K-30 vs K-50

Started Jul 30, 2014 | Discussions
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 5,813
K-30 vs K-50

Does the K-30 have in-camera focus adjustments like the K-50?

Is video in K-50 improved over K-30?

Viewfinders equivalent?

Thanks.

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 10,388
Re: K-30 vs K-50

I think the viewfinders are the same, but I cannot speak to the rest of your questions. My K-30 is a very good camera, and I will admit I have gotten rather fond of its odd looks. Would I replace it with a K-50 if it fell into the lake or got run over by a car?

Maybe? I am not planning to bother otherwise.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
Younes B Contributing Member • Posts: 959

yes, the K30 has in body AF micro adjustment.

Don't know about the difference in video though...

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
OP Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 5,813

Thanks.  This is one of the things (AF adjustment) steering me back to Pentax, plus the great implementation of using manual focus, non-automatic lenses. I expect K-30 isn't much less expensive than K-50, but that's where I'm looking first.

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,328

Maybe this is not a deciding factor for you.  But when I use Pentax lenses on my Pentax bodies, I find no micro-adjustment is necessary.   But all my Sigma lenses were in desperate need of it.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,266

Gesture wrote:

Thanks. This is one of the things (AF adjustment) steering me back to Pentax, plus the great implementation of using manual focus, non-automatic lenses. I expect K-30 isn't much less expensive than K-50, but that's where I'm looking first.

Go for it, if you get one at a good price. I recently bought a K30 second-hand, as a backup to my K5. It's very good, and because of its relative lightness and compactness, I find I often pick it up in preference to the K5. Can't tell the difference in terms of output. Sure, there are some features sacrificed, but not much, when it comes down to it. I'm aware of all the differences. The focus adjustment is what triggered it for me, in comparison with earlier lower-end cameras such as the K-x.

If you find the styling of the K30 a bit 'youthful', get a black one. It looks at a glance like any other camera.

-- hide signature --

tim
www.pbase.com/timotheus

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Nipan_51 Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

I am using 2 Pentax lenses:

The kit lens DAL 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 adjusted to +8  and the DA 35mm f/2.4 AL adjusted to -3.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads