Fuji future sensor technology?

Started Aug 4, 2014 | Discussions
Daniel Keutmann Forum Member • Posts: 54
Fuji future sensor technology?

Hello everyone,

I just sold my Canon SLR equipment and am now at the point of investing in a new system. Since I find the electronic viewfinders good enough by now it should be a mirrorless camera.

I want an aps-c sized sensor so m43 is not an option. This leaves me pretty much the choice between Fuji an Sony.

I think the Fuji lens line up is much better, I actually struggle to find a decent standard-zoom for sony.

In addition I somehow don't like how sony cameras operate and feel.

So it's all in favour of Fuji... BUT

I heard rumors of canon and sony developing foveon-like sensors. If one of them should succeed in producing such a sensor with decent low light performance I fear that this would mean the end for the other companies (I own a dp merrill - in good light nothing can match it in terms of sheer image quality).

Is Fuji developing anything similar as well?

It would be annoying to invest in Fuji if they can't compete sensor wise...

What are your thoughts on this?

Best regards

Daniel

Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,017
Re: Fuji future sensor technology?

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

I heard rumors of (...)

I'd not base a purchase on rumors.

I'd buy a camera based on what the company has out now! It is rather save to say that Fuji will most likely stay with APS for quite a while, and that cameras with more Megapixels and maybe slighly better high ISO capabilities will come out some time, for all new technologies I would not bet. Could be, could not be. Fujii could bring their organic sensor or not.

The Foveon has some qualities, but it also has downsides: Bad high ISO, overly enhanced details that somehow distract from the "Gestalt" of the whole image. And by the way, despite there being no Bayer mask, the amount of total interpolation and math inside the sensor is higher (according to some experts) than in a Bayer sensor.

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

afragisk Senior Member • Posts: 1,439

Do you have an image that displays that "nothing can match" the dp merill performance at good light ? I found a couple online and I honestly couldn't observe any higher detail than usual in my 30inch is monitor when viewed full size - not 1:1.

A part from that, Fuji is also working on the organic sensor - you may Google it.

Thx
--
Apollon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollonas/
http://500px.com/Apollon
Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 300 4L, Fuji 55-200, Fuji 56 1.2, Canon FD 50 3.5 macro, Fuji 27 2.8, Fuji 23 1.4, Zeiss 12 2.8, Rokinon II 8 2.8

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

By a second Merrill.

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 11,448

I wouldn't buy anything from Sony that I didn't absolutely have to. Virtually everything I've ever purchased from that company was a disappointment and I don't see their photographic equipment any differently.

One example is the lossy RAW format Sony uses that a recent study with RAW Digger found posterization in properly exposed files most likely due to the lossy compression format. Sony is not an imaging company, they are a huge conglomerate with many divisions that come and go as Sony views the market trends. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was not in the camera business 5 or 10 years from now.

As for Foveon I've seen interesting results and bad results. At this time I don't see Foveon as being any slam dunk over Bayer or Fuji's X-Trans so I wouldn't be too concerned as IMO it has a long way to go and it may never get there.

It's interesting that you just sold your Canon SLR system right when the rumors are that Canon is about to announce something revolutionary which is long overdue from Canon. If anything, I'd have hung on to the Canon gear until the announcement was made and then moved forward from there. That's precisely what I'm doing as I've shot Canon for nearly 40 years but just added an XT1, 18-55 and 55-200 to my bag all which I love. I'm holding off on selling most or all of my Canon gear until I see what they announce as I expect it will give me a clearer picture of where Canon is headed in the future and whether it fits with my needs.

Good luck,

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,151

rwbaron wrote:

I wouldn't buy anything from Sony that I didn't absolutely have to. Virtually everything I've ever purchased from that company was a disappointment and I don't see their photographic equipment any differently.

One example is the lossy RAW format Sony uses that a recent study with RAW Digger found posterization in properly exposed files most likely due to the lossy compression format. Sony is not an imaging company, they are a huge conglomerate with many divisions that come and go as Sony views the market trends. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was not in the camera business 5 or 10 years from now.

Big +1 on that.  I don't share the enthusiasm that many have for Sony and have bought my last camera from them.

As for Foveon I've seen interesting results and bad results. At this time I don't see Foveon as being any slam dunk over Bayer or Fuji's X-Trans so I wouldn't be too concerned as IMO it has a long way to go and it may never get there.

It's interesting that you just sold your Canon SLR system right when the rumors are that Canon is about to announce something revolutionary which is long overdue from Canon. If anything, I'd have hung on to the Canon gear until the announcement was made and then moved forward from there. That's precisely what I'm doing as I've shot Canon for nearly 40 years but just added an XT1, 18-55 and 55-200 to my bag all which I love. I'm holding off on selling most or all of my Canon gear until I see what they announce as I expect it will give me a clearer picture of where Canon is headed in the future and whether it fits with my needs.

Bob, this depends on what the OP's motivation was for ditching his gear in the first place.  If it was simply to replace it with newer equipment, then I totally agree with your assessment.  However, if his intention was similar to mine, which was to downsize, reduce weight, but not to do so at the expense of IQ (quite the opposite -- wanted and expected a significant improvement there), then selling his equipment may have been the right thing to do.

While the Canon cameras that are expected to come out in the next month or so are very likely going to be DSLRs, it's possible that any breakthrough sensor technology found in them might also carry forward to the M series.  It's going to take a HUGE jump for Canon to migrate that series from where it is to where Fuji is now with the X-T1 (let alone where it might be with the X-T2, or whatever they call its successor). Even if I was convinced that Canon was going to so some serious tree shaking with the 7D successor, I'm not sure that I would have been willing to wait long enough for them to be REAL players in the mirrorless market, if that's where the OP really wants to be.

Perhaps if the OP shares his motivations and key purchase criteria it might help us understand what would be the best direction to go.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Christof21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,628

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just sold my Canon SLR equipment and am now at the point of investing in a new system. Since I find the electronic viewfinders good enough by now it should be a mirrorless camera.

I want an aps-c sized sensor so m43 is not an option. This leaves me pretty much the choice between Fuji an Sony.

I think the Fuji lens line up is much better, I actually struggle to find a decent standard-zoom for sony.

I heard rumors of canon and sony developing foveon-like sensors. If one of them should succeed in producing such a sensor with decent low light performance I fear that this would mean the end for the other companies (I own a dp merrill - in good light nothing can match it in terms of sheer image quality).

Best regards

Daniel

First, I thank Sony for its great sensor we can benefit on our Fuji camera !

Sony has many innovations and much more potential to innovate than Fuji IMHO.  Before the Fuji camera can use a new Sony sensor, there may be a delay ( I had heard there was at least a 6 months delay)

But if there is a big improvement, I guess the delay couild be much longer because Sony can take big margins without competitors...The Sony sensor from the RX100 for instance has only been shared recently (in the pana FZ1000).

Sony has also the  curved sensor technology which should be announced at photokina.

In the opposite, I have more and more doubts about the organic sensor...

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 11,448

Jerry-astro wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

One example is the lossy RAW format Sony uses that a recent study with RAW Digger found posterization in properly exposed files most likely due to the lossy compression format. Sony is not an imaging company, they are a huge conglomerate with many divisions that come and go as Sony views the market trends. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was not in the camera business 5 or 10 years from now.

Big +1 on that. I don't share the enthusiasm that many have for Sony and have bought my last camera from them.

Bob, this depends on what the OP's motivation was for ditching his gear in the first place. If it was simply to replace it with newer equipment, then I totally agree with your assessment. However, if his intention was similar to mine, which was to downsize, reduce weight, but not to do so at the expense of IQ (quite the opposite -- wanted and expected a significant improvement there), then selling his equipment may have been the right thing to do.

While the Canon cameras that are expected to come out in the next month or so are very likely going to be DSLRs, it's possible that any breakthrough sensor technology found in them might also carry forward to the M series. It's going to take a HUGE jump for Canon to migrate that series from where it is to where Fuji is now with the X-T1 (let alone where it might be with the X-T2, or whatever they call its successor). Even if I was convinced that Canon was going to so some serious tree shaking with the 7D successor, I'm not sure that I would have been willing to wait long enough for them to be REAL players in the mirrorless market, if that's where the OP really wants to be.

Perhaps if the OP shares his motivations and key purchase criteria it might help us understand what would be the best direction to go.

Good point Jerry.  It would help to know what the OP's motivation is for change.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more
darngooddesign Senior Member • Posts: 6,114

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

What do you find lacking about current Fuji low light images?

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

My take on it is very simple. I believe they should have continued on with the development of the S&R pixel sensor.

For anyone who owns or has owned a Fuji S3Pro or S5Pro no explanation is needed - they will know exactly what I mean.

I am now a lot less enthusiastic about the X-Trans sensor now they have a mass of PDAF pixels occupying valuable sensor real estate all for the sake of a couple of hundreds of a seconds faster focussing. Others may like that idea, not me.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Daniel Keutmann OP Forum Member • Posts: 54

rwbaron wrote:

Good luck,

Bob

-- hide signature --

I sold my canon gear before I heard these rumors.

At any rate I wanted to go mirrorless, so I'm not regretting my decision.

Regards

rwbaron wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Big +1 on that. I don't share the enthusiasm that many have for Sony and have bought my last camera from them.

Bob, this depends on what the OP's motivation was for ditching his gear in the first place. If it was simply to replace it with newer equipment, then I totally agree with your assessment. However, if his intention was similar to mine, which was to downsize, reduce weight, but not to do so at the expense of IQ (quite the opposite -- wanted and expected a significant improvement there), then selling his equipment may have been the right thing to do.

While the Canon cameras that are expected to come out in the next month or so are very likely going to be DSLRs, it's possible that any breakthrough sensor technology found in them might also carry forward to the M series. It's going to take a HUGE jump for Canon to migrate that series from where it is to where Fuji is now with the X-T1 (let alone where it might be with the X-T2, or whatever they call its successor). Even if I was convinced that Canon was going to so some serious tree shaking with the 7D successor, I'm not sure that I would have been willing to wait long enough for them to be REAL players in the mirrorless market, if that's where the OP really wants to be.

Good point Jerry. It would help to know what the OP's motivation is for change.

Bob

-- hide signature --

My motivation was to move to a system that is less bulky. In addition - although EVF are not yet on the same level as OVF in terms ob image quality, they are very close. And I find it very useful to brighten up the image, check exposure, see more information, use focus peaking / split image focusing for old MF lenses etc...

Daniel

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Well...

....what I hope for is a 24mp sensor with 15 stops DR and another 2 to 3 stops lower noise.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more

darngooddesign wrote:

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

What do you find lacking about current Fuji low light images?

I do not find anything lacking about Fuji's low light performance. But similar low light performance in a foveon sensor would be too good to be true...

EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

Christof21 wrote:

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Daniel

First, I thank Sony for its great sensor we can benefit on our Fuji camera

Do we have a statement from Fuji or Sony that provides some truth to this often read theory? There are surely more sensor manufacturers out there, other than Sony, so without knowing precisely who delivers what to whom, everything else is speculation.

Not that it would matter where the chip comes from really.

Christof21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,628

EricWN wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Daniel

Do we have a statement from Fuji or Sony that provides some truth to this often read theory? There are surely more sensor manufacturers out there, other than Sony, so without knowing precisely who delivers what to whom, everything else is speculation.

This is not a secret or speculation.

http://www.fujirumors.com/using-the-fujifilm-x-a1-x-m1/

"They look very much the same, they offer the same buttons and controls, the same processor, the same operating speed/performance, the same features, the same menus, the same build, material and size, even the same 16 MP Sony sensor"

Rico is a trusted source, right ?

Also, if you want to know precisely the Sony sensor used:

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/23511/which-digital-cameras-are-using-which-sensors

But this is really something weird. Why do people doubt so much about this information ??? Is there a problem pretending that the Fuji sensor is a Sony ? In this forum, I see lot's of critics about Sony, maybe this is an explanation. I hope Fuji will continue with Sony, they have great sensors.

EricWN Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

Christof21 wrote:

EricWN wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Daniel

This is not a secret or speculation.

http://www.fujirumors.com/using-the-fujifilm-x-a1-x-m1/

"They look very much the same, they offer the same buttons and controls, the same processor, the same operating speed/performance, the same features, the same menus, the same build, material and size, even the same 16 MP Sony sensor"

Rico is a trusted source, right ?

Also, if you want to know precisely the Sony sensor used:

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/23511/which-digital-cameras-are-using-which-sensors

But this is really something weird. Why do people doubt so much about this information ??? Is there a problem pretending that the Fuji sensor is a Sony ? In this forum, I see lot's of critics about Sony, maybe this is an explanation. I hope Fuji will continue with Sony, they have great sensors.

No, Rico, is not an official resource, he's obviously a third party making a profit from the Fuji products writing books for their customers. This doesn't really confirm much.

Apart from me already stating that it doesn't really matter which chip manufacturer makes the chip (at least to me), I think there are a bunch of users who came here after ditching their Sony equipment. Each will have their own reasons.

I personally don't have any positive experience in the last years where Sony products stood out as anything desirable, but that's just me. Taken into account their fabulous unprofessionalism when they lost their customer data on the PSN to hackers, I just won't buy much from them.

Eamon Hickey Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

I heard rumors of canon and sony developing foveon-like sensors.

First, I agree with other comments that it's a bad idea to base purchasing decisions on vague rumors.

Because of its obvious potential advantages, lots of companies are pursuing full-color sensing, including Fuji. They first revealed work on an organic full-color sensor in conjunction with Japan's national television agency back around 2005/2006. So the rumors are not limited to Canon and Sony.

That said, I don't think there's any way to guess who might make a breakthrough, although Fuji would certainly be on my short list (along with Sony and Canon).

If one of them should succeed in producing such a sensor with decent low light performance I fear that this would mean the end for the other companies

It's very unlikely that it would mean the end for other camera companies. It's very probable that whoever invented such a sensor -- if its performance and price were good -- would go into the business of supplying it to other companies, just as Sony now does with its sensors. That's where the real money would be for them. Remember that there is a huge ecosystem in which sensors play the central role -- for industrial and machine vision applications, video in all its forms (from closed-circuit surveillance to Hollywood blockbuster productions), military and aerospace, smartphones!, and, finally, the little ol' still cameras we like.

If you had a hot full-color sensor technology, the obvious business choice is to sell it and/or license it for a tidy profit to all of the hundreds of companies making cameras for all those different uses.

Fabio Amodeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,232
Just wait a month

It won't take long to know where the future is. In a month's time Photokina show will open in Köln/Cologne, and anybody with something in the near future will showcase it. I think companies will showcase anything that may be in their future, becuse the industry as a whole is in a very bad shape, with the golden eggs chicken, the DSLR, slowly fading away, and the could be heir, mirrorless systems, growing slowly and still far from profit levels.
Moreover, we are in a situation where it is extremely difficult to convince users to upgrade. Going from 20/24 MPs to 36/50 MPs is hardly a reason, when 20/24 is enough for most uses (and a higher MP count requires a self discipline to be fully exploited that few users are willing to adopt). The same for ISO: if your system is decent at 6400, how many people really need 64000 or 128000?
So the industry needs something to shout, to grab attention. It may be on the shelves, it may be in the future, it may be something distant to pre-empty competition. But the shouts will be there.
At the same moment, sensor industry is moving very quickly. It has two engines, both richer than photography: the mobile phone industry (and we're talking about millions of units a year) and the car industry, with the need for sensors for driving automation (and we're talking not only of million of units, but of amounts of money nothing else can move).
So I think the technology will run fast, and some fall-out will come to the benefit of photographic industry. Will it be enough to turn on the consumers again? I'm not sure. I bought into the Fuji X system mostly because of the lenses, but also because I happened to read all the noise made around the X-Trans sensor. The I bought a X-A1 as back up, and its humble and dated Bayer sensor is just as good as the Fuji revolution. Next time they announce a revolution, I'll make my tests first.

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

No worries there - Fuji uses Sony sensors - they just add a CFA on top of it and call it an X-Trans sensor but really its a Sony sensor underneath it all.

You want to know what sensor the next Fuji X-camera will have - just look at the Sony A6000 sensor. That will most likely be the next Fuji sensor.

Daniel Keutmann wrote:

Hello everyone,

Best regards

Daniel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads