Pentax Canada Service Center Change (Bad News?)

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Discussions
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 37,053
Pentax Canada Service Center Change (Bad News?)

Alright, now that Ricoh has taken over Pentax the Canadian service center is no longer at the 1770 Argentia offices in Mississauga. All camera servicing and I'd assume lens servicing too has been moved to a third party company called Sun Camera Service on Steeles just East of Keele in Concord Ontario. I found this out from a friend of mine who may be having focus issues with the K-3. He contacted them offered to send along photos showing the issue, they didn't want such photos, he also wanted to send along an explanation of the problem but they said they didn't care. They will only be checking to see if the camera matches the Ricoh standards and expectations. I suspect this means a few quick tests that will never show the faults some of the more experienced photographers can turn up. You send them a camera that isn't working quite 100% and they may likely send it back to you stating its within expected parameters. The original Pentax service staff is still training the Sun Camera staff also.

This does not sound good for tracking down issues with new cameras, especially if the issue only shows up with a little more involved use of the camera over and above generic standard tests.

Now I also haven't used their service yet and maybe my friend got a guy on the phone who was having a bad day but I'll certainly be watching out for lack of help and care from this third party company.

Reviews are mixed

https://plus.google.com/111288793606646650611/about?hl=en&gl=ca

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,995
Re: Pentax Canada Service Center Change (Bad News?)

I agree Mike that this doesn't sound like good news.  Hopefully it works out better than it appears at first glance.

Dale

Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 5,880

Keep us posted.  I hope Ricoh doesn't drop the service ball.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,934

Pentax / Ricoh Imaging subcontracts its services all over the world, I don't think this is an issue. The Canadian sub is well experienced and services a number of other brands. They are no doubt well equipped and experienced, I fear not.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Younes B Contributing Member • Posts: 956

No need for an explanation of the problem, no need to send pictures : doesn't look good if that is their general service guidelines....

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
smafdy Regular Member • Posts: 494

Only 3 reviews — 2 glowing, and one calling them a-holes. Not much to go on.

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,383

In Hong Kong over the years I've had cause to send in a K10D (wonky viewfinder) and my K-5 (twice, both times for sensor stains). The servicing provider is through a company called Jebsen. They steadfastly refused to accept my photos (I had plenty showing the sensor stains!) or my pre-typed explanations of what was wrong. Instead, the service guy fills out a form on which there is a small section in which he writes, in about 10 words, his interpretation of what I've told him is the problem.

So I would classify this as 'business as usual', sadly.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
mike100z Junior Member • Posts: 28

I hope this is not typical for the future.  I sent the 16-50 I purchased in late 2010 in for its second SDM failure (one on warranty- one off warranty).  It was sent to service at Pentax Canada in the first week of May from our local camera store (a pentax dealer).  It has now been a few days short of three months and I am still waiting for the lens.

mike100z Junior Member • Posts: 28

Bad news.  Last week I was told the that Pentax had reported my lens was "in transit".  Now the truth comes out,  my lens has not been worked on in the 12 weeks it is in the shop and is still awaiting a motor to replace the defunct SDM.  Shoddy Ricoh,  Simply Shoddy.  If this is the service we can expect in Canada I don't know why anyone would buy a Ricoh product.

OP MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 37,053

mike100z wrote:

Bad news. Last week I was told the that Pentax had reported my lens was "in transit". Now the truth comes out, my lens has not been worked on in the 12 weeks it is in the shop and is still awaiting a motor to replace the defunct SDM. Shoddy Ricoh, Simply Shoddy. If this is the service we can expect in Canada I don't know why anyone would buy a Ricoh product.

Keep in mind problems like these plague every company... its not fair at all but it happens on occasion

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Michael Piziak
Michael Piziak Regular Member • Posts: 435

They should have at least said they'd take a look at the photos (but don't expect them back) and they'd read the explanation - even if they didn't intend to do either and think they can fix the camera by comparing it to standards.

Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
bduncan Contributing Member • Posts: 566

We (Canadians) knew the move was coming..   Let's wait and see what the results are before making any judgement calls however..  The long wait times of the one respondent may have been due to the transition woes which are understandable as well.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Bill, Toronto, Canada

bduncan's gear list:bduncan's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
22codfish
22codfish Contributing Member • Posts: 649
I Want A Local Authorized Pentax Service Center in Nova Scotia Again

Hi! Mike This Nova Scotian Pentax service center was closed a long time ago when Pentax decided all warranty repairs had to be made by themselves in Toronto.   Now there is less Pentax advertising here; and no new Pentax shooters because local retailers have quit stocking Pentax slr's.  David and Wes are still here for advice and maintenance, but I would think a combination sales and warranty center would also renew Pentax activity in our metro area. I wouldn't worry too much if Pentax farms out their warranty work to a few selected locations across Canada again.

22codfish's gear list:22codfish's gear list
Pentax Optio M10 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +6 more
Phixer323
Phixer323 Contributing Member • Posts: 735

One of the problems is getting parts into any country from another. I recently had a K5 repaired that needed a shutter motor (after the shutter and aperture had been replaced). My US repair center needed to order the part from Japan which entailed the whole customs deal which delays deliveries. The camera was down for a few weeks longer than anticipated. This wasn't really due to anything other than getting the part. I got the camera back yesterday and it is working great. Sometimes things happen, however I know its hard to have patience and I had to make do with some workarounds.

Phixer323's gear list:Phixer323's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Tom__Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Photgraphy gear is mostly disposable, anyway

I recall sending my K100D and DA40L in to Pentax Service, some years ago. It wasn't focusing properly. You know, just like 100% of K100Ds.

They kept it for six months and returned it with a note saying it was working properly.

Thankfully, RiceHigh shared the service menu secret so I was able to correct the issue myself.

Meanwhile, I came to Pentax from Canon. I left Canon because of bad service. I had a 20D that had a broken battery door. It was fairly new so I sent it in. It was returned with a repaired door but otherwise DOA. When I contacted them, they told me to send it in for an estimate. The camera was less than a year old so I dropped it in the dust bin and picked up a K100D.

Shame on everyone, including myself, who does not hold camera maker's feet to the fire. I should have taken Canon to small claims court and made them fix their crap.

It's tough to trust. As best I can tell, the only imaging vendor with after sale integrity is Sigma (In Canada, at least).

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +6 more
Azzy Regular Member • Posts: 283

I've dealt with sun camera a couple times because their service cost was cheaper than Pentax though the experience was less than stellar.

I dropped my da 12-24 few years ago and needed the barrel to be replaced. Sun Camera told me that it'll take 1 week to complete. It ended up to be almost 2 mths.

Excuse was part shortage due to floodong in Thailand. Lens was fixed perfectly but a courtesy call would've been nice since they gave me 1 week timeline

My 2nd encounter was to service a f*300 4.5 I bought from other forum. The lens was soft wide open compared to other copies I've seen.

Since it's an old lens I gave them my expectations clearly "to inspect the lens first and if the lens can't be fixed/restored so it's as sharp as it should be then don't bother"

They called me back and told me that their technician looked it over and they're confident that they can fix it.

When i got the lens back theservice note only says CLA has been done and the lens is just as soft.This goes back and forth couple times i event sent my body in to make sure that its not focus issue o n their insistence even though I already tested it with MF.

Their excuse was this lens was optimized for film not digital...

I wanted to talk to the technician and they finally revealed that they don't even have pentax technician, rather its just an indipendent contractor who is familiar with Pentax...

Ii was fuming at this point and demanded my money back but they refused to. They offered me 50 bucks back, being tired wasting my time dealing with them i took it and swore off using their service again. This was few years back so things might have changed but for a company that "guaranteed" satisfaction their behaviour was unnaceptable

-- hide signature --

My website and portfolio: http://luwindo.com/

sentro Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

What I find annoying is the customer care support hours. I used to be able to call and talk to them on Sat and Sun...this is no longer the case....Mon thru Friday only. That sucks. Just another little cut in their customer service.

sentro Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

Looks like the location changed for the us also. Now it's Precision Camera in Enfield, Ct. I tried called to get some additional info but the phone kept on ringing....

Holger Bargen Senior Member • Posts: 2,291

In Germany the Service Center is a private company since years. It is a company that also works for Canon and Tamron and their service is quite good. For a professional service they are not quick enough - but the quality of their work is very good.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
MJSfoto1956 Contributing Member • Posts: 559

LOL -- go to Precision Camera "estimator" and choose Pentax. The K-3 is not listed. Doesn't build confidence if you ask me.

Michael

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 II Adobe Photoshop CS6 DxO Optics Pro Elite +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads