile for the A850 from Adobe Lens Profile Downloader that takes care of the vignetting wide open and the mild distortion. I was reading about corner problems and COMA/purple fringing. The purple fringing is there like it is with all Minolta AF primes but it an easy fix.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the group on this lens. Seriously, how much better is the Zeiss (SAL24F2Z)?

Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS on A7R

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III

Thanks for the suggestions Dan - Unfortunately and please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone has adapted the lenses for the Mamiya 7II to e-mount but I might try doing it for some of the Mamiya 645 lenses as I was only looking into this last night...

Thanks a lot for that. Definitely an aspirational list but I might consider some of those options particularly the Canons you mentioned..

philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

Hell will freeze over before irecommend a non-telephoto EF lens, but the friends over at getdpi.com/sony really like the Canon FD 20/2.8 and FD 24/2.8.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50640-sony-a7r-canon-fd-lenses.html

and

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1253143

Well worth a look, they even have a distinctive colour palette and drawing style. I like what I see of them. Trad SLR small size too before C/N went down the porky camera path to slow motion sales stagnation - see the rumours site:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/soemthing-is-changing-dslr-sales-going-down-mirrorless-sales-going-slighty-up/

Statistics is not the strong point of respondents..but it is one of mine:

The 2.5 year period of sales data reveals the long term average for DSLR sales to be around 1.1 million per month. The average for the first six months of 2014 is about where it sits now - 800,000 units per month. Mirrorless sales over 15 months have been very consistent at an average of around 275,000 units per month and the past six months has seen sales rise steadily to around the long term average following a short lull - which coincided with a disastrous decline in DSLR sales, from which they have made only a weak recovery and far below the long term average. The ratio is DSLR - 75% and mirrorless 25%. All off the graph and I hae no idea if the data are accurate or representative.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/soemthing-is-changing-dslr-sales-going-down-mirrorless-sales-going-slighty-up/

i would email mirex, and see if they have come up with an emount tilt/shift yet, as well as something for that other mamiya mount(?)... i was looking at options for 645 --> nikon, mounted on a cheapo nikon --> emount adapter.

the sony zeiss 24mm is $1,400... for $2,200 you could get a canon t/s 24mm, that should be better on the sides, with less vignetting.

i think that the fdn 24/2.8 is a bit low on contrast, here are some of the comparison shots i did with it:

fdn 24mm f/2.8 on sony a7r

-- hide signature --

dan

PVCdroid

PVCdroid wrote:

mathlawguy wrote:

I just used mine extensively on an A7R with an LA-EA4 on a trip to Colorado and California. Pluses: excellent focus speed, very sharp at medium apertures and sharp at wide apertures, non-enormous. Minuses: considerably bigger with the adapter than the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 (and, of course, it needs an adapter). Unless I need to be very compact, however, I found that I preferred the LA-EA4 + SAL24F2Z combo to the Zeiss 35mm on the A7R, at least for landscape, on the theory that I sometimes wanted the extra width and generally have enough pixels to crop down to an effective 35mm focal length. Yes, it's a little bigger and heavier, but I did not find that to be a problem for general hiking about. This is not to criticize the Zeiss 35mm at all -- it's an excellent lens too. As other posters have noted, however, there are lots of good options, though, and much is a matter of taste, budget and use cases.

I picked up the Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS a couple days ago and took it for a spin today with the LA-EA4 on the A7R. These are a few examples from it. I found a profile for the A850 from Adobe Lens Profile Downloader that takes care of the vignetting wide open and the mild distortion. I was reading about corner problems and COMA/purple fringing. The purple fringing is there like it is with all Minolta AF primes but it an easy fix.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the group on this lens. Seriously, how much better is the Zeiss (SAL24F2Z)?

Minolta AF 24/2.8 RS on A7R

I was really hoping to get some critique or comparisons on this lens. Anyone? I'm thinking it is doing a better job than the SEL2470Z @24mm. I guess I'm trying to determine if this is about as good as I'm going to get or if I should spend a lot more on something else in the 24mm range. I also have the 28mm AF/2.8 from Minolta and believe it is a bit sharper than this one. The 28mm has a lot more COMA/purple fringing though.

droid, were those images cropped? maybe post up an ooc jpeg of that first shot, something that hasn't been altered at all.

-- hide signature --

dan

PVCdroid

osv wrote:

droid, were those images cropped? maybe post up an ooc jpeg of that first shot, something that hasn't been altered at all.

That's a bad sign. No, they weren't copped. The last one just slightly straitened. They were shot raw and I applied Camera Landscape in LR, medium tone curve and slightly brought up shadows in the second and third images.

Here is the first one with no adjustments and the lens profile removed.

Edit: It occurred to me you were probably referencing a higher resolution image. Here is 6000 length

Minolta AF RS 24/2.8 A7R

hiepphotog Regular Member • Posts: 304

I guess you missed the part I pointed out that I loved the ZA for people photography. Photozone tested lenses not at infinity/landscape distance, and they tested only 3 points. I have tried 5 different copies of this lens, and here is the crop of the problematic area:

The published MTF correlates well with this:

You can clearly see astigmatism is the culprit (divergence of the two lines). I compared the lens against the Samyang 24/1.4, and the Samyang is actually a better landscape lens.

philip pj wrote:

Along with the also heavy ZF 25/2, this ZA24 is one of the very best non-TS lenses at 24mm, and would work just fine. hiepphoto, that is the first I have heard of long edge issues, the FM crew kicked this one around and it came up strong, stronger than the other one I mentioned above - the photozone 'test' looks fine but who knows where their delineations are to separate frame IH categories, and they gave it a good review despite being a committed anti-Sony site. See for yourselves:

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/568-zeiss24f2ff?start=1

A lot of other reviewers really liked it too. It's also a 'modern' lens in that it is well-behaved for general use wide open, so versatile as well. Exc spec, two asph, two ED.

And a usual note that the better zooms - some manual focus ones made last century - are very often better than many/most prime lenses made anytime, and the irony is both the CY and Leica R 35-70s had better corners than any non-macro 50mm either company made back then, and even now in the case of the ZEF Planars.

It's my experience that if a lens works well on 24Mp (I used a900 and a99 for years) then it will work well on either of the two 36Mp cameras. Flaws are not hard to see at 24Mp either! So that is an effort at snipping those two memes before they take flight..probably too late of course, forums love hard and fast truths even when they do not accord with reality!

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R II Sony a9 Canon EOS R Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +12 more

PVCdroid wrote:

it might possibly be weaker on the left side, from about the stump area on up to the top.

maybe compare the same shot at different apertures... that f9 is a half-stop mark between f8/f11? usually they are headed downhill by f11, but it would be worth checking out.

thx for the pic, i've wanted to see what that lens looks like.

-- hide signature --

dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads