D8X0 Camera Wear & Tear?

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Discussions
AM4L
AM4L Senior Member • Posts: 2,733
D8X0 Camera Wear & Tear?

The D800 and D800e have been out there a while and I am curious if previous D700 owners feel like their D8X0 bodies wear more easily? I am asking about nicks, scratches, ect.

Your honest feedback is appreciated as the housing on my D810 seems less durable than my D700.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Gallery BLOLG - www.roaringstar.com
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

AM4L's gear list:AM4L's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +29 more
SangYuP Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: D8X0 Camera Wear & Tear?

AM4L wrote:

The D800 and D800e have been out there a while and I am curious if previous D700 owners feel like their D8X0 bodies wear more easily? I am asking about nicks, scratches, ect.

Your honest feedback is appreciated as the housing on my D810 seems less durable than my D700.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

My D800 is a little under 2 years old and it is still in pristine condition.  I take really good care of my equipment but to me it seems the same as my 7 year old D300 which I also took good care of and the only thing I have is a tiny faint scratch on the CF card door which is hardly noticeable.  When you say the housing seems less durable, what exactly do you mean?  Like I said, I don't notice any difference between my D300 and D800.

SangYuP's gear list:SangYuP's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 +18 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,367

AM4L wrote:

Your honest feedback is appreciated as the housing on my D810 seems less durable than my D700.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

Hi Mark,

I use the D800 since March 2012 although not as my main camera but still at a regular basis since the start I bought it (2 or 3 times a week for at least a couple of hundred images and short movie clips)

The wear I notice is the main grip rubber (I'm on my second now) the paint on the plus button (zoom in) is gone and the multi selector is squeaking a bit when moving around. Besides this the AF-ON button got a bit lesser 'punchy' so to say. Temperature differences seem to be the problem in relation to the rubber. Several Japanese colleagues of me replaced the rubber on their D800 as well, some more than the one time I did.  The camera is since day one functioning well and i had with the exception of the rubber replacement not any kind of replacement

The D700 I used was an old demonstration model of Nikon, so it went through many many hands before I used it. I also had to replace the rubber, for the rest nothing. The paint on the buttons of the D800 seems to be lesser to hold. I'm also not the only one who has a button without marking. I have never seen or heard that this is also the case with the D700. Also My D3S (which is older than my D800) has not any sign of paint wear on the buttons.

If you say 'I feel the D700 is better constructed than my D810' than I can feel with you. I had the same feeling when I started using the D800. Out of experience the D800 is very well constructed, don't worry about that.

Michel

AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563

AM4L wrote:

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

They share the same structural build quality and materials, the "wear", while dependent on many individual use factors, would affect each body exactly the same.  The DXXX bodies are some of the best made cameras around from a structural perspective, certainly better than the 5DM3 (which has added metal pieces like a D7000 or D600), and are built like a baby D4 or 1DX for the most part.

It's possible they used different or cheaper rubber, or something like that, but nothing that I have seen or noticed.  The actual build quality is identical according to all information I have seen so far.

SangYuP Regular Member • Posts: 447

M Lammerse wrote:

AM4L wrote:

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

Hi Mark,

I use the D800 since March 2012 although not as my main camera but still at a regular basis since the start I bought it (2 or 3 times a week for at least a couple of hundred images and short movie clips)

The wear I notice is the main grip rubber (I'm on my second now) the paint on the plus button (zoom in) is gone and the multi selector is squeaking a bit when moving around. Besides this the AF-ON button got a bit lesser 'punchy' so to say. Temperature differences seem to be the problem in relation to the rubber. Several Japanese colleagues of me replaced the rubber on their D800 as well, some more than the one time I did. The camera is since day one functioning well and i had with the exception of the rubber replacement not any kind of replacement

The D700 I used was an old demonstration model of Nikon, so it went through many many hands before I used it. I also had to replace the rubber, for the rest nothing. The paint on the buttons of the D800 seems to be lesser to hold. I'm also not the only one who has a button without marking. I have never seen or heard that this is also the case with the D700. Also My D3S (which is older than my D800) has not any sign of paint wear on the buttons.

If you say 'I feel the D700 is better constructed than my D810' than I can feel with you. I had the same feeling when I started using the D800. Out of experience the D800 is very well constructed, don't worry about that.

Michel

That's interesting as the rubber grip on my D800 and D300 are both fine and have never been replaced.  The paint on the buttons are still okay as well and I use the AF-ON button all the time I would expect that button to show the most wear but it's still good.  The oil/sweat from each person is different so maybe that affects it as well?

SangYuP's gear list:SangYuP's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 +18 more
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 1,955

No peeling of grip and or fading of button lettering on my D800 after a year of normal usage. I do take care of my equipment, but it seems the D8XX line can take some abuse and I'm not too worried.

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon 1 J4 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 8,680

I can't speak for the 810 as I don't own one yet (and it's too new to judge for longevity anyway), but my early production run d800E has seen similar (or harder) use than my d700 did and from an external wear & tear point of view, I can't say it's any different. Holding up just fine.

-m

FloEvans Regular Member • Posts: 215

I managed to scratch the pop up flash cover pretty good crawling around in concrete caves in the city museum.

Richard Spangler Contributing Member • Posts: 913

I feel the build quality of the D810 is just as good if not better than the D800 I had. The memory card door is an upgrade. Nothing creaks or squeaks at all on the camera. I’ve seen a few posts where people see its made in Thailand and automatically say the build quality isn’t as good as made in Japan. The materials are the same and the standards of the factory’s are the same under Nikons standards.

Roland Wooster Senior Member • Posts: 2,092

I've had my D800E 21 months, ~35K images taken thus far. I have had to have the joystick button/controller replaced once as it wore out through massive amount of use in reviewing, zooming around etc, this was done under warrantee within the first 12 months. The grips are starting to slide, but that's a common problem, it seems that to optimize the grips for feel they suffer from stretching or the glue behind them slides if used in hot conditions. My D200 had it's grips replaced 3 times over a period of 7 years. This may also be made worse by holding the camera, rather than the lens with large lenses like the 70-200 F2.8, as that obviously would put quite a bit of strain on the rubber grips. My D800E seems to be trending on a very similar path as the D200 in this respect (actually it's possibly slightly improved). Paint and labeling seem highly durable I've not seen any wear there, except for one corner which was my fault.

-- hide signature --
AM4L
OP AM4L Senior Member • Posts: 2,733
Thanks!

Thanks for these replies, I am just listening and will thanks in advance for your replies.  I had my D700 for over 6 years and was able to sell it in E+ condition, so my question is really determining how past D8X0 bodies have held up over two years and retail.

I do feel like the pop-up flash on my D810 is much cheaper than that of my D700, already a tiny scratch which is amazing given the care I take on my cameras.

Of course some of you know I had dust on the sensor on my first pictures as well which largely cleaned off, but seems faintly there in some instances.  That was rather amazing given I haven't had dust bunnies in like 6 years and the lens I first used was pulled right off another camera where I have never had dust yet either.

So maybe just a little concerned given the cost of the camera.. not trying to create drama here which is why I have asked for peoples history on the 800 series given the 810 is so new.  I am just listening to your feedback but since someone asked why I asked I shared the background for my question.

BTW, I have no care whether the camera was made in one place or another, I have not read or heard cause or concern for me to care about that so its not in my mind.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +29 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,367

SangYuP wrote:

M Lammerse wrote:

AM4L wrote:

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

Hi Mark,

The wear I notice is the main grip rubber (I'm on my second now) the paint on the plus button (zoom in) is gone and the multi selector is squeaking a bit when moving around. Besides this the AF-ON button got a bit lesser 'punchy' so to say. Temperature differences seem to be the problem in relation to the rubber. Several Japanese colleagues of me replaced the rubber on their D800 as well, some more than the one time I did. The camera is since day one functioning well and i had with the exception of the rubber replacement not any kind of replacement

Michel

That's interesting as the rubber grip on my D800 and D300 are both fine and have never been replaced. The paint on the buttons are still okay as well and I use the AF-ON button all the time I would expect that button to show the most wear but it's still good. The oil/sweat from each person is different so maybe that affects it as well?

Hi SangYup,

I think the amount of usage and also taking care has a lot to do with wear. I can't say I'm quite careful with my camera's in the sense of usage and maintenance. I often stand with them in rain, or other nasty (sweaty) weather. So indeed my sweaty fingers in the mushi atsui Japanese climate may well be a reason, but I'm not the only one 'complaining' (it's not really a problem, just a sign of wear) about it.

Have to say that my D3S had already changed the rubbers several times, and many others mentioned this as well. The rubber and how/with what it is sticked to the body is different from that of the D3/D4/D800 series than the lower series. My old and heavily used D300 also has not any kind of loose rubber.

Michel

InTheMist
InTheMist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,078

AM4L wrote:

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

My D800 has been dropped, sprayed with salt water, covered in dust, frozen and generally beat for I guess around two years now.  I think I'm around 50k activations now?  Maybe 40k.

The power switch is getting a little creaky, but that's it.

There is some cosmetic scratches, and screen protector is trashed. I would make some pictures, but it's on a tripod shooting a time lapse for the last 48 hours.

Sorry for the iPhone pic

-- hide signature --

Are you a photographer or a technician?
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M-Monochrom Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +18 more
AM4L

InTheMist wrote:

AM4L wrote:

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

My D800 has been dropped, sprayed with salt water, covered in dust, frozen and generally beat for I guess around two years now. I think I'm around 50k activations now? Maybe 40k.

The power switch is getting a little creaky, but that's it.

There is some cosmetic scratches, and screen protector is trashed. I would make some pictures, but it's on a tripod shooting a time lapse for the last 48 hours.

Sorry for the iPhone pic

-- hide signature --

Are you a photographer or a technician?
http://inthemistphoto.com

Man, your cameras like a Timex!

Link in case I am dating myself!

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-articles/general/timex-watch-vintage-commercial-videos/

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

manhattan Regular Member • Posts: 286

I take care of my D700, but it sees regular use.  It looks like it is still brand new.  I had the same question. I have seen some year old D800s that look like they are 15!

AM4L

manhattan wrote:

I take care of my D700, but it sees regular use. It looks like it is still brand new. I had the same question. I have seen some year old D800s that look like they are 15!

I am sure people will cry foul or something like that, but I returned it today.

Why? After thinking about it and the fact that the sensor was dirty from the first exposure and that even after running several cleans there were still traces I decided I shouldn't have to live with a dirty sensor from the get go.  It was inspected and determined it was  likely defective and I took the refund.

I may get another, but the build quality really didn't seem the same as the D700 and so I will stew on it for awhile.

I do want to have a backup camera for a wedding next year and the D810 just still seems like it can be a logical choice.  It can produce awesome images.. Just not so sure about its build verses the investment.

Its rather humorous in a sad way, the gentleman that bought my D700 told me he always regretted selling his.  He just received  mine today and I may have inherited his regret because mine was in pristine condition.

BTW, I know what you mean about looking at used 800es, I was rather shocked at some I saw on eBay.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,116

AM4L wrote:

manhattan wrote:

I take care of my D700, but it sees regular use. It looks like it is still brand new. I had the same question. I have seen some year old D800s that look like they are 15!

I am sure people will cry foul or something like that, but I returned it today.

Why? After thinking about it and the fact that the sensor was dirty from the first exposure and that even after running several cleans there were still traces I decided I shouldn't have to live with a dirty sensor from the get go. It was inspected and determined it was likely defective and I took the refund.

I may get another, but the build quality really didn't seem the same as the D700 and so I will stew on it for awhile.

I do want to have a backup camera for a wedding next year and the D810 just still seems like it can be a logical choice. It can produce awesome images.. Just not so sure about its build verses the investment.

Its rather humorous in a sad way, the gentleman that bought my D700 told me he always regretted selling his. He just received mine today and I may have inherited his regret because mine was in pristine condition.

BTW, I know what you mean about looking at used 800es, I was rather shocked at some I saw on eBay.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

I knew you wouldn't keep it. If you had happened to get a bad one ( and I doubt it ) you could have simply exchanged it. As soon as I saw this lame "D8x0 Camera Wear & Tear?" I knew it was going back.

I'm sitting here with a D4, D700, D800e and D810. Only way I might  find a difference in the build is if I threw them at the wall.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 and a bit more "stuff"

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D2H Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500
AM4L

Exactly the reaction I expected..

You can go back to my let the light in post and see that someone else pointed out my sensor was dirty. It never fully came off. Doubt all you want!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54052463

The pop up flash cover is obviously inferior on the D810 compared to the D700. It's a small piece, but it doesn't take wear well at all, it's a rather sad piece of the camera. BTW, I am not the first person to even say this about the popup flash cover..

You can say what you want but it is what it is. That said, I likely will end up with another so don't get all uptight over it. I just want to stew on it a bit.. I am glad you have all those cameras.. If I did I would spend less time here and more using them.

And no, I could not get an instant exchange, I would have to have another sent to me, so I am going to try a different source.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,116

AM4L wrote:

Good reason.

You can go back to my let the light in post and see that someone else pointed out my sensor was dirty. It never fully came off. Doubt all you want!

The pop up flash cover is obviously inferior on the D810 compared to the D700. It's a small piece, but it doesn't take wear well at all, it's a rather sad piece of the camera. BTW, I am not the first person to even say this about the popup flash cover..

If you were interested in shooting images, you wouldn't even have seen the pop up flash cover. That's like looking at your radiator cap and fretting over whether it's as good a quality as they made 6 years ago.

You can say what you want but it is what it is. That said, I likely will end up with another so don't get all uptight over it. I just want to stew on it a bit.. I am glad you have all those cameras.. If I did I would spend less time here and more using them.

You can only use one at a time. But if I thought you'd spend less time here, I'd send you one.

And no, I could not get an instant exchange, I would have to have another sent to me, so I am going to try a different source.

Maybe I can shame you into spending the money again. Buying a camera for a free test drive and returning it. Not impressed.  Next thing your buddy will be bringing his back. Maybe I can shame him into not doing it

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D2H Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500
AM4L

T O Shooter wrote:

AM4L wrote:

Good reason.

If you were interested in shooting images, you wouldn't even have seen the pop up flash cover. That's like looking at your radiator cap and fretting over whether it's as good a quality as they made 6 years ago.

You can only use one at a time. But if I thought you'd spend less time here, I'd send you one.

Maybe I can shame you into spending the money again. Buying a camera for a free test drive and returning it. Not impressed.

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

-- hide signature --

Give me your D4, I am gone for good if you do, promise!

-- hide signature --

Find Your Mind Online!
Book - www.AM4L.com
Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads