switching from a6000 > XT-1

Started Aug 3, 2014 | Discussions
Hans vdC
Hans vdC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,269
switching from a6000 > XT-1

I currently own a Sony a6000 with kitlens + Zeiss 24mm. Pretty good camera but since I have the RX100M3 for the 'take anywhere' solution, the fact that the Fuji is a bit bigger wouldn't bother me that much. I do feel the kitlens is kinda crappy on the a6000, the Zeiss is great but I can't always use a prime. I love the fast AF of the a6000 but from what I've read the Fuji is about the same.

I do like the pictures Fuji produces (friend has a X10 and I love the jpg's from it), the lens selection is great and from what I've heard the kitlens is very good too. So, do you guys think this would be a good switch for me? Taking into account that 90% of my photography is of my kids and family.

Hans vdC's gear list:Hans vdC's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X10 Sony a6000 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,153
Grass is always greener syndrome?

The two systems are neck to neck. None of them is perfect. One will come out with a better model, then few weeks or month later, the other one will beat it.

Fuji has a few better glasses, but you get more choices in the Sony camp with Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon/Samyang.

A6000 AF is more capable and sophisticate than X-T1. I expect X-T2 will change that. Then the A7 Mark II will be the one to beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha a7R II
PenPix Senior Member • Posts: 3,261
"Glass" is always greener syndrome?

Of course kittens are crappy to have on your camera, although they are very cute…  (Sorry! My brain is still asleep and I was misreading things  )

Seriously, they are both good cameras with good available glass.  I would choose the one that offers you a better user experience.

McQuestion
McQuestion Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Fuji X10

Hans von der Crone wrote:

I currently own a Sony a6000 with kitlens + Zeiss 24mm. Pretty good camera but since I have the RX100M3 for the 'take anywhere' solution, the fact that the Fuji is a bit bigger wouldn't bother me that much. I do feel the kitlens is kinda crappy on the a6000, the Zeiss is great but I can't always use a prime. I love the fast AF of the a6000 but from what I've read the Fuji is about the same.

I do like the pictures Fuji produces (friend has a X10 and I love the jpg's from it), the lens selection is great and from what I've heard the kitlens is very good too. So, do you guys think this would be a good switch for me? Taking into account that 90% of my photography is of my kids and family.

How often do you buy a new car?

Taking into account that 90% of your photography is kids and family, you already have more than enough cameras and lenses of a sufficiently high quality. The RX100M3 alone is plenty for photos of kids and family.

You should probably sell your A6000, 16-50mm (an amazing lens), and Zeiss, or give them to a photography school, where some student of photography who can't afford a camera can put that kit to good use. Limit yourself to the RX100M3 for the next two years, before you even look at another camera or lens. Learn how to fully use that camera. Figure out the JPEG settings, and adjust them so that they look just like your friend's Fuji X10.

Alternatively, sell the RX100M3 also, or donate it to charity, and buy a Fuji X10. Used, they cost about $300.

Save your money, invest it, or buy something for your family.

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Sony SLT-A37 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7S Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: Fuji X10

McQuestion wrote:

Taking into account that 90% of your photography is kids and family, you already have more than enough cameras and lenses of a sufficiently high quality. The RX100M3 alone is plenty for photos of kids and family.

You should probably sell your A6000, 16-50mm (an amazing lens), and Zeiss, or give them to a photography school, where some student of photography who can't afford a camera can put that kit to good use. Limit yourself to the RX100M3 for the next two years, before you even look at another camera or lens. Learn how to fully use that camera. Figure out the JPEG settings, and adjust them so that they look just like your friend's Fuji X10.

Alternatively, sell the RX100M3 also, or donate it to charity, and buy a Fuji X10. Used, they cost about $300.

In what world do you live to have determined that kids and family are less worthy of better camera gear and that the op can't put the A6000 system to good use if kids and family are the subjects?   Absurd....

McQuestion

Clayton1985 wrote:

McQuestion wrote:

In what world do you live to have determined that kids and family are less worthy of better camera gear and that the op can't put the A6000 system to good use if kids and family are the subjects? Absurd....

I'm reading the subtext.

He is the person that depreciates taking photos of kids and family in his post.

Personally, I think the A6000 is a great camera for family and kids. Nothing in the mirrorless class has that resolution, IQ, focus ability, portability, etc. But the OP doesn't like the A6000 for family photos. Why?

His profile says he has a Canon 5DIII, 24-105L. Yet, he has spent approximately $4,000 on equipment in the last six months that he is ready to dump. Why? Because his friend likes the JPEG from his two year old compact point and shoot that now sells for $300.

That is the world that all of us live in. And, yes, it is an absurd one.

I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. The A6000 is an amazing camera, and the 16-50 is not a "crappy" lens, and the Zeiss 24mm... The idea of dumping it and spending several thousand dollars more for an XT1 and companion glass, while all the while adding the qualifier "taking into account that 90% of my photography is of my kids and family" is nuts.

In fact, I think the original post was a intended as satire. It's a joke, plain and simple.

Sony SLT-A37 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7S Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

McQuestion wrote:

I'm reading the subtext.

Personally, I think the A6000 is a great camera for family and kids. Nothing in the mirrorless class has that resolution, IQ, focus ability, portability, etc. But the OP doesn't like the A6000 for family photos. Why?

His profile says he has a Canon 5DIII, 24-105L. Yet, he has spent approximately $4,000 on equipment in the last six months that he is ready to dump. Why? Because his friend likes the JPEG from his two year old compact point and shoot that now sells for $300.

I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic. The A6000 is an amazing camera, and the 16-50 is not a "crappy" lens, and the Zeiss 24mm... The idea of dumping it and spending several thousand dollars more for an XT1 and companion glass, while all the while adding the qualifier "taking into account that 90% of my photography is of my kids and family" is nuts.

In fact, I think the original post was a intended as satire. It's a joke, plain and simple.

You very well may be right that the OP (and probably most others on here including me) would be better served to save their money and buy something else besides different gear but the fact that the subjects are kids and family is irrelevant IMO.  You state in your comments above that the OP depreciates taking photos of kids and family... how?   Because 90% of his subjects are kids and family?   And your reply said "The RX100M3 alone is plenty for photos of kids and family."   Are you now saying that was only the OPs kids and family that the RX100M3 is plenty for or any kids and family?

There are plenty of photographers that turn out incredible work with their kids and family as subjects and plenty of photographers that turn out pitiful work with what you might consider a more worthy subject.    And the X-T1 with lenses is certainly not too good for photographing kids and family.

McQuestion

McQuestion wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

McQuestion wrote:

In what world do you live to have determined that kids and family are less worthy of better camera gear and that the op can't put the A6000 system to good use if kids and family are the subjects? Absurd....

I'm reading the subtext.

I apologize if I'm being too harsh, Hans. But I think this is the part of the story where the good angel taps you on the shoulder to remind you what is important in life. You have a lovely family, health, and abundant wealth that allows you to live like a king. Buying a new camera is not the solution for whatever longing you have.

If you have that kind of money to throw around, make a donation to a school in Africa or find a photography student who needs a patron benefactor. If you absolutely cannot resist the lure of the consumer prestige that goes with owning the XT1, by all means purchase it, but donate your A6000 to someone who will appreciate it and not look down on it.

Hans vdC
OP Hans vdC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,269
Re: some extra explanation

Guys

I'm not taking anything personally and if you'd read my posts in the NEX forum, you'll find that I'm a strong believer in the Sony system for AF performance etc and I always try to be constructive towards others. But my initial post might be a bit unclear which might have triggered some (understandable) reactions. So I'll try to elaborate a bit about why I posed this questions. This might be a bit long, but bear with me...

1) I have a 5D3 and some amazing glass, but since I dialed down the paid work for my photography (it became too much 'work' compared to 'joy') I rarely use it. Sure, the 5D3+70-200 takes amazing pictures, but I don't want to carry around that heavy thing any more. So it stays home WAY too much to keep it. I still have doubts if I need to sell it (don't exactly "need" the money), but I find it hard to justify to myself to keep such expensive gear only to be the owner of it...

2) ...so that's the reason I've been experimenting a bit with alternative gear for the last few months (might be a bit longer, nex5n was my first mirrorless). I'm looking for something less heavy, which gives me about the same IQ and performance of the SLR's I've been using for several years. And they ARE getting there (mind I've grown from a 10D>20D>40D>7D>5D3). The a6000's AF performance is very good, and the AF-C definitely is fantastic for kids once you get to know its workings.

3) The RX100M3 is just my 'take everywhere' camera. I'm not using it to compose or do something more creative, just snap pictures or hand it over to my wife and kids so I can be 'in the picture' a bit more without having to worry to get crappy pictures because it's a VERY nice compact. But it's (for me) just that, a compact. No competition to either a good mirrorless let alone a FF camera.

4) So why the question about the Fuji and the comment about the X10. First, I only mentioned the X10 because I loved the colour rendition and clarity of the JPG's the Fuji my friend owns produces. Of course it's older but if there's something I hear a lot from Fuji owners, it's how nice the colour and clarity from the JPG's is. This is something Sony has not mastered yet imo. But the X10 would not do it for me, it's just that there's "something" I seem to like about Fuji.

5) ...and that brings me to the Fuji XT-1 and the main reason I started to get interested in the Fuji system: they seem to have very nice ZOOM lenses with larger apertures, something which Sony lacks. I had the Sony 18-105G and the 16-70 but both were not 100% to my liking when it came to sharpness and colour. And after reading reviews about the 18-55F2.8-F4 Fuji offers, it almost "clicked". This, coupled with some nice primes, could be the ideal camera for me. Read: COULD, so that's why I'm asking advice.

To sum it up, I don't "hate" the a6000 or feel it's not suited for my needs APART from the fact that there are no zooms in the range/aperture I like, and the fact that the colour and (less so) jpg quality of Fuji somehow "grabs" me. More so than any Sony did until now.

Am I willing to just jump ship? No idea, but that's why I frequent these forums and see what I can make out of other peoples opinions. I'm not a brand-loyalist, I'm just someone who has been photographing for over 20 years and always look for that special thing. Am I a gearhead? Sure, and of course there's always something 'better' on the other side. Still, I love getting into discussions about these things, as long as everything is seen in the right perspective.

Hope this clears some things up.

Thanks for reading.

Hans vdC's gear list:Hans vdC's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Whitesands Regular Member • Posts: 318

Guys

I'm not taking anything personally and if you'd read my posts in the NEX forum, you'll find that I'm a strong believer in the Sony system for AF performance etc and I always try to be constructive towards others. But my initial post might be a bit unclear which might have triggered some (understandable) reactions. So I'll try to elaborate a bit about why I posed this questions. This might be a bit long, but bear with me...

1) I have a 5D3 and some amazing glass, but since I dialed down the paid work for my photography (it became too much 'work' compared to 'joy') I rarely use it. Sure, the 5D3+70-200 takes amazing pictures, but I don't want to carry around that heavy thing any more. So it stays home WAY too much to keep it. I still have doubts if I need to sell it (don't exactly "need" the money), but I find it hard to justify to myself to keep such expensive gear only to be the owner of it...

2) ...so that's the reason I've been experimenting a bit with alternative gear for the last few months (might be a bit longer, nex5n was my first mirrorless). I'm looking for something less heavy, which gives me about the same IQ and performance of the SLR's I've been using for several years. And they ARE getting there (mind I've grown from a 10D>20D>40D>7D>5D3). The a6000's AF performance is very good, and the AF-C definitely is fantastic for kids once you get to know its workings.

3) The RX100M3 is just my 'take everywhere' camera. I'm not using it to compose or do something more creative, just snap pictures or hand it over to my wife and kids so I can be 'in the picture' a bit more without having to worry to get crappy pictures because it's a VERY nice compact. But it's (for me) just that, a compact. No competition to either a good mirrorless let alone a FF camera.

4) So why the question about the Fuji and the comment about the X10. First, I only mentioned the X10 because I loved the colour rendition and clarity of the JPG's the Fuji my friend owns produces. Of course it's older but if there's something I hear a lot from Fuji owners, it's how nice the colour and clarity from the JPG's is. This is something Sony has not mastered yet imo. But the X10 would not do it for me, it's just that there's "something" I seem to like about Fuji.

5) ...and that brings me to the Fuji XT-1 and the main reason I started to get interested in the Fuji system: they seem to have very nice ZOOM lenses with larger apertures, something which Sony lacks. I had the Sony 18-105G and the 16-70 but both were not 100% to my liking when it came to sharpness and colour. And after reading reviews about the 18-55F2.8-F4 Fuji offers, it almost "clicked". This, coupled with some nice primes, could be the ideal camera for me. Read: COULD, so that's why I'm asking advice.

To sum it up, I don't "hate" the a6000 or feel it's not suited for my needs APART from the fact that there are no zooms in the range/aperture I like, and the fact that the colour and (less so) jpg quality of Fuji somehow "grabs" me. More so than any Sony did until now.

Am I willing to just jump ship? No idea, but that's why I frequent these forums and see what I can make out of other peoples opinions. I'm not a brand-loyalist, I'm just someone who has been photographing for over 20 years and always look for that special thing. Am I a gearhead? Sure, and of course there's always something 'better' on the other side. Still, I love getting into discussions about these things, as long as everything is seen in the right perspective.

Thanks for reading.

I can understand why you like what comes out of your friends camera...Personally, I prefer the look of "people photos" on the xt1...Not that the a6000 is bad by any means it's just that the xt1 is that good....I've tried them side by side and unprocessed images out of the xt1 are in my opinion in a different league...like you said they just grab you...

I say if you've got the money go for it...The fuji, at least for me is just so easy to use with all the controls right there, aperture ring right there, so easy to get perfect exposure almost every time....

Good luck with your decision

qhs232
qhs232 Forum Member • Posts: 87

Guys

Thanks for reading.

I have both the A6000 and XE-2. I always like to have a good quality kit focal length zoom to be a part of my bag, supplemented by a fast prime or two. I wasn't happy with the quality vs cost of the 16-70mm Zeiss, couldn't rationalize spending that much money for that lens. I initially thought the 18-105G would be a nice option...good quality (once distortion corrections applied) but just to big for me for a normal walk around kit.

This prompted me to look at other options, I had some store credit available and when coupled with recent discounts, I purchased a XE-2, 18-55mm, later supplemented by the 35mm 1.4 ($450.00 new).

There are many things I like in both the A6000 and XE-2, and each have their individual quirks, however, I couldn't pass up the XE-2/18-55.

I will keep both for the time being, using the Ricoh GR as my wide-angle,  and the Fuji/35mm as one option when I choose not to use to use the zoom. I'll need to see where/if the A6000/50 1.8 fits in.

qhs232's gear list:qhs232's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III
scarlet knight
scarlet knight Contributing Member • Posts: 589
Re: switching from a6000 > XT-1

I own both cameras. I just returned from a river cruise in central Europe with the Sony a6000 (and my wife/muse). I took it over my Nikon d3100 for weight savings. I was correct. Many others had monster SLRs with 18-200 or 300 lenses. Not fun when you walk 9, 10, 11 miles a day. Got great results from the a6000, particularly shaming SLRs at night.

I bought the Fuji upon my return. I used it at a family party and I will take it to a wedding next week. Right now, the a6000 is my point and shoot and the Fuji is for when I am serious. I will return to my Nikon when the novelty of my new cameras wears off.

I have always loved camera equipment. I like to learn new menus,  operating  systems and tricks. This board has always been helpful for tips! It's my hobby! I sell used equipment worth something, I give some equipment to siblings and their kids and some is junque. But I learn a lot, try to improve and encourage others.

I think people can own as many cameras as they want. I am loyal to the brand that produces the best equipment!

scarlet knight's gear list:scarlet knight's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Nikon D5500 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397

McQuestion wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

McQuestion wrote:

I'm reading the subtext.

I apologize if I'm being too harsh, Hans. But I think this is the part of the story where the good angel taps you on the shoulder to remind you what is important in life. You have a lovely family, health, and abundant wealth that allows you to live like a king. Buying a new camera is not the solution for whatever longing you have.

If you have that kind of money to throw around, make a donation to a school in Africa or find a photography student who needs a patron benefactor. If you absolutely cannot resist the lure of the consumer prestige that goes with owning the XT1, by all means purchase it, but donate your A6000 to someone who will appreciate it and not look down on it.

A, another liberal who thinks it's his job to tell others how much is enough.

happytraveller2 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: switching from a6000 > XT-1

I am in a similar situation, having switched from the Sony A6000 to the X-E1.    I was very disappointed with the quality of the Sony 55-210mm lens, and did not want to spend a fortune on Zeiss lenses.   Results from the Sony with a Sigma 30mm lens were good, but the zoom just was not good enough.  Loved the fast and accurate focus on the Sony, and found that it was quick and easy to use.   The lack of zoom lenses above 210mm was a negative factor though.

Now experimenting with the X-E1, and can already see how good the jpeg photos are (especially with the kit 18-55mm).  Video seems to be very poor though, something that might decide whether or not I keep the camera.  I do not want to be in the position of carrying the X-E1 AND a video camera.  It may turn out to be a difficult decision, high quality still photos and bad video, or lower quality still photos in a camera with good video.

About the only other option I can see is the Nikon D5200 or D5300, but equalling the quality of the Fuji kit lens is going to be difficult without spending another fortune.   There is no perfect camera, but that video quality question may be decisive.

So it will be interesting to see how others who have changed from an A6000 fare.   Bottom line is that the Fujis do have great image quality BUT.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads