Cloud Storage ...

Started Jul 30, 2014 | Questions
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,504
Cloud Storage ...

... I think this is probably the bane of all photographers in the modern era.

I have images dating back to 1979 (film scans) and digital images dating from 2001.

The issue is that if I simply look at my 'base' images and look at my edited images, then I am utilising a little less than 1.5 TB of disk space.

As of today, 1.47 TB and some 273,740 images. I currently have this backed up across three PC's and four x 3 TB HDD's.

At a minimum, I always keep four copies of everything but it is becoming a little ridiculous trying to preserve the integrity of all the images.

In the past twelve years, I have had some 25 HDD's fail. I still have them all. Why ? I have tens of thousands of client images and at least some 200,000 personal images and as some HDD's can be recovered I never send for warranty claim. Must be a real bonus for HDD manufacturers when folk don't send HDD's for warranty replacement.

Mind you, I have successfully recovered several HDD's.

These HDD failures range from 250 GB to 3 TB HDD's. The most disappointing thing is that in the past 18 months I have had 4 x 3 TB's fail, and two of those on the same day. At about USD 150.00 per HDD this soon adds up (price is based on where I live). 25 x 150 = $ 3,750

No names on the HDD manufacturer but suffice to say that they were all the same, and I have always bought the same.

And, yes, I have UPS's installed and also have synchronous backup software installed and also have the latest antivirus, malware, etc., packages installed.

So, my question is, where can I get reasonably priced cloud storage, of about 2 TB, and which is also from a reputable vendor ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Joe186
Joe186 Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Re: Cloud Storage ...

Are you using “enterprise class” drives?

-- hide signature --
John Marsh Regular Member • Posts: 351

Lloydy wrote:

So, my question is, where can I get reasonably priced cloud storage, of about 2 TB, and which is also from a reputable vendor ?

Check out Amazon S3; their archival class storage (Glacier) is a flat $10/TB/month.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?sc_channel=PS&sc_campaign=AWS_Free_Tier_2013_C&sc_country=US&sc_publisher=Google&sc_medium=b_core_storage_e-s3_pricing&sc_content=40951148202&sc_detail=Amazon%20s3%20pricing&sc_category=storage_CDN&sc_segment=s3&sc_matchtype=e

John

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,568
Before you commit to any one vendor . . .

You might want to read this article from Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dropbox-bug-deletes-8000-files-2014-7

I think, the man in question did do (or, did not do) some things that I might not have let slip if I had 'mission critical' documents.

That being said, the best online storage I've personally encountered is SalesForce, but that is not really an option for anyone other than a corporate environment. ($$$$$, lot's of $$$$$)

Now that I've retired, I've been pretty happy with Google Drive and reasonably happy with Box.com.  But I don't think their infrastructure really lends itself to mass backup and recovery operations of photos. None of them do, really.  They are fine for uploads and downloads of individual photos, but not really all that good for BU & recovery.  Even the ACDSee service ACDSee 365 isn't really all that good for BU.

-- hide signature --

I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old. . .
http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Lloydy
OP Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,504
Joe ...

... Thanks for the information.

I am not an IT Director/Administrator nor am I trying to keep abreast of all that happens in the IT world.

Simply, I am a photographer, with some knowledge of IT, who just wishes to keep his images intact.

So, based on what you have presented, one would have to ask the question as to why an IT company sells an inferior HDD to another.

I am not so concerned with the $$'s as I am concerned with data integrity. When I purchase an HDD with (for example) a five year warranty, I sort of expect to get five years use out of it.

Perhaps, silly me, I expect too much. Some last the distance, most don't. I have several HDD's which are 5 - 10 years old and they still work fine.

Anyway, choice of HDD's is a 'moot point' as all HDD's will fail. It's not 'if' but when.

What I am looking for is a cloud storage solution which is at a reasonable price and which may stand the test of time.

Joe186 wrote:

Are you using “enterprise class” drives?

Lloydy
John ...

... Thank you for the information and I will check this out. Sounds quite good.

John Marsh wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

Check out Amazon S3; their archival class storage (Glacier) is a flat $10/TB/month.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?sc_channel=PS&sc_campaign=AWS_Free_Tier_2013_C&sc_country=US&sc_publisher=Google&sc_medium=b_core_storage_e-s3_pricing&sc_content=40951148202&sc_detail=Amazon%20s3%20pricing&sc_category=storage_CDN&sc_segment=s3&sc_matchtype=e

John

Lloydy
Glen . . .

... I currently use Google Drive and also SkyDrive (name changed now) for some things but find neither has the capacity I seek, and not for the price I seek.

Mind you, the $$'s are not the driving force. Capacity is the driving force.

If I keep taking images at my current rate, and with the high mp cameras (raw) which I have now, then I will need 3 TB before I can blink.

My fundamental point is that I have lots of data and no-one seems to be able to take the capacity I require, at a reasonable price. I am sure many others are in the same situation.

Whilst I keep a minimum of four copies of all my images, this has already proved to be a 'disaster waiting to happen'. I have been lucky, to date, and have not lost any images. Almost though.

My GF (also a photographer) used to religiously backup all images to CD and then delete from her HDD. Won't mention the program, but it is a very good idea to check backup integrity immediately after a backup.

It wasn't until some six months after that we discovered that the backups were flawed. Needless to say, many images were lost. Lesson learned.

Glen Barrington wrote:

You might want to read this article from Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dropbox-bug-deletes-8000-files-2014-7

I think, the man in question did do (or, did not do) some things that I might not have let slip if I had 'mission critical' documents.

That being said, the best online storage I've personally encountered is SalesForce, but that is not really an option for anyone other than a corporate environment. ($$$$$, lot's of $$$$$)

Now that I've retired, I've been pretty happy with Google Drive and reasonably happy with Box.com. But I don't think their infrastructure really lends itself to mass backup and recovery operations of photos. None of them do, really. They are fine for uploads and downloads of individual photos, but not really all that good for BU & recovery. Even the ACDSee service ACDSee 365 isn't really all that good for BU.

K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,102

I use CrashPlan

It is a back-up tool that lets you back up local, to friends machine over the net to create your own cloud or to their cloud. Its less than $10 a month for unlimited cloud back up AND they will send you a HD to speed up the initial back up OR speed up recovery of the full lost data.

I have 1.2 TB backed up from my main data drive.. which is also in a Mirrored RAID pair.

I also have Win 8.1 file histories turned on.

• RAID takes care of single drive failures.
  • File History takes care of localized file accidents
  • Crashplan takes care of both Stupid User as it keeps a file history including versions of deleted files And it covers local disasters that take out machines flood, fire etc.

$5 a month for single PC or $9 a month for a family of 2-10 PCs.

https://www.code42.com/crashplan/

You need to edit the settings for memory by hand when you start to cross the TB barrier.. to increase the memory buffers.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Re: MyCloud Storage ...

You have an abnormal number of failures which leads me to believe that your drives are too hot, run 24x7, power cycled everyday, power spikes or brown outs, drives are move while spinning or magnetic fields. Or some other issue causing this problem. You could try drives other than consumer.

I have a WD My Cloud 4tb drive. It spins down when not being used. It can backup to another drive connected usb to it or over the network ore even to a cloud  account.

I have had 1 drive that failed, it was an IDE and I was able to extract all the data.

Even at 10 dollars a month, you could buy a new drive every year for that price.

Good luck, I am glad I don't have your problem. I have 3 , 1tb drive in a raid 0, from 8/2010 ,no issues. I am glad I don't have your problems

Lloydy wrote:

I have images dating back to 1979 (film scans) and digital images dating from 2001.

The issue is that if I simply look at my 'base' images and look at my edited images, then I am utilising a little less than 1.5 TB of disk space.

As of today, 1.47 TB and some 273,740 images. I currently have this backed up across three PC's and four x 3 TB HDD's.

At a minimum, I always keep four copies of everything but it is becoming a little ridiculous trying to preserve the integrity of all the images.

In the past twelve years, I have had some 25 HDD's fail. I still have them all. Why ? I have tens of thousands of client images and at least some 200,000 personal images and as some HDD's can be recovered I never send for warranty claim. Must be a real bonus for HDD manufacturers when folk don't send HDD's for warranty replacement.

These HDD failures range from 250 GB to 3 TB HDD's. The most disappointing thing is that in the past 18 months I have had 4 x 3 TB's fail, and two of those on the same day. At about USD 150.00 per HDD this soon adds up (price is based on where I live). 25 x 150 = $ 3,750

No names on the HDD manufacturer but suffice to say that they were all the same, and I have always bought the same.

And, yes, I have UPS's installed and also have synchronous backup software installed and also have the latest antivirus, malware, etc., packages installed.

kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,459

Amazon and Google are likely your best options.  They will be around for the long haul, they aren't pricing it in a way that is guaranteed to lose them money and put them out of business, and they are two among the top experts of cloud services.

I use Glacier, but have not done any restores.   Note that it's really built for archive service - you send it collections and can retrieve collections, not file by file.

As for your drive failures -  no question to be that failure rates are increasing, though usually these will show up early.   I've taken to putting the drive into use as a secondary mirror and insuring it functions for the month before I make it a primary use drive.

Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 13,710

Lloydy wrote:

I have no basic knowledge regarding using Cloud Storage so I have no comment regarding that subject except to say that I do not plan to trust my images to a service such as that.

The second comment is that you perhaps may need to review why you have such a HIGH occurrences of Hard Drive failures.  I have always considered that Heat is one of the most deadly concerns for any Hard Drive Brand.  I would be investing in some good thermometers plus somewhat better operational cooling for the Hard Drives.

There has to be a reason for the excessive failures......

Lloydy
KE Hoffman ...

... Many thanks for your response and I will certainly look into this.

K E Hoffman wrote:

I use CrashPlan

It is a back-up tool that lets you back up local, to friends machine over the net to create your own cloud or to their cloud. Its less than $10 a month for unlimited cloud back up AND they will send you a HD to speed up the initial back up OR speed up recovery of the full lost data.

I have 1.2 TB backed up from my main data drive.. which is also in a Mirrored RAID pair.

I also have Win 8.1 file histories turned on.

• RAID takes care of single drive failures.
  • File History takes care of localized file accidents
  • Crashplan takes care of both Stupid User as it keeps a file history including versions of deleted files And it covers local disasters that take out machines flood, fire etc.

$5 a month for single PC or $9 a month for a family of 2-10 PCs.

https://www.code42.com/crashplan/

You need to edit the settings for memory by hand when you start to cross the TB barrier.. to increase the memory buffers.

Lloydy
Richard ...

... Thanks for your response.

My HDD's are never turned off, as also are my PC's, and failures just happen. As they say, s**t happens.

My main PC is over five years old and still runs perfectly. The two newer ones are a little faster but don't have such good screens for editing, so I always fall back to the original.

Richard wrote:

You have an abnormal number of failures which leads me to believe that your drives are too hot, run 24x7, power cycled everyday, power spikes or brown outs, drives are move while spinning or magnetic fields. Or some other issue causing this problem. You could try drives other than consumer.

I have a WD My Cloud 4tb drive. It spins down when not being used. It can backup to another drive connected usb to it or over the network ore even to a cloud account.

I have had 1 drive that failed, it was an IDE and I was able to extract all the data.

Even at 10 dollars a month, you could buy a new drive every year for that price.

Good luck, I am glad I don't have your problem. I have 3 , 1tb drive in a raid 0, from 8/2010 ,no issues. I am glad I don't have your problems

Lloydy wrote:

Lloydy
KelpDiver ...

... Thank you for your response and I agree that Amazon and Google are the best bets. Last time I checked Google did not offer more than 1 TB

kelpdiver wrote:

Amazon and Google are likely your best options. They will be around for the long haul, they aren't pricing it in a way that is guaranteed to lose them money and put them out of business, and they are two among the top experts of cloud services.

I use Glacier, but have not done any restores. Note that it's really built for archive service - you send it collections and can retrieve collections, not file by file.

As for your drive failures - no question to be that failure rates are increasing, though usually these will show up early. I've taken to putting the drive into use as a secondary mirror and insuring it functions for the month before I make it a primary use drive.

Lloydy
Vernon ...

... Thank you for your response. I agree that heat is the major factor in HDD failures.

But, as I have aircon in the room I have the PC's in, and this costs a small fortune each month to keep running, I don't see that as factor.

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

I have no basic knowledge regarding using Cloud Storage so I have no comment regarding that subject except to say that I do not plan to trust my images to a service such as that.

The second comment is that you perhaps may need to review why you have such a HIGH occurrences of Hard Drive failures. I have always considered that Heat is one of the most deadly concerns for any Hard Drive Brand. I would be investing in some good thermometers plus somewhat better operational cooling for the Hard Drives.

There has to be a reason for the excessive failures......

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Re: Richard ...

Lloydy wrote:

... Thanks for your response.

My HDD's are never turned off, as also are my PC's, and failures just happen. As they say, s**t happens.

The just don't happen to me. I may be lucky, but more likely the way I use the drives is different to you but good luck.

My main PC is over five years old and still runs perfectly. The two newer ones are a little faster but don't have such good screens for editing, so I always fall back to the original.

Do your drives spin down and go to sleep when not in use then spin up when they are needed? That may add to the life of your drives. Easily configured on the computer. External drives have to have the feature.

Richard wrote:

I have a WD My Cloud 4tb drive. It spins down when not being used. It can backup to another drive connected usb to it or over the network ore even to a cloud account.

Lloydy wrote:

rebel99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025

Lloydy wrote:

i have not lost any drive that i used for storage in the last 15 yrs. however, i have lost may be 3 drives that i have used as "C" drive. so, i am not sure why your failed drives are so high. when you use a HDD for storage, the activity of the drive is very minimal, unless you delete the data on daily bases and then rewrite new data. i have numerous HDDs that i am using for years without failing one on me

cheerz.

TimBH New Member • Posts: 5

Try Smugmug.com

TimBH's gear list:TimBH's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
chillzatl Regular Member • Posts: 431

The options for consumer level cloud backup are numerous and many have already been listed here. if you're simply looking for an online backup of your backups, that's the way I would go. Keep it simple.

If you want enterprise class, you have Amazon, Google and Microsoft and Amazon is both the gold standard and the best from a pricing and features standpoint. The kicker is that they give you no software to facilitate the backup. The easiest option for that, IMO, is cloudberry. You can get a full backup solution or simply a drive mapper to the service of your choosing. By that it mean it will make your cloud storage solution of choice show up like a drive letter on your system and you can work with it in a way that is familiar to you. It makes for a great roll your own solution that still leverages the benefits that those cloud solutions have to offer. Another great benefit of these class services over the more consumer oriented ones is that if you have a lot of data you can send them an HDD with your data and they will copy the initial seed for you. It costs around $80 or so, but if you're working with a lot of data and have a limited pipe, it's the only way to go.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

Many moons ago I ran a national service center for a then major computer company. From time to time we'd see clients with abnormally high failure rates (especially of hard drives). We developed a "site audit" procedure whereby we would investigate the local environment looking for a root cause.

In almost 100% of cases we were able to find and identify the root cause.

Common issues were:

* Poor quality power

* Heating/cooling issues

* Dust or other contaminants

* Pests

* Vibration sources

So I would continue looking seriously for a common source to all those failures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads