What's the noise inside FZ1000?

Started Jul 30, 2014 | Discussions
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,445
Re: FZ200 too.

privateman wrote:

privateman wrote:

It's the first time ever I hear a camera make such a noise when it's obviously supposed to do nothing.

I must correct my statement. The FZ200 makes a similar sound, but barely noticable. At least I have *never* heard and noticed this before ...

Bigger likely means louder as well.  I wouldn't worry about it.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: What's the noise inside FZ1000?

More than one person has explained that it is doing something. Keeping the free floating sensor in position.

privateman wrote:

RicksAstro wrote:

For home use or if you are going to dub music or other tracks on it, it's no worry at all IMO.

Why it's not mentioned is that it really isn't that unusual or of a lot of concern.

Well, interesting. It's the first time ever I hear a camera make such a noise when it's obviously supposed to do nothing.

phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
My FZ200, FZ1000 and RX100 mark 3 all do it

The two FZ's internal sound has a harsher tone, but both are almost identical.

I don't have my RX10 anymore but my RX100 mark 3 has a similar but smoother humming in kind of a rolling motion too.

Interesting for sure.   I like them all just fine.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

privateman wrote:

Just had some minutes with my FZ1000, a quite large and bulky camera when coming from an FZ200.

There is a permanent noise coming from within the camera, sort of a grinding sound, and I cannot detect what it comes from and how to get rid of it. I'll have to try more setting but had no luck so far.

Might be some kind of motor working permanently, then probably wasting energy.

Anyone else with that sound and an idea how to stop it?

I believe, it's system hardware related sound some kind of motor running.

2stepbay Regular Member • Posts: 339

yonsarh wrote:

privateman wrote:

Just had some minutes with my FZ1000, a quite large and bulky camera when coming from an FZ200.

There is a permanent noise coming from within the camera, sort of a grinding sound, and I cannot detect what it comes from and how to get rid of it. I'll have to try more setting but had no luck so far.

Might be some kind of motor working permanently, then probably wasting energy.

Anyone else with that sound and an idea how to stop it?

I believe, it's system hardware related sound some kind of motor running.

That sound becomes amplified when using the internal microphone for video. Have a listen here.

Also, there has to be some degree of battery drain if that motor runs continuously. Very surprised this noise was not mentioned in the DP Review. And I do find it annoying when I am viewing a scene via the EVR. Sound is quite noticeable and distracting.
Not sure what function is being served by the motor running, however, seems the motor ought to run only when that mysterious function is activated during the course of taking a picture.

2stepbay's gear list:2stepbay's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more

It is interesting that so many posts here just completely ignore the explanation that the 5 axis system runs continuously when the camera is on even when stabilisation is iff. There will obviously be a painful repeat of the posting cycle when the first 5 axis camera the omd-5 came out.

A good example how functions are active when on even when doing nothing are the sigma primes for E mount and m43 which rattle when off but do not when the camera is on because the linear coil motors are always active.

Presumably running up the stabilisation when the shutter button is pressed would cause an unacceptable delay.

2stepbay wrote:

Not sure what function is being served by the motor running, however, seems the motor ought to run only when that mysterious function is activated during the course of taking a picture.

Robiro Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778
No need to worry

No need to worry. It is the optical stabilisation system. Turn it off and the camera should go silent.

Robiro's gear list:Robiro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,878
Re: No need to worry

Robiro wrote:

No need to worry. It is the optical stabilisation system. Turn it off and the camera should go silent.

No, it won't.   Again (has been mentioned several times on this thread), it is holding the lens assembly centered so it doesn't rattle around.

-- hide signature --
Aguolo New Member • Posts: 14

Nice (may I say) to see that i'm not the only one who noticed this problem.
Discovering this, i tested what i was using previously : a nex-5R
Here is a video : http://youtu.be/UXr4pjBab_0

The Nex is the first one, the FZ1000, the second (at 33s).
I've noticed on the NEX, the noise is not continuous, making it impossible to compensate with suitable software while, with the FZ1000's continuous noise, it could be possible to make a sound print and deal with this.

By the way, i tried plugging a zoom-h6 on the hot-shoe. Using the XY mic helps, but with the MS one, the noise is still recorded.

Aguolo's gear list:Aguolo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Panasonic LX100 Nikon D700 NEX5R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more

It is not really a problem for still photography which the camera is designed for and optimising it for this purpose can make it not ideal for video use. Video is only really a useful extra and for optimum results I would have thought a dedicated video camera is the best thing for video, the clue is in the name.

I just think it is unfair to portray these sort of things as a fault and expecting machinery to run in utter silence is unreasonable especially at this price level. In fact it does amuse me when people get in a state over noises emanating from their cameras so I must not complain. I had not noticed the noise my NEX 6 lenses made until someone was in a panic over it. Clicks in lenses really cause panic about imminent failure. I wonder if the silence of mobile phone cameras has changed people's expectations of operating sound.

Aguolo wrote:

Here is a video : http://youtu.be/UXr4pjBab_0

I've noticed on the NEX, the noise is not continuous, making it impossible to compensate with suitable software while, with the FZ1000's continuous noise, it could be possible to make a sound print and deal with this.

By the way, i tried plugging a zoom-h6 on the hot-shoe. Using the XY mic helps, but with the MS one, the noise is still recorded.

LesGarten
LesGarten Regular Member • Posts: 267

Robert Cannata wrote:

I am surprised that DPReview did not say anything about this noise issue in their review of the FZ1000.

Indeed!!  Nobody in any review mentioned this.

Goes to show the honesty of these reviewers.  You can't tell me none of then noticed it.  I now have to spring Serious $$$ on a MIC, because in any environment other than outside the noise is unacceptable and I don't see any fixing it by Menu tweaks.

On that note, I occasionally make videos where I am standing behind the camera doing a demonstration.  What would be a good MIC for that?  Is there a reasonable Lavalier that would be quiet for this?

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake

LesGarten

Greynerd wrote:

It is not really a problem for still photography which the camera is designed for and optimising it for this purpose can make it not ideal for video use. Video is only really a useful extra and for optimum results I would have thought a dedicated video camera is the best thing for video, the clue is in the name.

I just think it is unfair to portray these sort of things as a fault and expecting machinery to run in utter silence is unreasonable especially at this price level. In fact it does amuse me when people get in a state over noises emanating from their cameras so I must not complain. I had not noticed the noise my NEX 6 lenses made until someone was in a panic over it. Clicks in lenses really cause panic about imminent failure. I wonder if the silence of mobile phone cameras has changed people's expectations of operating sound.

Aguolo wrote:

Here is a video : http://youtu.be/UXr4pjBab_0

I've noticed on the NEX, the noise is not continuous, making it impossible to compensate with suitable software while, with the FZ1000's continuous noise, it could be possible to make a sound print and deal with this.

By the way, i tried plugging a zoom-h6 on the hot-shoe. Using the XY mic helps, but with the MS one, the noise is still recorded.

If you don't complain about the noise, then you get to live with it forever.

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake

Robert Cannata Regular Member • Posts: 111

I've had my FZ1000 for two weeks and a day, and I've been talking to the Panasonic Support folks for two weeks about this issue.  So far just talk, and their request for me to send samples demonstrating the sounds my camera is making.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Robert Cannata's gear list:Robert Cannata's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50

Robert Cannata wrote:

I've had my FZ1000 for two weeks and a day, and I've been talking to the Panasonic Support folks for two weeks about this issue. So far just talk, and their request for me to send samples demonstrating the sounds my camera is making.

I suspect these Panny support types all wear hearing aids. Seems ludicrous they need samples. Just ask them to pick up a camera in a quiet room and listen...they must have at least 1 FZ1000 in their possession despite current popularity/demand.

The sound is a distinct noise, especially in more quite conditions. And it's on-going presence indicates something is running inside continuously...ergo...battery drain. Perhaps a "battery drain" thread here is in the offing.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more

Finally, based on France's FNAC's 2-week"satisfied or refunded" policy, i brought back my FZ1000 today. I brought a tablet, a headphone, and enough videos just to show/inform them on the lens/sensor/IS...'s noise this camera records, especially in interview sessions plenty of quiet moments.
For plenty of people, this will not be any problem but for me, it's an absolute no-no.
I've tried plenty of things (using an external mic, playing with the audio plugin of Premiere Pro), but since i didn't have the time nor the patience and nor the will to have my rushes post-corrected, i've decided just to give the camera back.

I was really willing to have it exchanged but this camera disappeared from the market in less than a week. Great success.

I havn't therefore been able to check if MY noise was everybody's noise, but for what i've seen here and there online, it seems it's a common problem.

It reminds me of the first NEX with there click sound recorded when moving them...
and it makes me think also about the GH4 and its "buzz" which, as far as i know, should be corrected by now.

At the end of the day, my main use for FZ1000 was shooting 4K. Now, i just think about adding another 1000€ (european prices :/) and go for the GH4 : Larger FOV, plenty of lenses (got a nice nikon collection), better performance, more... pro!!! I'll just wait a bit make sure everything's fine with this model too.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Panasonic LX100 Nikon D700 NEX5R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more

Agreed! Curious if DSLR's are noisy too???

LesGarten

2stepbay wrote:

That's a broad question and I'm only referring to this Camera since that's the one I own.  My LX5 is dead silent of course.

But the Engineers knew of this you can be sure and released it like this anyhow.

-- hide signature --

==Les Garten==

LesGarten wrote:

2stepbay wrote:

That's a broad question and I'm only referring to this Camera since that's the one I own. My LX5 is dead silent of course.

But the Engineers knew of this you can be sure and released it like this anyhow.

I think the main issue with recent cameras is the continuous focus.
With DSLRs, up until recently making videos forced you to use manual focus. Not very confortable but that's the cinema way.
Mirorless cameras then arrived on the market. And as compact camera, they aim, for a large part of their market, at enthusiast photographers willing to have quality while keeping the automatism (auto/semi-auto focus...) of the pocket cameras they're used to. Continuous focus, stabilization, a nice but dangerous mix, especially on a very competitive market where you need to keep low prices.

Of all the cameras i owned with some kind of I.S (hx9v, 550D, Nex-5R), FZ1000 has been by far the noisiest. I think this may be due to a need for some extra efforts from the focus/IS motors of the lens, and the fact that its sheer size and plastic material make it a kind of sound box, making it worse.

bimbobo Regular Member • Posts: 204

Well it seems that a new firmware will not help, as it's not a software issue.

Then we already have to wait for "release 2" of the camera, where they hopefully will solve the noise issue.

-- hide signature --

Ignorant photograph beginner

XVOYAGERX
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,691

I think the noise is being generated by the Gyro Sensor Motor, just a thought folks.

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic GH5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads