What's the noise inside FZ1000?

Started Jul 30, 2014 | Discussions
privateman
privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702
What's the noise inside FZ1000?

Just had some minutes with my FZ1000, a quite large and bulky camera when coming from an FZ200.

There is a permanent noise coming from within the camera, sort of a grinding sound, and I cannot detect what it comes from and how to get rid of it. I'll have to try more setting but had no luck so far.

Might be some kind of motor working permanently, then probably wasting energy.

Anyone else with that sound and an idea how to stop it?

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,584
Quick AF?

As posted in a similar thread, "FZ1000 has a big problem for video guys"

Hatstand wrote:

Is Quick AF turned on? (camera will continuously autofocus even when you're not doing anything - it's not the same thing as AFC or AFF)

Is it any quieter if you switch to manual focus?

Worth checking if that's the culprit, - and I.S. would make it worse, I guess.

phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
It's not Quick AF.

Hatstand wrote:

As posted in a similar thread, "FZ1000 has a big problem for video guys"

Hatstand wrote:

Is Quick AF turned on? (camera will continuously autofocus even when you're not doing anything - it's not the same thing as AFC or AFF)

Is it any quieter if you switch to manual focus?

Worth checking if that's the culprit, - and I.S. would make it worse, I guess.

Mine is turned off and it's still humming and grinding along

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
privateman
OP privateman Contributing Member • Posts: 702
Re: Quick AF?

As far as I see there is no mode available for the camera's autofocus to work without pressing the shutter button.

However I'll try that switch once again.

RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,878
IS system

privateman wrote:

Just had some minutes with my FZ1000, a quite large and bulky camera when coming from an FZ200.

There is a permanent noise coming from within the camera, sort of a grinding sound, and I cannot detect what it comes from and how to get rid of it. I'll have to try more setting but had no luck so far.

Might be some kind of motor working permanently, then probably wasting energy.

Anyone else with that sound and an idea how to stop it?

It sounds just like the OMD EM5 when it came out.   It's the IS system either moving the lens assembly or, if IS is off, keeping it centered.   If you turn IS off, the noise is decreased a little and is consistent which is how I reached the conclusion I did.

Olympus released a firmware upgrade which decreased the noise a bit, particularly for the centering case...maybe Panny could do the same?

If you notice with the camera off and you move it around, you can hear the IS assembly "thump" inside.   Once you power it on, even if IS is off, there is no thump.

Given my initial impressions on the effectiveness of the IS, I'd endure the noise for better IS any day.   Ideally, we can have both though.

-- hide signature --
Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,584

privateman wrote:

As far as I see there is no mode available for the camera's autofocus to work without pressing the shutter button.

"Quick AF", p148 in the FZ1000 manual.

The camera will autofocus continuously, without pressing or half-pressing the shutter button, so that when you want to shoot... focus is "already there" (or very close)

It appears from the other posts, that this is not the cause of the noise - but you might want to turn it off anyway, to save battery.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: What's the noise inside FZ1000?

Part is OIS and part is likely another lens-related noise. With at least one lens my GH4 makes a similar (but softer) sound -- and there, too, it is attenuated by disabling OIS on that lens. That lens is the 14-140 II (which from the manual Panasonic regards as a kit lens for the GH4).

I just tested the GH4 with 12-35 & 35-100 lenses. The former is the most quiet of the three; the latter is about the same as the 14-140 II

If the audio is important to the video, the likely solution is an external mic mounted on the hot shoe; most videographers don't use the internal mic of the GH4. Often the audio is not important (e.g, if the plan is to use music as a background or if you're shooting 4K so you can grab 8 mp frames).

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,443

privateman wrote:

The QuickAF option forces the camera into a continuous AF mode that is intended to keep the focus near the actual so when you press the shutter any focus travel should be at a minimum, if needed. It doesn't mean that you don't need to press the shutter to focus - just that it should be reasonably close already when you do. Coupling QuickAF - which has been available on previous FZ models - with the new DFD focus technology should provide for some seriously quick AF.

With the FZ150/200 I find that QuickAF works best when the camera is fairly stable and held up to the eye, but less so when pulling the camera up to the eye for a quick snap as QuickAF would have been focusing where the camera was pointed at rest rather than towards/near the desired subject.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Robert Cannata Regular Member • Posts: 111

I am surprised that DPReview did not say anything about this noise issue in their review of the FZ1000.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Robert Cannata's gear list:Robert Cannata's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236

privateman wrote:

Actually I use the back button for AEL and EFL, so you can use the back button. But thats not the noise.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
privateman

Hatstand wrote:

"Quick AF", p148 in the FZ1000 manual.

It appears from the other posts, that this is not the cause of the noise - but you might want to turn it off anyway, to save battery.

You are right about QuickAF, but switching On and Off has no effect on that noise.

I found out that switching OIS off will reduce the noise a tiny little bit. But no chance to get rid of it.

Btw I found an option to autofocus when approaching the EVF. That's nice. And an EVF that switches on automatically itself is nice. There seem to be so many useful improvements over the FZ200.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

Robert Cannata wrote:

I am surprised that DPReview did not say anything about this noise issue in their review of the FZ1000.

I don't think they really test video in a serious way. In the case of the GH3 they had the EOS-HD folks do the video review, I believe.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV

As far as I can tell, none of the other online camera review sites have mention this internal sound issue. Is it because their cameras did not have the problem?

Does anyone out there have a camera that is quiet when in the record mode?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
RicksAstro

Robert Cannata wrote:

As far as I can tell, none of the other online camera review sites have mention this internal sound issue. Is it because their cameras did not have the problem?

Does anyone out there have a camera that is quiet when in the record mode?

You have to be in a quiet place where the mic autogains to record the faint hum.  I doubt if most casual users would even notice.

It is actually quieter than the OMD EM5 was and isn't alarmingly loud by any means.   If you were doing, say, an interview in a quiet room it could be annoying between talking.

I doubt if it would be heard with an external mic, which most serious videographers would use in cases like that.

For home use or if you are going to dub music or other tracks on it, it's no worry at all IMO.

Why it's not mentioned is that it really isn't that unusual or of a lot of concern.

-- hide signature --
privateman

RicksAstro wrote:

For home use or if you are going to dub music or other tracks on it, it's no worry at all IMO.

Why it's not mentioned is that it really isn't that unusual or of a lot of concern.

Well, interesting. It's the first time ever I hear a camera make such a noise when it's obviously supposed to do nothing.

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,443

Have you tries Silent Mode to see if that helps? Even for Silent Mode the manual states the following disclaimer:

• Operational sounds of the camera, such as the sound of the lens aperture being adjusted, are not muted.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more

No change in the sound characterics with the silent mode enabled.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
privateman

kkardster wrote:

Have you tries Silent Mode to see if that helps?

Yes, no help with Silent Mode.

privateman
FZ200 too.

privateman wrote:

It's the first time ever I hear a camera make such a noise when it's obviously supposed to do nothing.

I must correct my statement. The FZ200 makes a similar sound, but barely noticable. At least I have *never* heard and noticed this before ...

RicksAstro
Re: FZ200 too.

privateman wrote:

privateman wrote:

It's the first time ever I hear a camera make such a noise when it's obviously supposed to do nothing.

I must correct my statement. The FZ200 makes a similar sound, but barely noticable. At least I have *never* heard and noticed this before ...

Once it's pointed out, you notice it for a while, people break out the pitchforks in the forums and about a month later people forget about it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads