What's the noise inside FZ1000?

Started Jul 30, 2014 | Discussions
XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,691
Re: What's the noise inside FZ1000?

I had an old Canon 60D, believe me or not, if you put your ear to the hot shoe in a quiet room, on my model anyway, there was a mild rumbling noise, i `am` telling the truth, honest, however, regarding the FZ1000, has anyone given the Gyro Sensor Motor a thought?

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
Maui Son New Member • Posts: 1

I have a new FZ1000 and just discovered the hiss/whirring/grinding from the camera mechanism that is put into every video when using the internal microphone.

The noise is continuous and unacceptable, especially in situations such as these: filming a quiet outdoor scene where there is occasional bird song; filming an interview; filming a single child at play in his room; filming a musical performance that has quiet moments (take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--zaoqebNQ); filming any scene in which there is not enough continuous ambient sound to mask the noise from the camera.

The “answer” of course is to use an external mic. I had planned to buy an external mic, but planned to use it only in occasional situations. But the FZ1000 forces you to pay $200 or so for a Rode Videomic or other, and worse yet, forces you to carry it with you and attach it whether you wish to or not.

As you can tell, I’m not a professional videographer -- simply an amateur who takes great care in shooting and editing personal videos. The FZ1000 is a wonderful camera in so many respects that I hate to discover this serious limitation.

I bought the camera from Amazon and will most likely, with great regret, return it.

LesGarten
LesGarten Regular Member • Posts: 267

Maui Son wrote:

I have a new FZ1000 and just discovered the hiss/whirring/grinding from the camera mechanism that is put into every video when using the internal microphone.

The noise is continuous and unacceptable, especially in situations such as these: filming a quiet outdoor scene where there is occasional bird song; filming an interview; filming a single child at play in his room; filming a musical performance that has quiet moments (take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--zaoqebNQ); filming any scene in which there is not enough continuous ambient sound to mask the noise from the camera.

The “answer” of course is to use an external mic. I had planned to buy an external mic, but planned to use it only in occasional situations. But the FZ1000 forces you to pay $200 or so for a Rode Videomic or other, and worse yet, forces you to carry it with you and attach it whether you wish to or not.

As you can tell, I’m not a professional videographer -- simply an amateur who takes great care in shooting and editing personal videos. The FZ1000 is a wonderful camera in so many respects that I hate to discover this serious limitation.

I bought the camera from Amazon and will most likely, with great regret, return it.

Very understandable.  Greek tragedy kinda flaw in an otherwise excellent Camera.  I love mine, but don't blame you for returning it.

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake

2stepbay Regular Member • Posts: 323

Maui Son wrote:

And perhaps a bigger fly in the ointment...if anyone wants to use an external mic, they'll need to use one that extends beyond the camera. Otherwise, a shorter external mic will also pick up the internal motor noise in scenes such as you described. Major fail on Panasonic's part.

2stepbay's gear list:2stepbay's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,877

Yup, as documented pretty thoroughly on this very thread, camera noise in quiet environments is an unavoidable issue.   If this was a concern, next time I'd avoid buying rather than buying it and saying "yep...as everyone said, it's a problem" and returning it.

There's some hope that a firmware release may mitigate it a little, like it did with the olympus em5, but I won't hold my breath.

Still a fantastic camera overall, though.

-- hide signature --
jrcade
jrcade New Member • Posts: 14

As I consider the FZ1000, I consider myself to be a photographer first and foremost, and a videographer second. I.e. I would likely use the camera for photography 80% of the time.

Is this noise issue so great, that someone like myself (who does not PLAN to shoot much video) should still be concerned about it? I emphasize PLAN because I've never had an SLR type camera with video capability, obviously not 4K, so the camera itself might inspire me to explore it more.

jrcade's gear list:jrcade's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II
LesGarten

jrcade wrote:

As I consider the FZ1000, I consider myself to be a photographer first and foremost, and a videographer second. I.e. I would likely use the camera for photography 80% of the time.

Is this noise issue so great, that someone like myself (who does not PLAN to shoot much video) should still be concerned about it? I emphasize PLAN because I've never had an SLR type camera with video capability, obviously not 4K, so the camera itself might inspire me to explore it more.

I knew this was a HUGE issue before I bought mine. But it obviously doesn't effect the Stills. It will not be a huge effect outside or at least not as much. It is irritating as hell inside in quiet environments and is unacceptable to me without a MIC. I knew this going in and was shopping MICs before I had even bought the Camera.

I was going to get a Stereo VideoMic Pro. But since most of my inside stuff will be youtube narrations, I got a much cheaper and pretty good Lavalier Mic for about $30-40.

If you are going to be shooting inside videos and don't plan to use a mic, expect to be really ticked off when you listen to your video.

There is the possibility of an external recorder as well, but I don't want to do that much goofing with Video, at least I don't presently.

IMO in it's Niche, this is the only Camera out there. Had there been a viable alternative out there, the Video noise would have kicked me elsewhere, it's that bad IMO.

Make your choice wisely Grasshopper...

My choice was to get the Flawed Camera and deal with It's flaws.  So to me the flaw was not fatal, but it was near fatal.

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake

RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,877

jrcade wrote:

I don't think it'll be an issue for you.    For casual use, it's only irritating in a very quiet environment since it autogains the audio up, amplifying the hum.   You can either adjust the gain of the mic to help mitigate or get an external mic.    If you're outside or at a family gathering, it won't be irritating and I'd venture to guess most viewers wouldn't notice it.

If you get upset when your equipment doesn't work perfectly in all conditions, it may bother you even if it's not noticeable.  If you're more pragmatic and not using it for interviews or quiet indoor scenes, then it's a superb camera that you'll be thrilled with.

-- hide signature --
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

It seems to me that video, 5 axis stabilisation and on camera microphones are just incompatible and that's the end of it. If people rush out to buy the latest do everything cameras crammed with all the current goodies on them at the same time then it is hardly surprising it all ends in tears.

RicksAstro wrote:

jrcade wrote:

I don't think it'll be an issue for you. For casual use, it's only irritating in a very quiet environment since it autogains the audio up, amplifying the hum. You can either adjust the gain of the mic to help mitigate or get an external mic. If you're outside or at a family gathering, it won't be irritating and I'd venture to guess most viewers wouldn't notice it.

If you get upset when your equipment doesn't work perfectly in all conditions, it may bother you even if it's not noticeable. If you're more pragmatic and not using it for interviews or quiet indoor scenes, then it's a superb camera that you'll be thrilled with.

Gerry Pasternack Veteran Member • Posts: 4,037
Living with FZ1000 Noise

In order to keep the camera noise as low as possible and still hear the ambient sound of the vid, what's a good starting value for the (built-in) Mic Level?  Limiter ON or OFF?

-- hide signature --

Gerry
Take a look at my photography at:
gerryp123.zenfolio.com

Gerry Pasternack Veteran Member • Posts: 4,037
Minimizing the Noise

In order to keep the camera noise as low as possible and still hear the ambient sound of the vid, what's a good starting value for the (built-in) Mic Level? Limiter ON or OFF?

-- hide signature --

Gerry
Take a look at my photography at:
gerryp123.zenfolio.com

1Kaleidoscope New Member • Posts: 1

I bought an FZ1000 a week ago and thought it was faulty so took it back and exchanged it - the new one makes the same noise and it is audible on the video recordings. I di e mail Panasonic and hey have said to reset the camera by using the [Reset] option in the SETUP menu and if that doesn't work try upgrading the firmware on the unit by going to the website below and following the instructions:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FZ1000/index.html

1Kaleidoscope wrote:

I bought an FZ1000 a week ago and thought it was faulty so took it back and exchanged it - the new one makes the same noise and it is audible on the video recordings. I di e mail Panasonic and hey have said to reset the camera by using the [Reset] option in the SETUP menu and if that doesn't work try upgrading the firmware on the unit by going to the website below and following the instructions:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FZ1000/index.html

Panasonic gave you erroneous information. What you are experiencing here is no different than what has been reported throughout this thread.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Handymuss Regular Member • Posts: 261

I have just read all of the comments.  Does everyone realize that just about any camera with an on-board mic will pick up any camera noise from either the camera or your hands?  I do understand the constant noise that may or may not be present on other cameras, however.  DSLR - you have to be very careful when you zoom, or when you use auto-focus because of the close proximity to the on-board mic picking up noise.

I totally understand the frustration from the noise, and for casual use, really understand the reluctance to purchase a shotgun mic.  HOWEVER.  The sound quality you will obtain from a Rode Video Mic Pro is outstanding, but it is pricey if you only intend to do video once in a blue moon. It is will worth the investment, once you hear the sound quality as opposed to the on-board mic quality.

Here is something else to consider.  Do you have a consumer camcorder?  You could also use the Rode on that too.  As long as it has a mic in, 1/8 jack you are good to go.  I also have a Canon SX-50 and purchased the Canon shotgun mic for that one, knowing full well you will get camera noise in the video, no matter what you do.

-- hide signature --

Terry G.

Handymuss's gear list:Handymuss's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D

Handymuss wrote:

I have just read all of the comments. Does everyone realize that just about any camera with an on-board mic will pick up any camera noise from either the camera or your hands? I do understand the constant noise that may or may not be present on other cameras, however. DSLR - you have to be very careful when you zoom, or when you use auto-focus because of the close proximity to the on-board mic picking up noise.

I had no problem with noise when using a FZ200...either with in-mic or short external mic. FZ1000 is quite different due to OIS system. Ironic that such a sophisticated camera would lack something as simple as a sound shield around the motor mechanism. My only remedy is to purchase an extended external mic if I want to record in a quiet environment. And that basically sucks!

LesGarten

Handymuss wrote:

I have just read all of the comments. Does everyone realize that just about any camera with an on-board mic will pick up any camera noise from either the camera or your hands? I do understand the constant noise that may or may not be present on other cameras, however. DSLR - you have to be very careful when you zoom, or when you use auto-focus because of the close proximity to the on-board mic picking up noise.

I totally understand the frustration from the noise, and for casual use, really understand the reluctance to purchase a shotgun mic. HOWEVER. The sound quality you will obtain from a Rode Video Mic Pro is outstanding, but it is pricey if you only intend to do video once in a blue moon. It is will worth the investment, once you hear the sound quality as opposed to the on-board mic quality.

Here is something else to consider. Do you have a consumer camcorder? You could also use the Rode on that too. As long as it has a mic in, 1/8 jack you are good to go. I also have a Canon SX-50 and purchased the Canon shotgun mic for that one, knowing full well you will get camera noise in the video, no matter what you do.

Depends on the DSLR. I also never noticed this much noise in my LX-5 which has stabilization or on my LX-7. I realize it's not the same mechanicals and the OIS on the FZ1000 is good. But it is excessive IMO.

My DSLRs(Nikon) had OIS in the lens and it was very very quiet. Of course focus and zoom is what it is. Everyone kind of expects that. But the FZ1000 just sitting still on a tripod is ridiculously noisy. You cannot turn it off, even when it is not needed.

If we don't complain it will never get better. We'll just continue to eat Chump Sammiches and ask for more please.

I was shopping for MICs even before I bought the camera.

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==

EcoPix
EcoPix Regular Member • Posts: 323

Well, okay, I've bought a video camera that makes a continual noise that records on the video. Great! No one mentioned that - not Panasonic, not the internet reviewers, not the camera salesman in the shop - no one! I work in the bush, and the noise is LOUD!

But remember this - the FZ-1000 has a serious, industrial-strength gyro stabiliser built into it that's as good as those big noisy gyros commercial film makers use. It's not some little Canon IS or Nikon VR thing for making stills with.

I know, because I've just done a helicopter shoot with an FZ-1000 in rough weather - low level, tightly turning, chasing flocks of birds, hovering in squally weather. And the video is smooth! Incredible!

So yes, very disappointing to have noisy video, but no wonder the gyro makes a noise. It's seriously good at what it's supposed to do. Which is why I bought the camera. If the stabilisers in my SLR lenses did what this one can do, I wouldn't have needed the FZ-1000.

So I guess we just accept the trade-offs. But it is disappointing it can't be turned off.

LesGarten

Ohhh, and one more thing, Panasonic, if you're going to make all that noise, put that great OIS in 4K mode as well...

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==

XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,691

I agree with Handymuss, i have used a Rhode mic since i had the FZ200 and now for my FZ1000, i find that the Rhode mic simply surpasses camera mics for quality, i love video work and would never use a camera mic anyway, so the FZ1000s noise does not bother me in the least, i prefer quality sound anytime! and the Rhode is the baby for that!

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
LesGarten

XVOYAGERX wrote:

I agree with Handymuss, i have used a Rhode mic since i had the FZ200 and now for my FZ1000, i find that the Rhode mic simply surpasses camera mics for quality, i love video work and would never use a camera mic anyway, so the FZ1000s noise does not bother me in the least, i prefer quality sound anytime! and the Rhode is the baby for that!

So you think it would be a big mistake for them to make it quieter and more isolated from the Mic?  Make the zoom motors quieter, make the focus quieter?  All those are not needed?  Feedback is what will make them do better. I Love the camera, it made me get rid of all my Nikon gear.  Since 1973 I had owned a continuous line of Pro Nikons, both terrestrial and Underwater to include the Spectacular Nikonus RS and it's Lenses.  Was going to get a Nikon 810 when I ran across this camera and have not looked back.

But IMO they have some to go on it, and the sound intrusion is an area they have a problem with, it's just a fact.  I don't understand the accept and not complain attitude.  I accepted the camera knowing it's weaknesses, I knew I would have to buy a MIC, but I'll for sure point out the issues with the noise.  I might complain a little about the tripod socket placement as well from time to time.  I sure shouldn't have to remove my Arca Swiss plate every freakin' day!

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads