Adobe LR5.6 NEX-6 SEL18-55 (RAW Profile)

Started Aug 4, 2014 | Discussions
Plasmatico Regular Member • Posts: 110
Adobe LR5.6 NEX-6 SEL18-55 (RAW Profile)

When I import a raw file to Library, LR correctly identifies the camera (NEX-6) and the lens used (SEL 18-55), but when I switch to the Develop module and look at the Lens Correction tab the Lens is correctly identified but the Profile says NEX-5n. I know I can manually change to the "correct" profile, but I'm a bit confuse because when I look at my Adobe Lens Profile Downloader under Sony NEX-6 I only see the SEL P16-50 lens profile, did Adobe ever released an official profile for the NEX6 + SEL 18-55?

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
W5JCK
W5JCK Senior Member • Posts: 2,751
Re: Adobe LR5.6 NEX-6 SEL18-55 (RAW Profile)

In LR 5.6 I don't see a reference at all to which camera the profile is associated. In the LR Develop module: Lens Corrections: Profile, I see only the lens' make, model, and profile name. Absolutely no reference to my a6000 or a7. Which version of LR are you using?

I do see a 18-55mm profile so LR has one for it, but I don't see it referenced to any cameras.

-- hide signature --

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Sony a7, Sony a6000, and Canon Powershot G1 X. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden/

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +15 more
OP Plasmatico Regular Member • Posts: 110

Hi - Thank you for your reply. I'm using LR 5.6. For JPEG I don't have a SEL1855 profile, but for RAW I found the SEL1855 profile under Sony E and the profile is named Adobe (Sony 18-55).

I don't know why, under Sony (without the E), I have a profile named NEX-5N E 18-55, which is quite different than the Sony E profile. Two profiles for presumably the same lens.

JeffGo Contributing Member • Posts: 840

I think that was the original 18-55 profile which was definitely hard coded to the 5. I had to jigger it for use with my NEX-7. Lately Adobe broke out the profiles into Sony, Sony E and Sony FE categories. You might still have the old profile around?

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
OP Plasmatico Regular Member • Posts: 110

That's a good explanation, at first I didn't see the Sony E profile but now that I found it's all good.

The odd thing is why did LR picked the old profile automatically instead of the newer one? Anyway, thank you all for the advice and help.

MJC

Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000

Plasmatico wrote:

When I import a raw file to Library, LR correctly identifies the camera (NEX-6) and the lens used (SEL 18-55), but when I switch to the Develop module and look at the Lens Correction tab the Lens is correctly identified but the Profile says NEX-5n. I know I can manually change to the "correct" profile, but I'm a bit confuse because when I look at my Adobe Lens Profile Downloader under Sony NEX-6 I only see the SEL P16-50 lens profile, did Adobe ever released an official profile for the NEX6 + SEL 18-55?

Adobe Lens Profiles are not camera specific - though you would want one created for full frame if shooting for with a full frame body.

JeffGo Contributing Member • Posts: 840

Brian_Smith wrote:

Plasmatico wrote:

When I import a raw file to Library, LR correctly identifies the camera (NEX-6) and the lens used (SEL 18-55), but when I switch to the Develop module and look at the Lens Correction tab the Lens is correctly identified but the Profile says NEX-5n. I know I can manually change to the "correct" profile, but I'm a bit confuse because when I look at my Adobe Lens Profile Downloader under Sony NEX-6 I only see the SEL P16-50 lens profile, did Adobe ever released an official profile for the NEX6 + SEL 18-55?

Adobe Lens Profiles are not camera specific - though you would want one created for full frame if shooting for with a full frame body.

Well there are some exceptions to that. For example, A700 has specific profiles for DT 18-200, A900 has one for 50 f1.4 - other cameras use generic versions. And the E16 and E18-55 are shown with Sony NEX-5 in the name (the camera used to create the profile, I believe) although there are no other versions for these lenses. In LR4 however, it was hard to get the 18-55 to work for NEX-7 - I had to hack the file (these are human readable "pseudo" XML).

Here's a few lines from the current E16 profile (same for 18-55) :

<stCamera:UniqueCameraModel>Sony NEX-5</stCamera:UniqueCameraModel>
<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>
<stCamera:Lens>E 16mm F2.8</stCamera:Lens>

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000

JeffGo wrote:

Brian_Smith wrote:

Plasmatico wrote:

Well there are some exceptions to that. For example, A700 has specific profiles for DT 18-200, A900 has one for 50 f1.4 - other cameras use generic versions. And the E16 and E18-55 are shown with Sony NEX-5 in the name (the camera used to create the profile, I believe) although there are no other versions for these lenses. In LR4 however, it was hard to get the 18-55 to work for NEX-7 - I had to hack the file (these are human readable "pseudo" XML).

Here's a few lines from the current E16 profile (same for 18-55) :

<stCamera:UniqueCameraModel>Sony NEX-5</stCamera:UniqueCameraModel>
<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>
<stCamera:Lens>E 16mm F2.8</stCamera:Lens>

When Adobe started creating Lens Profiles they listed the camera they were created with.

While it's helpful to know if a profile was created using a Sony a700 so you'll know if not going to be very accurate for fullframe. (A fullframe profile works just fine on APS-C - just not the other way around for rather obvious reasons.)

The 50 f 1.4 lens profile works fine on bodies other than the a900 and that's why new profiles no longer contain such a designation.

Adobe's lens profiles are now created from a computer lens test data supplied by Sony - just as they are with Canon, Nikon and others...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads